Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Blimey. British government 'wants a word' with Zuckerberg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You're quite correct to say the majority of Cabinet Members voted Remain (as opposed to Leave), reflecting - roughly - the same ratio across the Tory benches.

However, that has now been largely washed away with what has happened since June 2016. The referendum was a poorly-written piece of legislation in the first place making no attempt to define what would happen in the event of a 'Leave' victory.

So given a blank piece of paper, there were any number of things the government could have done immediately post-vote (and in the mid- to longer-term); none of them were enshrined in law. What they have done represents the worst of all world, as is in a rushed, unprepared manner and (in some cases) ignorant of protocol and law, is dive headlong into a series of negotiations which no-one around the world can actually believe of a serving UK government. There are hardly any (neutral) observers who believe the UK is going to benefit from the current path being taken.

accepting that the government has been vague and leaderless on Brexit, what should they have done post vote? because the alternatives usually offered are either to ignore the referendum or have another, responses intended to simplistically overrule the majority of voters. if perhaps the remains had/would offer alternative scenarios, there might have been more productive progress? such a weak leader has never had a viable path for them to follow other than "respect the result, leave means leave" etc, etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
accepting that the government has been vague and leaderless on Brexit, what should they have done post vote?
Be a bit more forthright and reasonable with regard to due process? The skulduggery surrounding the way the government have tried to railroad Brexit through and attempting to insist they are not accountable to the Commons (and now the Lords) is absolutely shameful.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Don't be obtuse.
In a government for whom Brexit means Brexit in the face of every piece of evidence that it will massively damage our economy; where Remainers support Brexit for a place on the front bench; where power had been bought by a shameless deal with the DUP; where we employ he tactics of fear and of Nazi Germany, to remove illegal immigrants and turn them against legal citizens based on little more than the colour of their skin; where politicians shamelessly lie to Parliament and the people, where they pay for personal data for their use and benefit then raise their hands in horror when it comes out; where we allow children quite shamelessly to starve or freeze to death at our borders. where th homeless are fined for being on the streets... I could go on. But you talk of political argue and haggle over semantics.
Well here the semantics I offer you. The one word that constantly comes up when talking about our politics today is "shameless."
Well I am ashamed to be British if this is what Britain - Tory Britain - has becone.

Rant over. I will go back to football thanks.

You've every reason to be ashamed. I'd be ashamed too if I'd written what you've just written.

You're clearly using words you don't understand, you're dismissing your use of mutually exclusive arguments as 'semantics' and you've chucked in Godwin's Law for good measure.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You've every reason to be ashamed. I'd be ashamed too if I'd written what you've just written.

You're clearly using words you don't understand, you're dismissing your use of mutually exclusive arguments as 'semantics' and you've chucked in Godwin's Law for good measure.

Every statement I CV have made is a simple truth about Tory Britain today.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Be a bit more forthright and reasonable with regard to due process? The skulduggery surrounding the way the government have tried to railroad Brexit through and attempting to insist they are not accountable to the Commons (and now the Lords) is absolutely shameful.

question was more what alternative policies could have been followed, not how they might pursue them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
question was more what alternative policies could have been followed, not how they might pursue them.

No it wasn't. You replied to this: "So given a blank piece of paper, there were any number of things the government could have done immediately post-vote"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here