Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where are you on the UK fat scale?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is flawed because it's promoted as the best way of telling if you're overweight and so too many people take it as gospel. It's far too basic.

I am not disagreeing it’s basic. As I said, it is what it is. If you look at the formula it’s obvious it has limitations as it only involves height and weight; everyone can see this. It’s an indicator, a guide, useful for assessing populations but not as good for individuals. The flaw is with it being promoted as the best way of telling you you’re overweight; no one should be doing this. Who says it’s the best way? The school?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
BMI is a flawed measurement and takes no account of muscle weight.

This line is always trotted out when BMI is mentioned and to be fair it's irrelevant because the people the government are aiming this advice at aren't rugby players or body builders or mixed martial artists. BMI i an excellent rule of thumb for the vast majority of people whose lives don't revolve around the gym but whose jobs and lifestyles have meant the years with poor diet and low exercise are likely to have caught up with them and because so many people around them are overwieght they are unable to judge by sight whether they are.
So yes if you are highly active and take great care of your diet and exercise then BMI may be misleading for you as an individual but for the UK as a population it's an excellent tool to get people thinking about their health

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I am not disagreeing it’s basic. As I said, it is what it is. If you look at the formula it’s obvious it has limitations as it only involves height and weight; everyone can see this. It’s an indicator, a guide, useful for assessing populations but not as good for individuals. The flaw is with it being promoted as the best way of telling you you’re overweight; no one should be doing this. Who says it’s the best way? The school?

To be fair it wasn't a rant at you - more the system. The school implied very heavily in favour of BMI but we just destroyed the letter and didn't tell Miss W about it. My problem with it is that it seems to have become the defacto standard - just look at the BBC article - with no warnings given around it's weaknesses.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair it wasn't a rant at you - more the system. The school implied very heavily in favour of BMI but we just destroyed the letter and didn't tell Miss W about it. My problem with it is that it seems to have become the defacto standard - just look at the BBC article - with no warnings given around it's weaknesses.

It’s a simple guide, it flagged up your daughter, you (an adult) got a letter, and upon assessed this and other factors with the limitations of BMI decided nothing was wrong. Others might have decided a change in life-style might be needed. System seems to be working. Struggling to see what the issue is.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I come into the "well ****ing fat" category.
They wrote the chants "you fat *******" and "who ate all the pies" with me in mind.
Am I bothered? Nope.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
26.1 but I know I’m slightly over weight, 13 stone not feeling right drinking more which leads to eating shit out of fridge cold.

I’m on it though for the past week since I realised what’s wrong I’ve not had a drink, and been going for a walk before and after work.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
To be fair to the article it does highlight that it isn't an exact science, and that there are other factors:

Your BMI is 23.4 which is in the healthy category.
BMI is a standard way of measuring if people are a healthy weight for their height. For most adults 18.5 to 24.9 is the healthy range.

Your age group
Your BMI is lower than the average of 28.8 for a man in your age group (55-64) in England.
About 79% of men in your age group in England are overweight, obese or very obese.

Your part of the UK
In all parts of the UK, the majority of the adult population is overweight, obese or very obese, according to the latest national surveys.
In the East of England, the figure is about 71% of men.

BMI data is gatherered through self measurement so may be an underestimate

What does this mean for you?
You're in the healthy range which is great. Research shows that having a healthy BMI can reduce your risk of serious health problems, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke and some cancers.
But not all people with a BMI in this range have a lower risk. Other factors such as smoking, high blood cholesterol or high blood pressure will increase your risk.

If you're of Asian descent you have a higher risk of heart disease and diabetes at a lower BMI and waist circumference. A healthy BMI for you would be 18.5-23.

Your waist size
BMI is not the only way of measuring whether you are a healthy weight.
Doctors say that carrying too much fat around your belly can increase your risk of health problems. Excess fat in this area can stress internal organs - even if your BMI is in the healthy range.

Your waist size is 86.4cm (34 inches)

For men, the NHS says a waist size of:
94cm (37 inches) or more means an increased risk of health problems
102cm (40 inches) or more means a very high risk of health problems

People from non-white ethnic groups may be at risk at a lower waist size

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
just overweight.

If I were half a stone lighter, which I was about 6 months ago, I would just be in healthy....... but I'm heading in the right direction

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
BMI of 18.5 (6'5, 11st). So according to that, I'm under weight at an "unhealthy" level.
I eat lots and lots, whatever I want. But try as I might, I can't put on weight, been 11st for about 15 years now! Although I do have quite an active job and probably cover 15-20km every day

When I was a teen everyone would always say "wait until you're 30-odd, then you'll have a beer belly and everything - i was skinny like you at your age". Still nothing!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
BMI 19.8 which healthy apparently. Need to do much more exercise though. Working from home is a killer, keep forgetting to do something with my lunch time if In grossed in what I’m working on and don’t notice time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here