Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
703.png
662.png

Brighton v Manchester United

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Friday 4th May 2018
Kick-off: 20:00 BST
Referee: Craig Pawson
Assistants: Steve Child, Stuart Burt
Fourth official: Stuart Attwell

TEAM NEWS

Brighton & Hove Albion have midfielder Davy Propper available after a three-match suspension.

Steve Sidwell is the Seagulls' only absentee as he continues his recovery from an ankle injury.

Manchester United will be without striker Romelu Lukaku, who was substituted with an ankle injury in the victory over Arsenal last weekend.

Phil Jones should be fit after a hamstring issue and fellow central defender Eric Bailly is also available.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce:
"Brighton can't rely on the teams below them collapsing. They might need another point for safety. Fridays suit them, and with a roaring Amex under the lights they could do it against a United side virtually guaranteed second place. Jose Mourinho will be selecting teams with the FA Cup final in mind.

"Lukaku's injury will be a bonus for Brighton, who are still suspect defending set pieces. At the other end he'll be missed when Shane Duffy and Lewis Dunk come up. Watch for a Duffy opener. He's due one.

"It could be tricky for the visitors, and a point might bring a few United moans. Brighton will be ecstatic."

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "You have to go into every game thinking you can get a result - we'll be buoyed by our previous matches but United are in a good rhythm - these are the challenges we've worked so hard for.

"We have an opportunity on Friday to do ourselves a big favour. If we can perform as well as we did against them on the previous two occasions then we give ourselves a chance."

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho on Brighton and Hughton: "Very, very good - to go from very, very good to amazing he just needs to mathematically confirm the Premier League for next season.

"I think they don't need more points, I think they have the job done, but mathematically they still need a point or something or other results to go their way.

"I think Brighton will be there next year and that's a fantastic job for Chris and not surprising for me because since the start they have showed the quality and mentality to get the points they need to stay in the division."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton's only win in 18 previous meetings was 1-0 at home in 1982.
    [*=left]United have won the last four encounters in all competitions, without conceding a goal. However, all of these games were at Old Trafford.

Brighton

• [*=left]Brighton are winless in six Premier League games, including three at home.
    [*=left]Their goalless draw with Burnley was the first time they kept a clean sheet in 14 attempts.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have conceded 14 goals from corners in the league this season, four more than any other team in the competition.
    [*=left]They have won six of their last seven home league games played on a Friday, drawing the other, since a 1-0 defeat against Wolves on 1 January 2016.
    [*=left]Chris Hughton's only competitive win as a manager against Manchester United came in November 2012 when his Norwich City side triumphed 1-0 at home in the Premier League. His teams have lost their other six competitive fixtures versus the Red Devils by an aggregate score of 15-0.
    [*=left]With six goals and eight assists, Pascal Gross has been directly involved in 44% of Brighton's 32 Premier League goals this season. Only Liverpool's Mohamed Salah has been involved in a higher share of his team's goals, with 50%.

Man Utd

• [*=left]Manchester United have won three away games in a row in the Premier League. They haven't won four in a row since April 2017.
    [*=left]United have lost at Newcastle and Huddersfield in the Premier League this season - they've never lost away against three promoted sides in a single top-flight campaign.
    [*=left]They are the only team in the Premier League yet to draw a game in 2018.
    [*=left]Paul Pogba has been directly involved in four goals in his last four Premier League games, with three goals and an assist.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
sw-day_960x486_fff5d81b.jpg

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I woke up at 5:30 this morning feeling great!

It’s a beautiful morning to herald a warm and sunny bank holiday weekend.

The Sun is shining through the morning mist.

And we’re going to beat Man United later in front of a fantastic crowd at an amazing stadium.

Lovely!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Going to try and stay up for this one, but after a few pints at local from 7pm which closes at midnight it should prove a hard task, just hope it isn't an own goal, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We wheel win tonight!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Pumped up, lets be the 12th man tonight and unlike last season finish the season in style

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
[*=left]They have won six of their last seven home league games played on a Friday, drawing the other, since a 1-0 defeat against Wolves on 1 January 2016.

[/list]
That's us ****ed

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
They won't be able to handle Gross's pace now he's discovered under armour and lightweight boots , Dunk will score a worldy and Propper will introduce himself to the goal stats with a cheeky chip 2-0 .

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It's strange that this is the game we've waited 30 plus years for, home to the world beating Manchester United in the top league, and yet it seems a bit of a let down. This was the game that many looked for when the fixtures came out saying at the time 'I'll go to that game' but after 35 incredible games along comes just another game.
Despite all the worries, very few 'away' fans have sneaked in to the home seats at these big matches. Kids now support the Albion rather than a team 100's of miles away they see on TV each week.
The club have done us proud this season and tonight they will round off a hard season by not loosing.
As for the placards for shirts, rather than say don't have them how about every kid in the ground has one for every Albion player.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We've only ever beaten Man Utd once and that was before my time watching football.

Please let's have all the luck we need and a famous victory tonight.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
A draw (in my mind and hopefully mathematically speaking - I'm looking at Hudds next 2 games here) will be pretty much as good as a win where the table is concerned. Yes we'll be favourites to lose, of course, and shouldn't get ahead of ourselves... but tonight does feel a bit special. I'm going for a draw ala Spurs and the Amex rocking all through, celebrating it like a win...

We'll lose 5-1 now :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's strange that this is the game we've waited 30 plus years for, home to the world beating Manchester United in the top league, and yet it seems a bit of a let down. This was the game that many looked for when the fixtures came out saying at the time 'I'll go to that game' but after 35 incredible games along comes just another game.
Despite all the worries, very few 'away' fans have sneaked in to the home seats at these big matches. Kids now support the Albion rather than a team 100's of miles away they see on TV each week.
The club have done us proud this season and tonight they will round off a hard season by not loosing.
As for the placards for shirts, rather than say don't have them how about every kid in the ground has one for every Albion player.

I don't feel like this at all.........absolutely buzzing for it. Last home game after a superb season (exceeding most expectations) and most importantly chance of a result and guaranteed safety, and I do love a Friday night game too. Hope the atmosphere is fizzing - although if plenty have your slightly downbeat view it may not be.........

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here