Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'm following the occasionally-used British principle "innocent until proved guilty". I know most of you Brighton fans are absolutely convinced that Rodriguez said what Bong thinks he said and there is absolutely no possibility of mishearing. Well, I'm not. Possibly that's a function of our respective biases.

I suspect that if Bong had claimed that Rodriguez had raped him and Rodriguez denied it and was acquitted (or if the trial was in Scotland or under FA rules, found "not proven"), he would have been booed just the same. The Burnley fans would tend to believe Rodriguez, the Brighton fans would tend to believe Bong.

“Not proven” is not the same as “not guilty”.
The FA stated they were of the belief that bong believed that Rodrigues did make a racist statement. Not enough evidence to back this up, but equally Rodrigues didn’t have a good enough argument to be found “ not guilty ”.
If he hadn’t put his hand over his mouth then this wouldn’t have been an issue.......

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I'm following the occasionally-used British principle "innocent until proved guilty". I know most of you Brighton fans are absolutely convinced that Rodriguez said what Bong thinks he said and there is absolutely no possibility of mishearing. Well, I'm not. Possibly that's a function of our respective biases.

I suspect that if Bong had claimed that Rodriguez had raped him and Rodriguez denied it and was acquitted (or if the trial was in Scotland or under FA rules, found "not proven"), he would have been booed just the same. The Burnley fans would tend to believe Rodriguez, the Brighton fans would tend to believe Bong.
Terrible example, many women or men who have been raped or molested do not report it because they know they will be subjected to the same bias against the victim that Burnley did to Bong. See the #metoo campaign black players and rape victims alike are scared of reporting these incidents for good reason. This was a season where the FA was trying to encourage BAME players to report, I cant see that happening anytime soon now if they see what has happened in this case. Your club was encouraging your fans to not hate and kick it out during this very game. Feel free to report something but unless its proven then you will be vilified.

I actually dont care anymore if Rodriguez is innocent or guilty what I do care about is how this is setting back an anti racism campaign and targetting a player who the FA has said reported in good faith.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Not convinced at all that is what JR said but entirely convinced that is what GB heard. He quite simply isn’t the sort to make up stuff like that. I imagine you’d equally say that’s not what JR is like. Fair enough.

What is entirely baffling is booing a bloke who the FA report clearly said wasn’t making a malicious allegation at all. I’d like to think our fan base is a little brighter than that - I doubt it - but if the roles were reversed I would be absolutely condemning the morons booing someone who had not be shown to be lying.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
N

What is entirely baffling is booing a bloke who the FA report clearly said wasn’t making a malicious allegation at all..

And this is it really. Really odd behaviour and I’m convinced there is a racist undertone in all this. Would they boo a woman in the street if she made a sexual assault / rape claim they COULD NOT BE PROVEN? Or a child etc?

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
There’s no point in criticising Motson as any further comments he made could have failed to make the final edit. But given that he did draw attention to it, it was poor that Lineker and company failed to mention it.
Totally agree with not criticising Motson.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Longsider

Apr 29, 2018
Absolutely spot on. As a Burnley fan I was embarrassed by that group yesterday - as were many others in the ground. The saddest part for me is that they've let Dyche down - a manager who has worked so hard to connect with the fans.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
“Not proven” is not the same as “not guilty”.
The FA stated they were of the belief that bong believed that Rodrigues did make a racist statement. Not enough evidence to back this up, but equally Rodrigues didn’t have a good enough argument to be found “ not guilty ”.
If he hadn’t put his hand over his mouth then this wouldn’t have been an issue.......

It was the Independent Regulatory Commission that made the decision and it only had a choice of two verdicts regarding the FA charge of Rodriguez - proven or not proven. There was no option of “not guilty”. They weren’t judging an individual but the charge made by the FA against one of them.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Seemed to me the majority were booing him.

The silence from Burnley FC is deafening.

It wasnt the majority it was a very large number of them though mostly from the cricket stand side left of us.

But yes if Burnley dont say something it is very deafening but that also goes for the BBC and the FA.

Last edited:

Jan 10, 2014
Maybe the truth hurts you. ???

Which part isn't true then?

It's quite clear that you and many others on here (this thread) aren't interested in the truth, so there's nothing I can say that will change the bigoted views.

Which part of his post isn't true? Let's try all of it.

From the blowing smoke up your arses, to it was the quietest we've been this season (he hasn't been to many matches)

From he wasn't surprised about the Bong accusations because Rodders was brought up in Burnley, to Britain First flags hanging all over the place in certain parts of town.

From mentioning a UKIP councillor, to saying that Dyche lives in the past.

He's either one of our sad bed wetters or a Blackburn fan. I'll go with the latter.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
And this is it really. Really odd behaviour and I’m convinced there is a racist undertone in all this. Would they boo a woman in the street if she made a sexual assault / rape claim they COULD NOT BE PROVEN? Or a child etc?

