Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spanish Dale

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I love this story. I'm reminded of the thread someone did here not so long back, asking for what we missed most about being in the League; there's something very 'honest' about football at that level, and the PL does knock chips out of it it feels to me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43966915

Will Jesus the Spanish Rochdale superfan help save the club from League One relegation on his first visit to Spotland on Saturday?

His fellow supporters certainly hope so and they have raised £500 to fly the 26-year-old, who discovered the club while playing computer game Fifa in 2009, to Greater Manchester.

Jesus Sanchez is leaving Spain for the first time in his life on Friday to watch Dale's final game of the season against Charlton, with survival at stake.

A win may not be enough for Rochdale, who are relying on rivals Oldham to drop points to avoid relegation.

But some fans are convinced that Sanchez, who is known by his Twitter handle 'Spanish Dale', will bring the team good luck.

"They told me in our WhatsApp group that 'Jesus is coming to save us'," Sanchez told BBC Sport.

Last year Dale fans rallied together and raised nearly £500 to get Sanchez to Greater Manchester, paying for flights, his first ever passport and an account for him to watch their games online - while he was able to watch their FA Cup replay against Tottenham at Wembley on Spanish TV.

He had become a hit on social media among the Dale fanbase with hundreds of passionate tweets about the club.

And despite being 1,000 miles away in Albecete south-east Spain, Sanchez shows his love of Rochdale in his home city, wearing the team's colours to local basketball and football games.

Now finally, his ambition to visit Spotland is about to come true and he is looking forward to seeing his favourite players including captain Ian Henderson and forward Calvin Andrew and possibly trying a pie.

"It was a surprise, like a dream," said Sanchez. "I felt a bit bad because they are giving me their money to go, but I am very grateful. I never thought this could happen.

"I would have preferred that Rochdale are in a better position to stay in the league, but I think it is possible they can stay up. I am excited to go there, for the atmosphere and being with the fans."

Sanchez came across Dale, who were in League Two at the time, while playing Fifa in 2009.

"I wanted a team with low budget, that I could get to the Premier League and win everything, I also liked the logo and the colours," explained the transport student.

Rochdale, who have an average home attendance of just under 3,500 this season, say they are planning a special welcome for Sanchez.

"As a club, we think it's an absolutely fantastic gesture," said press officer Leighanne Coyle. "The generosity shown by supporters to contribute towards this fund has been amazing.

"Through his use of social media, it is great to see how passionate Jesus is about Rochdale, despite living in Spain. It's obvious he loves all things Dale."

Season ticket holder John Beckett, who was behind the idea - he set up a discussion on a Rochdale website forum - will host Sanchez, having also met him out in Spain last year.

"Hopefully Jesus will arrive and Rochdale will stay up," he said.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Yeah I really liked this too. It's made me really hope they stay up. Jesus will be their talisman. I also love that he chose Dale due to their lowly status :)

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I heard the fella talking on the radio today. I liked him.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Meh - he should support his local team. Plastic wannabee.

Don’t be whooshed now...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
"Jesus is coming to save us" very good. I saw this guy on TV last weekend, he looks totally bewildered by the whole thing. Got to Love Rochdale FC for this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here