Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Definition of the Perfect album-Very few albums will cut the mustard on this

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Found this on Facebook. :

"So here's an even more impossible challenge. The Perfect Album. No lists, just one record.

You have to believe that every track is sublime and presented in exactly the right order to maintain narrative and artistic consistency. All killer, no filler. You must be willing to defend every track convincingly, even under pain of torture (though that's highly unlikely to happen).

It has to be an album that you can never imagine yourself thinking 'Oooh, I'm not in the mood for that right now' because it will be an album that fits your every mood (although 'the album is so perfect/moving/exhausting/exhilarating/painful that I can't listen to it right now' will be accepted as a viable defence).

It must be the perfect length with the perfect cover (right down to the fonts).

Ideally, it should have had a profound effect in the broader world but I'm okay if it's just touched you or someone you know in a profound way even though no-one else ever heard it.

It doesn't have to be your favourite album, not by a long chalk. Just one
that you consider flawless.

In summation - a perfect musical artefact in every sense"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Carole King - Tapestry

Side 1

"I Feel the Earth Move" – 3:00
"So Far Away" – 3:55
"It's Too Late" (lyrics by Toni Stern) – 3:54
"Home Again" – 2:29
"Beautiful" – 3:08
"Way Over Yonder" – 4:49
Side 2

"You've Got a Friend" – 5:09
"Where You Lead" (lyrics by Carole King and Toni Stern) – 3:20
"Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" (Gerry Goffin, King) – 4:13
"Smackwater Jack" (Goffin, King) – 3:42
"Tapestry" – 3:15
"(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" (Goffin, King, Jerry Wexler) – 3:59

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Secret life of plants is the only album i don't skip a track when it's playing in the car , so that . Plus it winds everyone else up on long trips :)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Pretty much the same thread as I did last night

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Orbital - In sides.

though have to take issue with the criteria of "maintain a narrative". very few albums have a narrative, they are a collection of work not necessarily a story.
and there's no such thing as perfect length or cover.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Johnny Osbourne 'Truths and Rights' - Studio One reggae

I loved every tune on it. Tune from the album 'Nah skin up' was the first reggae tune played on BBC1Xtra when they started. :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Between 3 for me;

Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights - the best debut album of all time. Unbelievably assured, gorgeous rich textures and a stunningly thick atmosphere. Artwork, fonts, cover all SO cohesively hold it together with the bands look and style also.

David Bowie - Low - some songs IN ISOLATION may not hold up but when listened to as an album in order, they all do.

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall - the recent BBC4 documentary on MJ focuses heavily on this album and showed what a genius piece of work it is.

7807149A-B37D-444A-9479-F2ACF7563072.jpeg

On further reflection, has to be Interpol for me. Just perfection to my ears.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Orbital - In sides.

though have to take issue with the criteria of "maintain a narrative". very few albums have a narrative, they are a collection of work not necessarily a story.
and there's no such thing as perfect length or cover.

Exactly. What's the narrative on, say, the Beatles' white album?

And while we're on the subject, I've always maintained that that could have been the perfect album if they hadn't made it into a double. In the days of cassettes I once boiled it down to 45 minutes and it was a killer. No Revolution 9, no Rocky Raccoon or Honey Pie ...

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Never Mind The.PNG

All killer
Pivotal
Iconic cover
And , yes I dare say it could fit into any mood, except maybe a candle lit dinner for two.

Bubbling under, I would say :
Machine Gun Etiquette - The Damned
Highway To Hell - AC/DC

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here