Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U23 playoff semi finals this Friday at the Amax.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good overall performance this evening I was very impressed with Mandarou. Any body know the result of the other game as according to a steward if Villa win the final is at Villa Park but if Reading win it is at The Amex.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Observations.

Best ref I've seen at the Amex (amax?) this season
Bjordal not far off now
Gykores wasn't that involved .... but scored 2.
Uwe needs a move. Love the bloke, he should be playing 1st team football somewhere
Sanchez in goal has very good distribution
If our crossing was better, we'd have scored quite a few more
Their keeper was good
Out of all our young player tonight, my guess is Dallison will play at the highest level
We were well drilled, credit to Rusk

Very sound assessment.

Tom Dallison is an interesting one, always looks good when I’ve seen him, yet struggled on loan at Cambridge.

Gyokeres felt the same, then from nowhere scored two. The second was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Ist time ive seen the Developement side live, only seen them on you tube feeds.
Very impressed, there is some serious talent there.
Boro huffed and puffed and had a couple of 1st half chances but Albion were the side playing football and every player looked very comfortable on the ball.
Bjordal was great 1st half, Gyokeres, Alzate and Mandrou were also excellent and stood out, and we were the better team in an entertaining 1st half.
2nd half we realised that the way to beat them was keep the ball on the ground rather than giving their tall back four and taller keeper practice.
Once Bjordal and Gyokeres swopped wings, we steam-rollered them. Sanders and Cox was also superb 2nd half and Cox kept overlapping and crossing well.
I thought the straight red was a bit harsh, but the yellow for the Boro defender who tried to hack Bjordal down on his way to scoring his 2nd was comedy gold, as he scored the goal the ref went back to the Boro player, still laying on the floor and booked him.
Only one footballing team out there tonignt and the future is looking Rosy.
Great value for a £5 er and a first for me, never been in the gents since it was built, and not had to stand in a puddle of pee all over the floor
Lets hope Reading beat Villa, it would be great to have the final at the Amex.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that Dallison was poor and has a very limited future as a footballer. My stand out players were Mandarou and Alzate in the first half and Max Sanders in the 2nd. with Hunemier showing his ability through out the entire game. Both Gykores and Bjordal took their goals well and had it not been for the Boro keeper the scoreline would have been greater. The overall performance was quite good but unfortunately none of the players looked as if they were ready to challenge for the 1st team even as a sub.IMHO.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Seen Academy 3 times now and Sanders has been outstanding every time. Funny could be in stronger league next season and but think many of these are good enough to go out on loan

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There is a very good chance that if Villa win against Reading, they will stream the play-off final against Albion live from Villa Park (they streamed the league match against Albion live back in September and have streamed a number of other home matches this season).

It's a sad state of affairs when you're left hoping that Villa beat Reading (giving the U-23s an away fixture, and a harder tie) simply because your own club refuses to stream their home matches in what is the most successful season since the academy was introduced.

:nono::nono:

:down:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I thought:

-first half, Bjordal, Alzate and Mandroiu were the standouts. Alzate has plenty of tricks.

-second half, Bjordal was prominent again, as were Cox and Sanders. All have a lovely first touch.

The thing I noticed with Gyokeres- who wasn't as instantly noticeable with his general play as some of the others- was that he continually got in great positions to create chances for himself, and that when he got them, they were nearly all on target, forcing the keeper to make a save. He seems very, very clinical. I'm not sure you can coach that kind of instinct: either you have it, or you don't.

My overall conclusion was that they looked, as a group, far, far better than the last time I saw an Albion age-group side play, which was about four or five years ago at Lancing. Some players with excellent touch and vision about them. Boro were basically steamrollered in the second half. It's a massive step from there to men's football, let alone the Premier League, but perhaps the system is finally starting to bear fruit.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The lad Gyokeres is making a name for himself. Scoring in 8 in a row is impressive at any level.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The thing that struck me was our style of play which is exactly same as the front side (other than up front) so in theory you could lift and drop an U23 into the first team. We played a very patient game that inevitably and eventually tired Boro resulting in errors and lots of chances. Best not get too carried away cos this isn’t the top league.

Be great to be at home next match

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good overall performance this evening I was very impressed with Mandarou. Any body know the result of the other game as according to a steward if Villa win the final is at Villa Park but if Reading win it is at The Amex.

Was he on corners?

I thought his delivery was very poor.

Interesting that Tilley’s progress seems to have stalled slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would agree that his delivery for corners was the weak point of his game but I thought for a 19 year old he looked good and the best prospect out there possibly with Sanders, Bjordal and Gykores.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The problem as i see it is that players like Bjordal,are not "youngsters"and will want senior football. IMO ,he will not make the senior squad,even as an underage player,next season.Yes , a loan would be good for him,but only if the club,thinks he will make the squad,in the PL,in the future.Now if we were relegated this or next season,then he would i am sure get his chance......Will he be prepared to wait on all these possible outcomes ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here