Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] UBER Licence Revoked in Brighton and Hove

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Booooo .......

I wonder how much money changed hands for that decision ?

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
So this only relates to B&H Hackney/Private licence Uber, if they are licensed elsewhere (say Adur) then they can carry on operating in the city. Needless to say the council reasoning to revoke is dubious, they point to a data breach of Uber's data back in 2016 and say that due to this Uber are "not a fit and proper entity to hold such a licence". I wonder if they have carried out stress testing on the other local firms to see if their databases hold up to a attempted hack (I doubt very much a local firm would have the same security protocols as Uber!!!). In my opinion this is just an excuse for the council to buckle under the pressure that local taxi firm's are applying to them. Uber provides a safe and reliable alternative to local firms for many people and is very useful for tourists visiting the city who want a recognisable firm to get them from A-B. Its the public's choice to chose who they want to use not the councils, the council should embrace firms like Uber, not reject them!

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16197107.Uber_licence_revoked_in_Brighton_and_Hove/

"The decision was unanimous with some interesting reasons given, such as no wheelchair access vehicles and failure to recruit Brighton based drivers.

The licensing panel of Councillor Jacqui O'Quinn (Lab), Councillor Lynda Hyde (Con) and Councillor Lizzie Deane (Green), interrogated the speakers.

None of the three councillors has the Uber app or has ever hailed an Uber."

Wow, nothing like having a council panel who are open to the idea of Uber!!!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The licensing panel of Councillor Jacqui O'Quinn (Lab), Councillor Lynda Hyde (Con) and Councillor Lizzie Deane (Green), interrogated the speakers.

None of the three councillors has the Uber app or has ever hailed an Uber."[/I]

Wow, nothing like having a council panel who are open to the idea of Uber!!!

Probably a good job considering the data breach.

It will be interesting to see what the Nsc cabbies think of this.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well seeing as it can take 8 months to get a B&HCC PHL including extensive knowledge tests, English tests (yes I know) and a fairly tough 5 destinations with an examiner next to you seeing the route you take to random places and finally an NVQ, most new recruits head to LDC and get a PHL there in 8 weeks and be able to operate in Brighton!!!

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
Did my knowledge in 6 months 12 out of 15 destinations chosen at random by the quickest and least expensive route , no nvq test req now , when cross border hiring is changed by the government as in tfl words "it is not fit for purpose" only b and h licenced drivers will be able to operate within b and h city bounderies

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So this only relates to B&H Hackney/Private licence Uber, if they are licensed elsewhere (say Adur) then they can carry on operating in the city. Needless to say the council reasoning to revoke is dubious, they point to a data breach of Uber's data back in 2016 and say that due to this Uber are "not a fit and proper entity to hold such a licence". I wonder if they have carried out stress testing on the other local firms to see if their databases hold up to a attempted hack (I doubt very much a local firm would have the same security protocols as Uber!!!). In my opinion this is just an excuse for the council to buckle under the pressure that local taxi firm's are applying to them. Uber provides a safe and reliable alternative to local firms for many people and is very useful for tourists visiting the city who want a recognisable firm to get them from A-B. Its the public's choice to chose who they want to use not the councils, the council should embrace firms like Uber, not reject them!

Indeed. GDPR could be fun for the local firms. Remember folks the taxi firm will have to ask you explictly if they can hold your phone number and say what they want to do with it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Good. Don't like Uber. Never used it, doubt I ever will. Same with Air B&B. No time for these new-fangled ideas. We managed just fine without them.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I wonder if the council will close down our local GP surgeries then?? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/17/security-breach-fears-26-million-nhs-patients/

Not all doctors at surgeries are from Brighton and i'm sure their resilience to stress testing would be called into doubt as was seen last year. This statement is devisive and in today's word coud be considered racist, next thing will be only Brighton born players can play for us, because non of the councillors have actually been to a match. Do as I say, don't do as I do,dreadful decision. With Uber technology Warbuoys would have been caught very quickly.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Taxi drivers have to spend months learning their trade and have all kinds of strict rules to adhere to like car safety (there's a strict taxi MOT), police checks and so on. Uber and it's drivers hasn't had to go through these.

It's all "ok" until some convicted crim picks up a young girls or you're doing 70 along the A27 in a Uber car and the wheel falls off. Then the council would be shot from every angle.

Taxis are pretty expensive. But they are amongst the safest cabs in the world and unfortunately there's a cost to that.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Good. Don't like Uber. Never used it, doubt I ever will. Same with Air B&B. No time for these new-fangled ideas. We managed just fine without them.

If you not used UBER or AirBNB then how do you know you don't like it ? You might love it . Uber in Brighton was / is great . Its half the price sometimes - half the price of a normal rip off taxi . Airbnb fantastic been using it for years and I rent rooms out in my house . Met wonderful people from all over the world . Its brilliant . Its also 10 years old so its hardly "new - fangled " . Its called change and progress my friend .
If it really bothers you take a ride on the Volks railway - thats still running . It only goes to one place though . However I expect that would probably suit you down to the ground .

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton

Our local taxi firm neads competition,they are shocking at times when attending a booking

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here