Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All very sad. Even if the club no longer choose to celebrate it, DK had a very big and important part to play in our survival, we the fans, will not forget it. Such a shame how it ends imo.

Long live the Dicktator.
    Very sad indeed. It takes two to tango.
    6EQUJ5 2A

• North Stand Chat

advertising

On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      Two big egos and only one winner
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

1 Not allowed!
      It feels like both sides are laying bare their character flaws, sadly.

Dick Knight when running the club, presided over a bit of a clique. These people were all good people but there was a lot of secrecy and nose tapping surrounding everything. The very worst of this was his refusal to inform everyone how the ground was going to be paid for once the sub prime mortgage market collapsed. So in some ways, his exclusion amounts to him getting a taste of his own medicine.

Fast forward to now, and on the whole, the club behaves in a way that exudes class and inclusivity, but this freezing out of a club legend flies in the face of that and makes me think it *might* be as superficial as it looks. No programme acknowledgement of his 80th, no selling of his book at the club shop, even refusing the idea of a ceremonial handing over of the reigns before the opening Amex game - it all smacks of petty, churlish point scoring and an attempt to airbrush out Knight's part of the club's history. Knight has come across as a bit egocentric with some of his behaviour, but is there any need for this? The directors should be better than this.

It makes you wonder how things will be if we ever have any bad times, because let's face it, that hasn't happened yet under this regime but it will one day.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post

Dick Knight when running the club, presided over a bit of a clique. These people were all good people but there was a lot of secrecy and nose tapping surrounding everything. The very worst of this was his refusal to inform everyone how the ground was going to be paid for once the sub prime mortgage market collapsed. So in some ways, his exclusion amounts to him getting a taste of his own medicine.

Fast forward to now, and the club behaves in a way that exudes class and inclusivity, but this freezing out of a club legend flies in the face of that and makes me think it *might* be as superficial as it looks. No programme acknowledgement of his 80th, no selling of his book at the club shop, even refusing the idea of a ceremonial handing over of the reigns before the opening Amex game - it all smacks of petty, churlish point scoring and an attempt to airbrush out Knight's part of the club's history. Knight has come across as a bit egocentric with some of his behaviour, but is there any need for this? The directors should be better than this.

It makes you wonder how things will be if we ever have any bad times, because let's face it, that hasn't happened yet under this regime but it will one day.
      I think Tony Bloom was already providing money in the background, but didn't want it known. He wasn't prepared to take over the club until the planning permission was secured.
      That, and a combination of the steel price soaring through the roof & bank collapses, forced Dick Knight's hand.
      He started Albion in the Community, and had been courting American Express because of it. Then he got ousted from that too.

I think there have been faults on both sides which is very sad.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      I think Tony Bloom was already providing money in the background, but didn't want it known. He wasn't prepared to take over the club until the planning permission was secured.
      That, and a combination of the steel price soaring through the roof & bank collapses, forced Dick Knight's hand.
      He started Albion in the Community, and had been courting American Express because of it. Then he got ousted from that too.

I think there have been faults on both sides which is very sad.
      Yes, agree with all of that. I still remember the nose tapping secrecy even after the steel price movement and tightening on borrowing meant people were worried and we were getting no answers.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

0 Not allowed!
      Where’s Enrest?
      برايتون حتى أموت

1 Not allowed!
      It takes
      your mum
      to tango.

0 Not allowed!

Fast forward to now, and on the whole, the club behaves in a way that exudes class and inclusivity, but this freezing out of a club legend flies in the face of that and makes me think it *might* be as superficial as it looks. No programme acknowledgement of his 80th, no selling of his book at the club shop, even refusing the idea of a ceremonial handing over of the reigns before the opening Amex game - it all smacks of petty, churlish point scoring and an attempt to airbrush out Knight's part of the club's history. Knight has come across as a bit egocentric with some of his behaviour, but is there any need for this? The directors should be better than this.

Personally, it seems to me that, at the heart of a lot of the problems is the stereotypical difference in approach to life and business one might expect between an ad man famous for the “Hello Boys” Wonderbra ad, and a money/detail-oriented man who’s made his money from extracting tiny points of arbitrage and property development. It’s very rare that a marketing man and a money man will get on particularly well... they just do things differently.
      6EQUJ5 2A

1 Not allowed!
      Yes, agree with all of that. I still remember the nose tapping secrecy even after the steel price movement and tightening on borrowing meant people were worried and we were getting no answers.
      I might also add that DK doesn't forget the fans. I've been to several funerals except Mary Emery as it was the same day as my cousin's, and Dick had been present at each and every one.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.
      Absolutely Sheeboed Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      To be fair though, there WERE no answers. These were unparalleled times and there was no way the banks were lending money to anyone for anything at all, they were just focusing on not going under. We were in a uniquely fortunate position to have a massive fan with very deep pockets else we would have been scrabbling around for years following the planning permission to scrape together a deal for the cash to build the stadium, doubtless with all manner of grim strings attached.

How many clubs are lucky enough to have both a DK and TB fighting their corner to deliver a world-class stadium?
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson