Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Seagulls to defy the odds....

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
5 hours drive from Cambridge. Holy shit. Still, with beer at £2.10, I’m not complaining any more.

Edit: Upgraded now - Nettle Thrasher @£2.50

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Just out of interest.....

Given Jay Rodriguez' Burnley roots, do you think the Turf Moor crowd will be giving Gaetan Bong any stick tomorrow? There did appear to be some booing of him at Selhurst Park the other week (admittedly I was watching on TV, but someone else also mentioned it on here) - without any previous history between Bong and Palace I can only guess that it was because of the alleged racism incident.

Bong might get a bit of stick, but I think the main "hate figure" for Burnley fans tomorrow will be Murray because of the "theatrical" way he managed to win a penalty at The Amex.

Also, the "snidey" way he triggered a three-match ban for Tarkowski has not been forgotten and is still a sore point at Turf Moor.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bong might get a bit of stick, but I think the main "hate figure" for Burnley fans tomorrow will be Murray because of the "theatrical" way he managed to win a penalty at The Amex.

Also, the "snidey" way he triggered a three-match ban for Tarkowski has not been forgotten and is still a sore point at Turf Moor.

Burnley fans always have targets, even if Murray didn't travel. On our recent league meetings at Turf Moor, on Radio Sussex you can clearly hear "you bent ********" screamed by folk near the commentary team when the ref awards freekicks to Albion players.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
That was 3 games this season.

The league cup consisted of reserves v Blackburn then one of the very few teams, this season, to be dry humped by Leeds.
Then properly bitched by Man City in the FA Cup.

As you can tell I'm seriously struggling to get my head round the concept of a fan from a club the statue of Burnley turning their nose up at European football.

Actually played very well at City in FA Cup and were leading 1-0 and in no trouble with about half an hour to go before terrible refereeing incompetence set up Aguero's 57th-minute leveller.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Actually played very well at City in FA Cup and were leading 1-0 and in no trouble with about half an hour to go before terrible refereeing incompetence set up Aguero's 57th-minute leveller.

Sorry my mistake, I thought the 3 goals City scored after that counted as well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I am one of the older generation. I was too young when Burnley reached the last 8 of the European Cup in 1961 (lost 5-4 on agg to Uwe Seeler's Hamburg) but was at school for our last Europe campaign in 1967 after we had finished 3rd behind Liverpool & Leeds (it was the UEFA Cup - now Europa Cup) and we lost again in quarter-finals 3-2 on agg to Eintracht Frankfurt after drawing 1-1 in the away leg.

For most younger (40 or less) Burnley fans, qualifying for Europe is a dream, but for me it could be a poisoned chalice. Unless we finish above Arsenal, we won't make the group stages and would have to play THREE qualifying rounds just to reach the group stages. More likely, there would be an embarrassing early exit (West Ham or Hull City style) against some Eastern European side with an unpronounceable name.:) Plus injuries etc....tiredness for PL games.

Think of it like this mate - in all probability, you won’t go down next season. You also won’t get in the top 4 - so 6th or 7th and European qualification isa no lose and the best you can hope for. In many football fans’ views you’ve won the real premier league :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think of it like this mate - in all probability, you won’t go down next season. You also won’t get in the top 4 - so 6th or 7th and European qualification isa no lose and the best you can hope for. In many football fans’ views you’ve won the real premier league :thumbsup:

Exactly LC is being ridiculous.
It reads like he starts the season wishing for the coveted 17th spot, just like Sunderland, West Brom, and Stoke.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Burnley
Saints
Udders

Draw treble @35/1

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Exactly LC is being ridiculous.
It reads like he starts the season wishing for the coveted 17th spot, just like Sunderland, West Brom, and Stoke.

