Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we sell Locadia in the Summer?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Part of our problem is we appear not to know how to get the ball out of defence in a quick and easy manner, too many square or defensive passes and not picking the runner (AK or Jose) who to be fair are often too far back anyway. When they get the ball they seem to have to run/dribble from halfway line so having to beat midfielders and the back line it would be preferable for them to get the ball 70 yards and only have the defenders to deal with. I can't see this changing if we add Locadia.

We really need a better plan B.
The team can't get out of defense because their defenders have the luxury of playing on our midfielders toes, pushing the wingers further back.
They can do that safe in the knowledge that a three-toed sloth called Abigail could get back and snuff out and 'fast' break down the middle.

Yesterday was a prime example of that.
When the team did break with purpose, and there was some lovely quick pass and move interplay, it stopped at their penalty area.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We are safe now so I think he should be given at least a half in all the remaining games to run at the opposition.

See other thread......:shootself

So we give him a run out, lose the last 3 games horribly, and go down on goal difference? It won't happen. But it could. And it won't.

CH will sort him out in the summer. Think of it like this: unlike last year we have one of our jigsaw pieces already in th box, waiting to be fitted in. Izzy was similar - fish out of water for many weeks till CH got him to play how he wanted him to play. All will be well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that Locadia will prove to be the man to help u s make quick breaks down the middle which Murray for all his good points cannot do as IMHO Locadia has both the skill on the ball and the speed to break with a wide man either side of him for support.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
He is a good player and look forward to given a run more central. Hasnt got in side because Murray scored a few and manager stuck with who he knows to get the 37/40 points. Hopefully next season when sights set a bit higher will start from off. Look forward to having a centre forward who is quicker and more robust then Murray

el punal

I thought we played well today, for 3/4ers of the pitch.
Some lovely interplay with crisp one touch passing, mixing up the speed of attack.

Then the team gets 25 yards from goal and everything stops.

If Jurgen can't get onto the pitch today, gotta wonder why he's here getting splinters sat on the bench behind the older slower version of Ulloa.

I suggest that you’ve been drinking too much Watneys Red Barrel. :mad:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The team can't get out of defense because their defenders have the luxury of playing on our midfielders toes, pushing the wingers further back.
They can do that safe in the knowledge that a three-toed sloth called Abigail could get back and snuff out and 'fast' break down the middle.

Yesterday was a prime example of that.
When the team did break with purpose, and there was some lovely quick pass and move interplay, it stopped at their penalty area.

The break doesn't have to be down the middle going wide and cutting in to score is an option especially if we play AK or Jose but neither are far enough forward AND the only person who can deliver the ball over 40 yards is Dunk (an exaggeration but.. )

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Locadia will feature for us next season, this is his bedding down period.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The break doesn't have to be down the middle going wide and cutting in to score is an option especially if we play AK or Jose but neither are far enough forward AND the only person who can deliver the ball over 40 yards is Dunk (an exaggeration but.. )

There needs to be some kind of threat down the middle in order for the wide men to isolate the full backs, or at least push them back a few yards generating some oh so precious space..

As it is this squad is totally reliant on, as you say, Dunk's worldy passes, and Gross' pinpoint accuracy.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Watched some of the Dutch football last Sunday (randomly on Sky Mix), it's SLOW. Shows what a belting player Davy P is that he's adapted so quickly.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

So we give him a run out, lose the last 3 games horribly, and go down on goal difference? It won't happen. But it could. And it won't.

CH will sort him out in the summer. Think of it like this: unlike last year we have one of our jigsaw pieces already in th box, waiting to be fitted in. Izzy was similar - fish out of water for many weeks till CH got him to play how he wanted him to play. All will be well.

In your opinion.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think that his weakness in the air is not conducive to the way we play at the moment

In a nutshell I think this is the answer to the connundrum. Especially when we are playing away to a big physical side like Burnley, who pride themselves on their work ethic, we need a physical presence up front, that means either Murray or Ulloa.

If we had played Locadia instead we would have lost the aerial battle with their centre halves, we wouldn't have been able to hold the ball up, and it would have come straight back to our defence.

My one worry with Locadia is that he would be much better suited to playing with a big target man alongside him, and of course, thus far at least, Chris Hughton has never set his sides up to play that way..

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I believe that Locadia will prove to be the man to help u s make quick breaks down the middle which Murray for all his good points cannot do as IMHO Locadia has both the skill on the ball and the speed to break with a wide man either side of him for support.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He is a good player and look forward to given a run more central. Hasnt got in side because Murray scored a few and manager stuck with who he knows to get the 37/40 points. Hopefully next season when sights set a bit higher will start from off. Look forward to having a centre forward who is quicker and more robust then Murray
Pretty much this - and also, if we did try to sell him in the summer, because he hasn't become a regular starter he would be seen by potential buyers as a failure, and his price would be likely to be way below what we paid for him

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In a nutshell I think this is the answer to the connundrum. Especially when we are playing away to a big physical side like Burnley, who pride themselves on their work ethic, we need a physical presence up front, that means either Murray or Ulloa.

If we had played Locadia instead we would have lost the aerial battle with their centre halves, we wouldn't have been able to hold the ball up, and it would have come straight back to our defence.

My one worry with Locadia is that he would be much better suited to playing with a big target man alongside him, and of course, thus far at least, Chris Hughton has never set his sides up to play that way..

Spot on. Some don't understand this, in the PL a target man is needed. And if your one target man is shite (Benteke), then 3 lightning quick interchanging forwards of PL quality with goals in them (Zaha, Townsend, Loftus-Cheek). At the moment, our squad only allows the former.

CH has got this spot on, for our initial season with a very limited squad - 37 PRICELESS POINTS. When last August all the bookies, pundits and many Albion fans such as me thought we'd be relegated after the strikers transfers balls up.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I thought we played well today, for 3/4ers of the pitch.
Some lovely interplay with crisp one touch passing, mixing up the speed of attack.

Then the team gets 25 yards from goal and everything stops.

If Jurgen can't get onto the pitch today, gotta wonder why he's here getting splinters sat on the bench behind the older slower version of Ulloa.
I agree wholeheartedly. Back in a mo, just off for my injection.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

The club will learn from last summer's iffy window, and with another £100m, will be seeking to give CH a true PL class squad.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think that CH will look to change our style of play next season provided that he can sign the players needed to do so.

Hope you're right. An entirely achievable and in no way unrealistic 5 season plan would be ...

Prem Season one - survive, Season two - survive/consolidate, season three - challenge for a European place/cup final, season four - cup win/European place, season five - Title/Champions league.

:whisky:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here