Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
These references in there to Bong going on social media after the decision calling JR a racist. I'm not on twitter or anything - but did he actually do this at all? Or is it actually the BHA / bong statement referenced earlier that they're referring to?

This is what they are referring to - as you say the club statement.
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/april/statement-on-behalf-of-gaetan-bong/

That was in response to this Note the emotive language of exonerated, Now that I've been cleared, I would like to emphasise so there can be no doubt that I did not utter the words of which I have been accused

https://twitter.com/JayRodriguez9/status/985926450648899586

[tweet]985926450648899586[/tweet]

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Yeah? People don't smell with their nose? Shit, my teachers really did fail me. All these years...

Why would the independent panel not conclude that then? You obviously were standing right next to him on the pitch to hear... Funny that, I never saw you! It is 2018 matey not 1918!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Seen this a bunch of times too. He covered his mouth with the gesture, pinching his nose to suggest that Bong had bad breath, not to hide what he said. I mean, he could have pinched his nipple but that wouldn't have made any sense

So he didn't say anything then? Did Bong imagine he heard JR say anything at all?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Because you get a real accurate representation of a whole demographic from Twitter... But I can't speak for all Burnley fans, just my reasoning and that of those around me I spoke with on Saturday.

But as I asked you earlier, which you haven't answered - on reflection do you honestly believe your reasons justify booing a player for the whole game? It just doesn't stack up, no-one is that indignant on someone else's behalf unless there's more to it. The fact is there was a large proportion of the home crowd booing all match. That is just nuts and is unjustifiable.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This is what they are referring to - as you say the club statement.
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/april/statement-on-behalf-of-gaetan-bong/

That was in response to this Note the emotive language of exonerated, Now that I've been cleared, I would like to emphasise so there can be no doubt that I did not utter the words of which I have been accused

https://twitter.com/JayRodriguez9/status/985926450648899586

[tweet]985926450648899586[/tweet]

Thanks for that. Not social media as folk keep referring to then. Not surprised - if they can't understand the difference between 'not proven' and 'the other bloke lied'; then they're not going to understand the difference between a twitter comment and an official club statement!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Because you get a real accurate representation of a whole demographic from Twitter... But I can't speak for all Burnley fans, just my reasoning and that of those around me I spoke with on Saturday.

Okay - let's take it that you and a few around you booed Bong (all game) because of an alleged statement he made after the verdict (which it turns out he didn't - it was an official club statement).

But you have to admit that many others weren't booing him for the reason you were (see earlier comments and the FA twitter feed) - yes or no?

So - what were they booing Bong for?

And then I ask you again. Do you not think that your fans' actions were OTT? Because if you don't, you're effectively condoning them for booing Bong for less laudable reasons than your own.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
"We" booed Bong because he accused one of our own as being racist. I know that it's looked upon as throwaway comment for some of you (and many others), but it's a really nasty thing to accuse someone of.

In the current climate calling someone a racist is very nearly looked upon as someone being vicious murderer.

Rightly or wrongly he was always going to get booed. He's no different to when John Terry, Ashley Cole, Owen Coyle etc got booed at our place.

Wow, that's a monumental level of ****ing stupidity. Tribalism at it's very worst. Bit like all those Republicans in Alabama who voted for a known paedophile because he was wearing the right colour ribbon. Any fans who booed need to grow the **** up.

Try again.

I mean, got one of yours on the previous page likening JR to a paedophile so by extension that stance can be applied to all Brighton fans?

We've got some Burnley fans in the Cricket Field End, one a friend of mine, who claim to have head "Town full of P***s" from a minority of Brighton fans. So by extension all Brighton fans are racist?

You said Burnley fans showing support for JR is "a bit like" Alabama residents voting for Roy Moore. So you're likening supporting JR to supporting an accused paedophile, so I'm not sure where else that ultimately leads without you likening an unproven accusation of racism against JR to an accusation of paedophilia.

Unless you meant it's "not at all like" in which case I agree, but that's one hell of a typo.

I can read he's saying it's tribalism, that doesn't change the fact his post literally likens (even going so far as to use the words "it's a bit like" and highlighting the word paedophile) the "tribalism" of Burnley fans supporting JR to the "tribalism" shown by some Alabama residents in voting for Roy Moore, an accused paedophile. If the two scenarios aren't at all alike, how can they be "a bit like"?