I'll tell you one thing....if Brighton or any other "upstart" club like Burnley get among the Top Six and ruffle a few feathers, it won't take long before the PL "bigwigs", with the help of referees, try to make sure you do not stay there. Don't even get me started on the Spurs home game (0-3 the week after we played at the Amex). We were 5th and Spurs 6th before Kane got a hat-trick but he and Alli both should NOT have been playing after what they did at Man City seven days earlier.:(

I was really enjoying the season up to the end of November with us 5th or 6th (22pts from 12 games) but we were "cheated" out of at worst a 0-0 draw after battering Arsenal and since then it has been a hard struggle to hang on to 7th place with refs doing us no favours (only team not to be given a penalty this season despite several "stonewallers", notably in the 0-0 at Huddersfield).

It's hard to enjoy football when it's not an even contest thanks to the PL trying to protect their "brand" with help from their henchmen (referees).

It will be interesting to see our early fixture schedule next season:) I'm convinced the PL hoped to get us relegated this season with our first 5 away games at Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton and Man City.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Sorry, but the only one who triggered a three match ban for Tarkowski there was Tarkowski, the utter plank :lol:

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Sorry, but the only one who triggered a three match ban for Tarkowski there was Tarkowski, the utter plank :lol:

Tarkowski had already injured his hand (later X-rays showed a break). Murray knew about the injury and grabbed hold of JT hand.....so Tarkowski half-heartedly punched GM in stomach.

I agree stupidity by Tarkowski but not great behaviour by Murray.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll tell you one thing....if Brighton or any other "upstart" club like Burnley get among the Top Six and ruffle a few feathers, it won't take long before the PL "bigwigs", with the help of referees, try to make sure you do not stay there. Don't even get me started on the Spurs home game (0-3 the week after we played at the Amex). We were 5th and Spurs 6th before Kane got a hat-trick but he and Alli both should NOT have been playing after what they did at Man City seven days earlier.:(

I was really enjoying the season up to the end of November with us 5th or 6th (22pts from 12 games) but we were "cheated" out of at worst a 0-0 draw after battering Arsenal and since then it has been a hard struggle to hang on to 7th place with refs doing us no favours (only team not to be given a penalty this season despite several "stonewallers", notably in the 0-0 at Huddersfield).

It's hard to enjoy football when it's not an even contest thanks to the PL trying to protect their "brand" with help from their henchmen (referees).

It will be interesting to see our early fixture schedule next season:) I'm convinced the PL hoped to get us relegated this season with our first 5 away games at Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton and Man City.

Blimey you really aren't covering yourself in glory on this thread.
Whinging against entitlement in the Premier League while sounding like the very embodiment of entitlement is some trick.

You are talking about the same league who allowed Leicester to win the whole thing and made an absolute fortune on the back of that story, aren't you?

Maybe Burnley just aren't as good as you think they are, t'is a shame the Albion aren't going to prove that later, as your writing like you could do with a holiday, from here.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Whinging against entitlement in the Premier League while sounding like the very embodiment of entitlement is some trick.

You are talking about the same league who allowed Leicester to win the whole thing and made an absolute fortune on the back of that story, aren't you?

Maybe Burnley just aren't as good as you think they are, t'is a shame the Albion aren't going to prove that later, as your writing like you could do with a holiday, from here.

"T'is a shame that Albion aren't going to prove that later......."

As a sports journalist of many years at regional and national level, I am a cynic (pessimist) sometimes, but you......talk about defeatist::)

You asked why I did not want Burnley in Europe - I've given my reasons and will leave it at that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

As a sports journalist of many years at regional and national level, I am a cynic (pessimist) sometimes, but you......talk about defeatist:)

I thought we'd beat Kingstonian.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

It was you who asked why I did not fancy a Euro campaign - I've given you a load of reasons. Leave it at that.

As a sports journalist of many years at regional and national level, I am a cynic (pessimist) sometimes, but you......talk about defeatist:)

To some extent you are correct as IMO there is a lot of bias against promoted clubs and Brighton hardly gets a mention on MOTD even when we have won or fought hard for a draw. We are usually the last or the penultimate game shown in the programme and think Lineker would rather choke on one of those crisps than give Brighton credit. Great for you that your club is up there and am envious of your position. I am really hoping we can win this game.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

Well if they allowed Leicester to win the title, perhaps we could make a bid for being "allowed" to win the title next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here