Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Dirty Diesel

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I used to know the retired manager of the pipeline network from the Fawley refinery. He explained how they would pump the different fuel up the pipeline with cleaning bullets between the fuels. This is why you will see a lot of tankers at Gatwick at night filling up for deliveries around the south for the next day.

He explained that when the fuel is stored in the tanks at Fawley each company would buy a portion of the tank, the higher quality being at the top (bought by the best guys) until you get to the "sludge" which the supermarkets bought.

Each company would add their additives into the fuel once it was in the road tankers.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I used to know the retired manager of the pipeline network from the Fawley refinery. He explained how they would pump the different fuel up the pipeline with cleaning bullets between the fuels. This is why you will see a lot of tankers at Gatwick at night filling up for deliveries around the south for the next day.

He explained that when the fuel is stored in the tanks at Fawley each company would buy a portion of the tank, the higher quality being at the top (bought by the best guys) until you get to the "sludge" which the supermarkets bought.

Each company would add their additives into the fuel once it was in the road tankers.

Pretty sure the Fawley to Hounslow pipeline only carries aviation fuel.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
why ? Facts please not speculation.

When fuel arrives into the uk in containers it’s in three grades, the purest fuel is at the top of the tank, this gets taken by BP,Esso etc, the middle of the tank is then taken by the middle of the road stations such as Jet and Harvest, the bottom of the tank which is full of silt and impurities is then taken by the supermarkets. My brother’s mother in law used to inspect the tanks to make sure the fuels were appropriately distributed.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Taxi driver doing 80,000 miles a year always use cheaper Tesco fuel 11 years no issues u r wrong . Diesel is a dirty fuel anyway it is what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but there's always a counter story. My engine managment warning light (or whatever it's called) has been triggered 3 times in 4 years . Each time was shortly (within a mile of a the station) after filling up at a Tesco fuel station. Not bought fuel in a Tesco/supermarket for the last 3 years and have had no problems. From experience therefore I also believe that supermarket fuel is sub-standard.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The OP said that he filled up at a BRIGHTON supermarket, not a Newhaven one. The fact that he lives in Newhaven has nothing to do with where he bought fuel

Is that aimed at me?
I'm the only person that has mentioned Newhaven up until your post, and the point in my post was just about supermarket filling stations.

Unless the OP is a friend of yours and you know where he lives, he hasn't got a location under his user name.
Or has mentioned where he lives. :shrug:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’ve always been told by the guy who sorts my van,( and brother-in-law who apparently knows everything!) that the supermarkets by cheap fuel from the main dealers shell, Esso etc and the amount of fuel injector problems they have are down to fuel from supermarkets.
I used to buy from supermarkets because of the price but now think it’s false economy.

Thanks for the advice, I only use Sainsbury's occasionally to fill my van.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
When fuel arrives into the uk in containers it’s in three grades, the purest fuel is at the top of the tank, this gets taken by BP,Esso etc, the middle of the tank is then taken by the middle of the road stations such as Jet and Harvest, the bottom of the tank which is full of silt and impurities is then taken by the supermarkets. My brother’s mother in law used to inspect the tanks to make sure the fuels were appropriately distributed.

How does that work when at Purfleet you can see tankers from different companies and supermarkets all in the same queue?

In any case how would it be possible as the outlet pipe from the tanks is at the bottom?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
How does that work when at Purfleet you can see tankers from different companies and supermarkets all in the same queue?

In any case how would it be possible as the outlet pipe from the tanks is at the bottom?

I honestly can’t tell you how it works, all I know is that she told us that was the process, I wasn’t particularly interested in further details to be honest.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Is it blue smoke, white smoke or black smoke?

What did the garage say?

It’s white or blue, goes puff when cold, reversing and accelerating over about 2,500rpm. But some times there is no puffs at all.

No fault codes, could be dodgy fuel, injectors or turbo. Got to wait till it breaks. TDi VW engine.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It’s white or blue, goes puff when cold, reversing and accelerating over about 2,500rpm. But some times there is no puffs at all.

No fault codes, could be dodgy fuel, injectors or turbo. Got to wait till it breaks. TDi VW engine.
Blue smoke is usually an oil burning issue. A common VAG problem. Find a garage using Forté New Generation Engine Flush and get an oil change. 45 minute flush before dropping the old oil .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Had diesels for years driving minimum 20K per year.......never ever had a diesel 'clog up' and I always use supermarket fuel......

Same here, read about some drivers having issues, and never experienced it myself, until now, always use the same supermarket station, unless it is impossible to do so (very rare).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Blue smoke is usually an oil burning issue. A common VAG problem. Find a garage using Forté New Generation Engine Flush and get an oil change. 45 minute flush before dropping the old oil .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I haven't seen blue smoke coming out of a VAG for many a year.......:down::down::down:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here