On the flip side you are calling Burnely fans racists simply because YOU THINK there is a racist undertone to all of this without proof ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
On the flip side you are calling Burnely fans racists simply because YOU THINK there is a racist undertone to all of this without proof ?

Why else boo him all game? Because he accused a player that left them in 2012?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why else boo him all game? Because he accused a player that left them in 2012?
Maybe because he is a local lad and thought highly off in that part of the world? Also rumours that Burnley want to resign him again when WBA go down.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Oh I'm sorry.....had I have known it was Atilla who singled handedly saved this football club on his own whilst wearing his underpants over the top of his trousers I would have accepted what he said as the gospel and never questioned anything that came from his chops. He didn't come across like a whiney little girl in fact he sounded quite manly when he was moaning about being called names.

Please accept my most sincere apologies.

:ffsparr:

Accepted. But isn’t me you need to apologise too really is it?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe because he is a local lad and thought highly off in that part of the world? Also rumours that Burnley want to resign him again when WBA go down.

And they are so loyal and aggrieved by the complaint that they thought they should constantly boo the complainant?

Maybe I was brought up differently but the whole thing is a bit uncomfortable

Longsider

Apr 29, 2018
And there's a perfect example of a numpty. So I am not allowed to express my opinions without being called a wind up merchant ? Do you want photographic evidence of the flags ? I can post copies of the Telegraph and Burnley Express reports if you wish. Check out Padiham's voting record - easy enough to do. Don't accuse me of lying. Yesterday's booing was shameful, no two ways about it and Hughton was spot on with his comments, and credit to Bong for playing on as he did.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Having read all the posts on this thread I'm relieved to see plenty of reasonable posts on here about yesterday, aswell as the usual numpty ones I'd expect on any board. I felt compelled to join and post as a Burnley fan who was disgusted by the booing, I sit with my wife at the opposite end to where your supporters were and can assure you that your support and singing was superb. The ground, apart from the booing was the quietest it's been all season which led to a 2nd half with no atmosphere. I can only assume thousands of fans were as embarrassed as I was.
Chris Hughton was spot on and Burnley as a club must make a statement deploring that section of Burnley fans. I have followed the Clarets for over 50 years now, living in the area and sadly can only agree with some posters that Pendle is nowhere near an integrated community. It's shocking to say that when Bong's accusations first hit the news that my first thoughts were not of surprise knowing that Jay Rod was brought up in the town, only Bong and Rodriguez know what actually was said on the pitch and Burnley fans had no right at all to carry the issue on yesterday.
Some posters have promised 'to get their own back'. I can only urge your supporters clubs to do this by keeping the issue in the news by writing to Burnley FC and perhaps Burnley's local press, as I will be doing.
Brighton fans brought in by coach don't see the areas we see every day. Britain First flags hanging from bedroom windows, or in front gardens. Racial abuse us featured every day in our local press but nothing changes. My own ward has the last UKIP county councillor. The complete rejuvination of our town centre, road system, new railway station was EU funded but the town still voted leave.
I apologise for the length of my post but felt I had to say that not all Burnley fans are racist or homophobic but serious changes need to be made in the town as yesterday highlighted so starkly. The club need to take a much firmer stand against bigotry of every type. As some posters on here have said, and Dyche sometimes admits, Burnley FC is in many ways still in a past era. He has done amazingly well here to drag it by its bootstraps to where it is now and I am sure he will have been equally disappointed yesterday with the ignorant section of fans.

I was so pleased, and saddened, by this that I had to respond.

Your town has been pilloried and praised on this thread. I don't think that, really, any football fan in the country could argue that what your team has achieved on the field isn't the greatest single achievement in the PL era...better than Leicester? You bet. Tiny club, no fans and absolutely battering the odds over and over.

It's not your team that needs to stand up. It's your town.

I stayed in the town mouse with my missus on Friday. Sat in a couple of bars over the night talking to your support. Everyone was friendly, the staff, the punters everyone...until the ale started to kick in.

Then it was "paki" "queer boys" and all the usual shite. Burnley has gone down the shitter over the past 10 years, it's depressing, everything is closed and the people have no aspiration beyond the club and its success. If you fail to achieve in the future...what's left?

I grew up in Birkenhead in the 70s and 80s. It was the same there. Industry gone, alcohol, drugs, despondency.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

You’re probably even insulting your own intelligence never mind everyone else’s on here.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's quite clear that you and many others on here (this thread) aren't interested in the truth, so there's nothing I can say that will change the bigoted views.

Which part of his post isn't true? Let's try all of it.

From the blowing smoke up your arses, to it was the quietest we've been this season (he hasn't been to many matches)

From he wasn't surprised about the Bong accusations because Rodders was brought up in Burnley, to Britain First flags hanging all over the place in certain parts of town.

From mentioning a UKIP councillor, to saying that Dyche lives in the past.

He's either one of our sad bed wetters or a Blackburn fan. I'll go with the latter.

Bloody good effort if he's a Blackburn fan :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here