Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] One billion

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
OT - Another bit of standardization, sorry standardisation was that apparently in printing 'Font' is an American term, the British term was 'Fount'.

Only got my Mum's word for that, so don't put it down as a Mastermind answer or anything,.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
As long as I can remember, the generally accepted definition of a billion has been 1,000 million. However, I'm fairly sure the original British definition of a billion was a million million. Does anybody ever still use that definition? Did anyone here use it in the past?

It seems a pretty pointlessly high number to me.
I thought it was a million million too, although it seems to have shifted to a thousand million.

edit: seen all the other answers now so I guess it did change although I remember it later than 1974, I guess it probably took a while to percolate down.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I might have prompted the question on the ‘singing because I’m rich’ thread........still get a few confused people but as other have said we all fell into line with the US years ago. It was always a million million when I was a kid though.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Can we tackle GALLONS next? Although I think I'd prefer to do away with imperial completely.

American PINTS can f*** off too. I always feel cheated when they give me 473ml instead of 568ml.

Whilst we're on the subject, selling liquids in WEIGHT. Ridiculous concept. I'll have 14oz of coffee, and can I have litre of cake too please?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can we tackle GALLONS next? Although I think I'd prefer to do away with imperial completely.

Indeed. As we have with car engine sizes. Even the most patriotic of us, when asked what size our car engine is, will reply "Two litre" for example. Nobody would ever dream of saying "Three and a half pint"

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
American PINTS can f*** off too. I always feel cheated when they give me 473ml instead of 568ml.

Whilst we're on the subject, selling liquids in WEIGHT. Ridiculous concept. I'll have 14oz of coffee, and can I have litre of cake too please?

Not as bad as the Aussies though - wtf is a Schooner or a Cup? One I thought was a boat and the other Features prominently in a video with two girls. Bloody idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Not as bad as the Aussies though - wtf is a Schooner or a Cup? One I thought was a boat and the other Features prominently in a video with two girls. Bloody idiots.

It has a ridiculous name, but at least a schooner doesn't pretend to be a pint. I actually think it's a good measure of beer to have on a baking hot Australian day. A pint just gets warm by the time you reach the bottom. Unless you neck it of course.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
The original "logic" of the numbering was that the prefix referred to the power of one-million, which is the same as the number of six-zero groupings.
Million = 10^6 = 1,000,000
Billion = (10^6)^2 = 10^(6*2) = 1,000,000,000,000
Trillion = 10^(6*3) = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000
Quadrillion = 10^(6*4)
Quintillion = 10^(6*5)
...etc

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As long as I can remember, the generally accepted definition of a billion has been 1,000 million. However, I'm fairly sure the original British definition of a billion was a million million. Does anybody ever still use that definition? Did anyone here use it in the past?

When I were a lad still at school - i.e. through the sixties - a billion was indeed a million million. Don't know when it changed, or whether it just happened over time that we moved in to the Americanism.....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Must be “asking for a friend” or working on the bid to buy Wembley from the FA as have seen prices ranging from £500m-£1bln quoted in the press and Sahid Khan just wants to check which billion it is he’s offering?

Sounds a bit like the American who bought London Bridge who allegedly thought he was buying Tower Bridge........ two peoples divided by a common language.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here