Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will Celtic claim bragging rights....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Not really. It took Leeds three seasons to get promoted from League 1, and they only finished 2nd when they finally did. Celtic have now won the MTL 7 times in a row, with their smallest winning margin being 15 points. Absolute dominance in a way that no other league has ever seen (I would have thought).

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bit concerned we might end up with Murphy back

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
One down
3e36895257395baf026c47b3d60cb951.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with most of the criticisms here, but is it pointless for the people in Scotland? I don't know. The average team has attendances of 6 thousand, so I guess it's not pointless for them.

It's not pointless. In the same way the Highland League's not pointless, or whatever the equivalent is in Wales or any other country for that matter. Small countries, big passions. Are we all supposed to give up on the game we love just because SKY telly's not pouring countless millions of quid in, like they do into a 'Premier' League that contains far more than it's fair share of mediocre clubs.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It's not pointless. In the same way the Highland League's not pointless, or whatever the equivalent is in Wales or any other country for that matter. Small countries, big passions. Are we all supposed to give up on the game we love just because SKY telly's not pouring countless millions of quid in, like they do into a 'Premier' League that contains far more than it's fair share of mediocre clubs.

Agee. also the PL has a runaway winner who are likely to win it next year.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I wonder how many hundreds/thousands of posts have accumulated on NSC over the years to say how much no-one cares about Scottish football?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I wonder how many hundreds/thousands of posts have accumulated on NSC over the years to say how much no-one cares about Scottish football?

To have ones views aired about the MTL does not mean one cares a jot about the MTL.

I had one Celtic 'fan' tell me last week that Celtic fans were the best in the world and they'd 'piss' the Premier League if they were to join.

I pointed out that all clubs think they have the best fans, Celtic needed to grow up and forget the secretarian shyt, were they Irish or Scottish and **** off if they think they can join the English league.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Agee. also the PL has a runaway winner who are likely to win it next year.
Even if City wins the next 2 years its not even close to being the same as the one team league that has been created in Scotland after Rangers was crippled into the bottom leagues.

Last seven years
EPL
Manchester City
Mancester United
Manchester City
Chelsea
Leicester City
Chelsea
Manchester City

Last seven years for SPL
Celtic x7

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
To have ones views aired about the MTL does not mean one cares a jot about the MTL.

I had one Celtic 'fan' tell me last week that Celtic fans were the best in the world and they'd 'piss' the Premier League if they were to join.

I pointed out that all clubs think they have the best fans, Celtic needed to grow up and forget the secretarian shyt, were they Irish or Scottish and **** off if they think they can join the English league.

Oh dear.
Years of comfortable dominance have bred complacency and delusion. Their performances in Europe certainly back up his bold statement. I would imagine that they could survive in the PL but its not a guarantee. Look at the lower placed teams in England and they all ( on paper ) have more quality in their squads. Pitch them against Burnley, Palace, Everton, Leicester, Brighton and West Ham and they would do well to win two games out of six.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Celtic would become a genuine European force after a few years in the PL, Rangers would take considerably longer from where they are now but have the potential. As for other Scottish top division teams, they’re probably championship:league 1 level with the occasional unsuccessful foray into the PL for teams like Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Celtic would become a genuine European force after a few years in the PL, Rangers would take considerably longer from where they are now but have the potential. As for other Scottish top division teams, they’re probably championship:league 1 level with the occasional unsuccessful foray into the PL for teams like Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs.

Would they even qualify for europe from the premier league? Say hypothetically Celtic were to transfer directly from the mtl to the pl, I can't see Scottish football letting them take one of their european places so Celtic would need to qualify via their pl position. I can't see them automatically displacing two of Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs and possibly a resurgent arsenal. It's also likely to be a cultural shock to when your so called easier games are against sides with 25k support and premier league money not teams with 4k crowds funded by the local tea cake factory

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

You cannot say that for certain.
Celtic had two European Cup Finals ( 67/70 ) but have failed to really threaten again since. There wasn't the big money gap between Scotland and England for nearly 30 years and yet Celtic and Rangers did little in Europe, despite playing to big crowds. Very good players were still being attracted to these clubs in the 80's and 90's ( Gascoigne, Butcher, Larsson, Wilkins, Hateley etc ) but they still didn't threaten to win Europe's top prize.
It is a mistake to think that Celtic and Rangers just need big money to take off. Why couldn't Leeds, Villa, Derby, Sheff Wed or Forest do the same thing, given the same time? Sure, Celtic and Rangers play to bigger crowds but then so do Newcastle and they aren't about to become giants of European football.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I don't even like to THINK of those two clubs from the MTL playing in the English league.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Turning on BBC News last night and it was the first story on the sport section. This is ahead of Lewis Hamilton winning an incredibly exciting GP race, Man City going over 100 goals for the season and Man Utd beating Arsenal in jury time in Wenger’s last game at Old Trafford!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Would they even qualify for europe from the premier league? Say hypothetically Celtic were to transfer directly from the mtl to the pl, I can't see Scottish football letting them take one of their european places so Celtic would need to qualify via their pl position. I can't see them automatically displacing two of Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs and possibly a resurgent arsenal. It's also likely to be a cultural shock to when your so called easier games are against sides with 25k support and premier league money not teams with 4k crowds funded by the local tea cake factory

No they wouldn't.
People make the mistake of labelling them ' sleeping giants ' and just assume that massive injections of cash would immediately make them competitive at the highest level. They would have to spend years establishing their ' brand ' on a global basis against clubs who have had a huge headstart. They would have to recruit managers and coaches of the highest calibre and they would have to persuade higher class players, most of whom would not be aware or interested in the delights of Glasgow, to join them, with no guarantee of playing in Europe.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Turning on BBC News last night and it was the first story on the sport section. This is ahead of Lewis Hamilton winning an incredibly exciting GP race, Man City going over 100 goals for the season and Man Utd beating Arsenal in jury time in Wenger’s last game at Old Trafford!

So you turned on the British Broadcasting Corporation News and they lead with a story about something British.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

The BBC is so painfully and sensitively PC that it goes out of its way to headline affairs in Scotland and Ireland before England. The weather forecast always starts with a sweep across NI and Scotland before a gradual descent down country before finally coming to rest at London and the SE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here