Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Club insensitivity re crimes of state of Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Start of a new trend. Players to apologise for tenuous national wrongdoing. Dunk and Stephens to apologise for socks with sandals, Duffy for Mrs Brown's Boys, Izquierdo for the part cocaine played in the death of John Belushi, Knockaert to apologise for the execution of Knight Templar Jacques De Molay and Uwe to apologise for Kraftwerk being so crap at bringing out new albums.

Davy Propper to apologise for Elvis Manu

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
So you're saying that the Israeli players should change their birthdays? Have official ones, in say June (like the queen), and then they can appear on the calendar then. Would that be acceptable?

Speaking as someone who has always been pro-Palestinian I do think action such as you have taken (emailing the club over calendar pictures) actually do more harm than good. You haven't advanced the cause one iota, indeed I suspect those who claim you're on a fishing trip are correct: I suspect you're actually an Israeli sympathiser who wants to make Palestinian supporters look like Permanently Outraged simpletons. Congratulations, judging by the a lot of the other responses on here - you've succeeded

Good point.

I actually just think he's a ****.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
... or alternatively, an excellent month in which to feature such players, in order to remind the world that despite the very fraught history of the Israel/Palestine part of the world in the last 70 years, sport can be a mechanism through which two men from the two divided communities in that part of the world can work together, play together and be brothers in the best sense of the word. Doing that does nothing to trivialise the historical point that the creation of the state of Israel as you put it "started the brutal suppression of the indigenous Palestinian population" (and neither does it take away from the parallel historical truth that Israel's creation also provided a safe haven for one of the world's most persecuted minorities, in the immediate afternath of a Holocaust in which 6 million of them were brutally exterminated).

You, sir, have achieved what I thought virtually impossible, namely starting an NSC thread on a controversial political topic, which has (after 10 pages so far) achieved almost total unanimity in response from posters of the full range of persuasions. Hats off.

If anything, by coming out with a statement so ridiculous that divided factions become united in their incredulity, he's actually solved the Middle East crisis. I'd be sticking him on the first plane to Tel Aviv forthwith.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Matty to apologise for the ball tampering, sledging and general Aussie bad grace, Bruno to apologise for the Armada, Pascal to apologise for Germany being too good at penalties in 1990 and 1996.......

Lewis Dunk to apologise for James Corden & Craig David.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Anyone know where I can find a football forum about Brighton and Hove Albion , rather than a forum constantly hi-jacked by the politically motivated, nutters, trolls, brexiteers, remainers, Corbynistas and tory bashers all carrying their soap boxes.

Please....fvck off to Speakers Corner ( if it still exists) this weekend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Following the usual cul-de-sacs and irrelevancies it is usual for message boards to generate I hope this is my very final statement.
I am not sure what I am supposed to be fishing for
Nobody has once mentioned the central point of my argument - May 2018 is the 70th anniversary of the founding of the State Of Israel which started the brutal suppression of the indigenous Palestinian population.
A bad month to feature Israeli players regardless of their religious or ethnic background
It is all about the date!
Everyone has mentioned it, but nobody has said what you want to hear.

Do you, by chance, live in Haywards Heath and support Spurs?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Following the usual cul-de-sacs and irrelevancies it is usual for message boards to generate I hope this is my very final statement.
I am not sure what I am supposed to be fishing for
Nobody has once mentioned the central point of my argument - May 2018 is the 70th anniversary of the founding of the State Of Israel which started the brutal suppression of the indigenous Palestinian population.
A bad month to feature Israeli players regardless of their religious or ethnic background
It is all about the date!

Yes, we never mentioned my Mum's birthday, because she was born on September 3rd. Would have been outrageous to celebrate that date.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Hang on, if we're complaining about the calendar, we should be complaining in no uncertain terms that out of 22 player photos plus Chris Hughton, there is NO PHOTO OF GAETAN BONG!

Racist ********

As I understand it, the calendar organiser was given a list of names but when they got to Bong their researcher (who liked a 'smoke') found the wrong image.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
This has to be a p**s take, surely?
If the OP is serious then surely shouldn't he scour the history books for events that occurred in each and every month to ensure that by publishing a picture of any given player the club hasn't supported some form of outrage, oppression, etc. Every single day MUST be the anniversary of something terrible , and given the size and national diversity of the playing squad the chances must be very high that any player is a national of a country that has in some way has in the past done something pretty awful in the month of their birth. No country or Government in history has clean hands (Including the component parts of the UK- much as we like to think we are a beacon of all that is good- our past has some pretty horrific moments). I love seeing Flag Corner on match day, the Spanish, Israeli, Argentinian , French flags that I have seen over the past few years aren't supporting the national governments of those countries they are showing pride and support in players who have chosen to grace the club, long may it continue and long may that continue, along with putting players pictures in a football calendar

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
dear pul barber,

I am a white man and I don't like blue so why muyst ther be blue stripes to on our t-shirt? it is dissemination against white people and I for one am appealed please send me my money backj for my seson ticket barber out. blue is also the color that hilary wore during the election nad it represents the deeps state and the gonverment oppression wich is designed to suppres my freedoms and I feel that the amex corporation is also respondsible for behnghazi barber out.

ps I hope we beat man u on Friday

bye

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
dear pul barber,

I am a white man and I don't like blue so why muyst ther be blue stripes to on our t-shirt? it is dissemination against white people and I for one am appealed please send me my money backj for my seson ticket barber out. blue is also the color that hilary wore during the election nad it represents the deeps state and the gonverment oppression wich is designed to suppres my freedoms and I feel that the amex corporation is also respondsible for behnghazi barber out.

ps I hope we beat man u on Friday

bye
[MENTION=21347]JamesAndTheGiantHead[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] are the same person? Who knew?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nice when something brings the entire board together.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills