Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Top clubs not played at Amex, Withdean, Gillingham

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just recall it because Hinshelwood had one excuse which was that he was missing Zamora for almost the entire losing run. Finally he got him back and we were playing possibly the one team somehow still below us at that time. And we still lost!

There were some memorable games in that run to be fair. The 4-2 against Gillingham when Andy Petterson fell over and left an empty net for them to score in, the 5-0 debacle at Selhurst, the Prosser game against Sheffield United, the 4-2 at Portsmouth when Guy Butters debuted about two stone overweight. Great times!

That Andy Petterson moment has to be seen to be believed. Flat on his backside!

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
We played ManU in the early 1990s in the League Cup (wasn't it Beckham's first game, I vaguely remember shouting "Who are ya" at him when he came on), so they probably aren't the team we've not played at home for the longest time. Unless we only mean league.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Haven't we played them twice at home in the league, also wasn't one of the opening friendlies at Withdean against Sheffied United

October 2004 and September 2005

Wednesday :thumbsup:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bonus question: which club was the last team to score four at Withdean before Liverpool at the Amex?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Luton Town.
Apart from playing them away in 08/09 Johnstone's Paint trophy, have we played them at home since The Goldstone days?

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
So if we're talking first team competitive matches in the FL, it seems it's Oxford, Fleetwood, Accrington, Crawley, Stevenage and Morecambe.

Of those I would guess that only Oxford and Crawley played at the Goldstone.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sheffield United were at the Withdean Stadium for Coppell's first game in charge. We lost thanks to the efforts of one Phil Prosser.

I'm.amazed people have forgotten about that! I bumped into Bobby Zamora that evening in Covent Garden. Nice chap that he is, he was rather more charitable about Prosser the Tosser than I was!

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Yes, we played them in the home leg of that JPT tie.

We also played them in 2003/04 when Mike Newell was their manager as I remember him tripping up Chris McPhee as we broke down the left wing in front of the dugouts. He was sent off.

Plus they were in the Championship with us at some point as Kenilworth Road was definitely one of the very few places Federico Turienzo was seen in an Albion shirt.

I also remember relegating them at Kenilworth Road - 2008 maybe?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes, we played them in the home leg of that JPT tie.

We also played them in 2003/04 when Mike Newell was their manager as I remember him tripping up Chris McPhee as we broke down the left wing in front of the dugouts. He was sent off.

Plus they were in the Championship with us at some point as Kenilworth Road was definitely one of the very few places Federico Turienzo was seen in an Albion shirt.

Thanks.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Yes, you’re right. I can’t for the life of me remember the home game that season but we beat them away quite near the end as they were going down and we still had a chance of the play offs under Dean Wilkins. I seem to recall Ian Westlake scoring a header right in front of us and possibly Glenn scoring too? That must have been April 2008.

Ian Westlake, blimey. I recall being hopeful we would sign him permanently that summer!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here