Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Just how good is Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band?

How do you rate Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Great Album by a great band at the peak of their powers.

I must admit though Sgt Pepper is not an album i listen to very often. Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, The White Album all feature on my play list far more. Although it might be time for me to give it a another listen.

For the record I love the Kinks, Stones, Beach Boys, Cream, Pink Floyd and many other 60's bands. Although I don't see any reason that this should diminish my love for the Fab Four.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Likewise, you had to be there to appreciate just how amazing it was at the time.

Hearing it at the time it came out must have been mind blowing, it was way ahead of it's time as has been said many times before.

Rubber Soul is also an incredible album, just second to Pepper for me and then Abbey Road. All of their albums were on another level though.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Surely the White Album was by far the best? At the zenith of their creative, drugged-up genius, in my opinion. Sgt Pepper I’d consider the precursor, but frankly a bit dull in parts.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Surely the White Album was by far the best? At the zenith of their creative, drugged-up genius, in my opinion. Sgt Pepper I’d consider the precursor, but frankly a bit dull in parts.

Points taken off for the fact that it contains Honey Pie, Piggies and ObladiOblada.

But you're right, I'd say the highs on that album (Glass Onion, Sexy Sadie, Julia) are potentially them at their zenith.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Points taken off for the fact that it contains Honey Pie, Piggies and ObladiOblada.

But you're right, I'd say the highs on that album (Glass Onion, Sexy Sadie, Julia) are potentially them at their zenith.
Indeed, I’d mostly agree, although I am quite fond of ObladiOblada. Generally, I think the White Album is more John than Paul, and Sgt Peppers vice versa. I do find Paul rather bland, with “She’s Leaving Home” one of the dreariest songs on the planet. Sexy Sadie, Revolution and Dear Prudence top it for me, but so many good songs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I came to SPLHCB late having only purchased it 5 or 6 years ago.

What struck me was two things:

1. How influential the music of the album has been to subsequent artists.
2. The bravery of the sheer diversity of sounds and composition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here