Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Thread closed ???

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The PLO, RAF, ETA all met Sinn Fein too. Were they also ahead of the curve?

The people who brought peace to N Ireland did so by bringing Sinn Fein to the negotiating table. I've got an extensive library of books about the Troubles and there's not a single line about Corbyn offering to act as a mediator between SF and the UK government. His relationship wasn't to bring them to the table but was support for their cause.

He had their confidence for 20 plus years yet none of the main players sought to exploit his unique friendship with SF and as I've said, he didn't offer anything either.

Corbyn was no pacifist when it came to N Ireland, numerous times he could have declined to glorify IRA terrorists and he never once expressed anything other than a ready willingness to join in. These are not the actions of someone promoting non-violence and peace.

Corbyn's relationship with SF/IRA had any affect or influence on the peace process.

No, I don't think he had much influence at the time, because our government then was in full-on war mode. SF wanted to talk but not many wanted to, and of those who did, Corbyn certainly didn't have much influence. Nevertheless his chosen method was the one which ultimately proved successful.

I just think its ridiculous he's being vilified for attempting the same means of dialogue that eventually put an end to the troubles

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No, I don't think he had much influence at the time, because our government then was in full-on war mode. SF wanted to talk but not many wanted to, and of those who did, Corbyn certainly didn't have much influence. Nevertheless his chosen method was the one which ultimately proved successful.

I just think its ridiculous he's being vilified for attempting the same means of dialogue that eventually put an end to the troubles
His chosen method of dialogue was NOT the same as the one that ultimately brought peace. That Seamus Mallon quote is completely damning: Corbyn was an IRA sympathiser.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Just as well.......If I lose.....I just ban people! (I need to explain to the uneducated, this comment is nothing more than a joke, I am not a power mad mod! I care about all who use NSC and only want to help people, please don't judge me on a comment.................AS I WILL ****ING BAN YOU!!!) ...(THE LAST 6 WORDS REALLY ARE ME BEING A COMEDIAN, i WOULDN'T REALLY BAN YOU XXX) BOLLOCKS....i left the caps lock on.......sorry

Don't make me laugh.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Welcome to snowflake central/Harry wilsons tackle world :D

This message is hidden because x is on your ignore list

You're great Harry :bowdown:

Completely agree Harry :love:

Right as usual Harry :kiss:

Well said :thumbsup:

When the new politics/all other topics section is set up perhaps a safespace for Hwt and his thumb chum could be added :angel:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I'm no Corbyn fan, but surely he was protesting against the injustice of the H-Block system which had been preceded by interment without trial, which sensible people could see was stoking the flames of terrorism. I can't believe for one minute that Corbyn actually supported IRA bombs going off on mainland UK.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here