Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where are you on the UK fat scale?

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
21.6 which is fine. I've lost 9 kgs in the last 2 years but drink a lot and eat a lot, the difference I made was to cycle the 26 km round trip to work each day and feel awesome for it.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Ive just relooked at this and just varied my weight by a pound or so either way and that takes me from fine to borderline overweight to the bottom of healthy.

That sounds very inflexible given the weight of a large doner or five pints.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Cor, imagine what she could have achieved if she had been healthy and in shape...

Indeed .... surely a fatty could never win a gold ! Besides, the far better measurement is would you ? And in Ms Ennis's case yes I would.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cor, imagine what she could have achieved if she had been healthy and in shape...

I find it amusing that he uses an Olympic gold medalist to prove his idea it’s “utterly unrealistic”. :lolol:

I mean, how “realistic” does one expect your height and weight to be as an all encompassing measurement of ones health? Im baffled anyone can believe it’s anything more that what it is. Come on, think about it instead of getting all angry.....please.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed .... surely a fatty could never win a gold ! Besides, the far better measurement is would you ? And in Ms Ennis's case yes I would.

She’s too fat for me.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I find it amusing that he uses an Olympic gold medalist to prove his idea it’s “utterly unrealistic”. :lolol:

I mean, how “realistic” does one expect your height and weight to be as an all encompassing measurement of ones health? Im baffled anyone can believe it’s anything more that what it is. Come on, think about it instead of getting all angry.....please.

Schools believe it enough to write to parents.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The amount of beer bellies walking around on match day I'm amazed by some of the results

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Schools believe it enough to write to parents.

As an aside what are your views about checking your bollocks for lumps? I mean, this isn’t a scientific way to determine you have testicular cancer is it? It’s “utterly unrealistic” etc etc and could just be a boil. Same with breasts. Should we dispense with both of these as well as BMI?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the trouble with BMI is that if you tick over 0.1 from "healthy" to "overweight", you are told you are going to die from all manner of health conditions. anyone likely to have significant health problems based on weight (rather than the myriad of other ones) is of a size thats quite obviously bit too large. its a useful tool for clinicians and statisticians to put us into categories but probably shouldnt be used for any sort of medical advice on its own.

and on the subject of stats, did anyone else note the post code required? massive data harvesting there.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I also have an autoimmune disease and Hashimotos disease which affects my metabolism. I do eat healthily but have to be more careful than most as I can put weight on just by eating normally.

Ditto! - 27.8 here, not bad but not where I want to be, I have Graves which caused me to lose so much weight, they tried to balance me but ended up having RAI, so went Hypothyroid rather than Hyperthyroid. Does not seem to matter what I do, I exercise plenty and eat sensibly, but the extra weight will not shift off.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Ditto! - 27.8 here, not bad but not where I want to be, I have Graves which caused me to lose so much weight, they tried to balance me but ended up having RAI, so went Hypothyroid rather than Hyperthyroid. Does not seem to matter what I do, I exercise plenty and eat sensibly, but the extra weight will not shift off.

Hashimotos is Hypothyroid due to my antibodies attacking the gland. I couldn't even lose weight at Slimming World. Thyroxine only replaces the T4 and we need T3 as well but the NHS only approves the generic Thyroxine.
I have found the 5:2 diet better. 5 days a week eat normally and 2 days keep to 500 calories (600 for men)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As an aside what are your views about checking your bollocks for lumps? I mean, this isn’t a scientific way to determine you have testicular cancer is it? It’s “utterly unrealistic” etc etc and could just be a boil. Same with breasts. Should we dispense with both of these as well as BMI?

Of course you should check for lumps, in the groin as well as the testicles, in the same way as women should check their armpits for the lymph nodes as well as their breasts.
After 50 women also have mammograms, as the biggest percentage of breast cancer occurs in post menopausal women.

Anything else I can help with?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
the trouble with BMI is that if you tick over 0.1 from "healthy" to "overweight", you are told you are going to die from all manner of health conditions. anyone likely to have significant health problems based on weight (rather than the myriad of other ones) is of a size thats quite obviously bit too large. its a useful tool for clinicians and statisticians to put us into categories but probably shouldnt be used for any sort of medical advice on its own.

and on the subject of stats, did anyone else note the post code required? massive data harvesting there.

What dastardly deeds are they going to do with this data? Find out where the most fat people are and target them with more Turkey Twizzler ads?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here