You can try an belittle me all you want but it doesn't change the fact he likened to the 2 scenarios which in turn likens the 2 accusations. It's not a hard sentence or concept to grasp, unless you're being deliberately obtuse.

It was an analogy ffs. :facepalm:

How on earth have you managed to interpret it the way you have?

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I live up north. It's pockets of problems rather than the whole of 'the north'. There will be equal problems 'down south' in some areas.

This.

Let’s not turn this into some North/South thing.

I’m know there were Burnley fans that were embarrassed by the booing - both those that agreed and disagreed with Gaeten. I’ve also read enough twaddle from southerners too.

What was extraordinary was the booing throughout the game. It wasn’t one jeer, it was constant. Pathetic.

You simply can’t jeer a player for reporting what he believed was a racist comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
They can side with who they like, and boo who they like. Don't care for them but so what really!

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
They can side with who they like, and boo who they like. Don't care for them but so what really!

The ‘so what’ is about standing up to unacceptable behaviour. That’s the only way that attitudes get changed.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Whatever some Burnley fans try to claim as justification for what happened Saturday, for me this is just another example of, as John Simm's character in Collateral put it, "what a nasty little country we've turned into". That's not restricted just to Burnley of course, not restricted to Northern England by any stretch of the imagination, but some places certainly seem to be hotbeds for vindictive small-mindedness alright.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
The ‘so what’ is about standing up to unacceptable behaviour. That’s the only way that attitudes get changed.

How do we police this? Do we ask the FA to do a ground closure or something because we don't like one of ours being booed? The reality is Burnley aren't very nice but they can boo any player they like and it isn't an offence. If they abuse a player in a fashion that makes it obvious that it relates to his race then that's entirely different.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This.

Let’s not turn this into some North/South thing.

I’m know there were Burnley fans that were embarrassed by the booing - both those that agreed and disagreed with Gaeten. I’ve also read enough twaddle from southerners too.

What was extraordinary was the booing throughout the game. It wasn’t one jeer, it was constant. Pathetic.

You simply can’t jeer a player for reporting what he believed was a racist comment.

This.

On uptheclarets there are fans embarrassed by their fans behaviour towards Bong and the homophobia.

On here we have Burnley saying that they're giving the intelligent, reasoned arguments, but it's the polar opposite. Instead a completely guessed "I believe JR because we defend one of our own, and I therefore condemn Bong".

Completely flying in the face of the legal conclusions released by the FA. The blinkered are completely unable to comprehend the statement that neither Bong or JR were guilty of anything.

Thank god our legal system isn't run by the Kangaroo Court racists in one of their last remaining vestiges in (parts of) Burnley.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How do we police this? Do we ask the FA to do a ground closure or something because we don't like one of ours being booed? The reality is Burnley aren't very nice but they can boo any player they like and it isn't an offence. If they abuse a player in a fashion that makes it obvious that it relates to his race then that's entirely different.

Wow. Way to completely miss the point.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There's an equal number of Brighton fans saying that JR is guilty without any evidence to support it. Morons on both sides.

He's also seriously linked with a return to Burnley in Summer and if local rumours ("My mate knows his dad and he's said...") are to be believed it's a done deal.

1. I am one of those who say he is guilty. It just couldn't be proven
- I say it because Gaetan claims he is 100% certain he heard what he heard

2. You booed him because you have personal albeit secondary ties to Rodriguez. You throw the term ''Moron'' at people such as myself re point 1 above; however you are equally as culpable as myself for believing what you want to believe.

BUT - A least I admit the reason behind me believing Gaetan is because I have a secondary link to him - You on the other hand have come up with these two other fantasy reasons for justifying your actions. I say ''fantasy because it stated off as '' because he gave an interview on TV whilst the Investigation was ongoing''

It has swiftly moved on to the fact that ''he made a statement after the hearing stating he did not mishear what was said to him

No one will convince either of us that we are, or could be wrong. But booing Gaetan does not only affect Bong himself. It intimidates other players from coming forward to report racial abuse in the future and that is why your actions in my mind are unwarranted.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
My thoughts:

dino%u00252Bviejo.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here