Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] UBER Licence Revoked in Brighton and Hove

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
After trying to use taxis in East St to get to Hassocks. Were quoted £40/45 by 2 drivers. Used Uber £25

And there in lies the problem in many places. I went to Amsterdam at the beggining of November. Caught a cab from the airport to our hotel - big mini-bus type - cost 48 Euros. While there I thought I'd see if Uber would work - it did. Hotel to airport using Uber - 27 Euros ..... in a spotless BMW. Standard cab firms have been caught being lazy for too long. If they brought their service levels, ease of use and prices closer to Ubers than Uber would fail. They only have themselves to blame.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
And there in lies the problem in many places. I went to Amsterdam at the beggining of November. Caught a cab from the airport to our hotel - big mini-bus type - cost 48 Euros. While there I thought I'd see if Uber would work - it did. Hotel to airport using Uber - 27 Euros ..... in a spotless BMW. Standard cab firms have been caught being lazy for too long. If they brought their service levels, ease of use and prices closer to Ubers than Uber would fail. They only have themselves to blame.

It is quite literally, as simple as this.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Keep hearing this but how? Uber are still shedding cash right left and centre - Should everyone else have to operate at a massive loss?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Get Uber when I'm in Amsterdam - when I need it, but they did have dodgy practices out there when they started. Worse than over here.

... and what was wrong with the train :) It's much quicker than a cab in Amsterdam.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have now used Uber a couple of times but I think I'll reserve for emergencies. The big advantage in calling for a cab is that you can get an estimated time of arrival and can decline it. With Uber, you don't get an estimated time until after you've booked it and then have to pay a cancellation charge if you decide the wait is too long - as I found out this week.
Normally you can see on the map how many ubers are in the area

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Great news. Taxi’s and traditional private hire companies failed to move with the times and are now paying the price. It’s about time. I even knew of a few Birghton and Hove taxi drivers who viewed their ‘plate’ as their retirement. How can that be? A plate is surely simply a licence from the council to operate.

The sensible cabbies will join Uber (or Lyft as and when they are sure to appear)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Great news. Taxi’s and traditional private hire companies failed to move with the times and are now paying the price. It’s about time. I even knew of a few Birghton and Hove taxi drivers who viewed their ‘plate’ as their retirement. How can that be? A plate is surely simply a licence from the council to operate.

The sensible cabbies will join Uber (or Lyft as and when they are sure to appear)

Can’t bear those smelly Peugeot Taxis Streamline use, clunky stinky things!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't know whether you've spotted the option yet but on the Uber app you can now pay for a family members fare if they get stuck somewhere and track them in the Uber. Gives myself and Mrs W peace of mind when Miss W is out.

No I hadn't. What a brilliant idea. Cheers mate

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting one from Denver centre to the airport. In the past I have used supershuttle who wanted $64 one way.

I contacted UBER in the app and this guy picked up the fare for $43. I got chatting to him and he worked for the local transport authority ( road systems) and he used UBER as extra money. He used to leave work in Denver, log on and see if any fares were about. If he wanted, he would pick up...if not he didn't

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• A1DCBF7F-BE95-4663-AFB6-F30AA160DB82.jpeg
    A1DCBF7F-BE95-4663-AFB6-F30AA160DB82.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 180

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
3. Right wing minded who don’t mind a wage and employment rights race-to-the-bottom as long as it’s not their profession being shafted.

I know quite a few very left-wing folk in Brighton and Lewes who only ever use Uber. They detest paying the fares set by the councils for Hackneys/Private Hire.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know quite a few very left-wing folk in Brighton and Lewes who only ever use Uber. They detest paying the fares set by the councils for Hackneys/Private Hire.

I think it was [MENTION=12211]The Spanish[/MENTION] who said Uber users know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. Have to agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here