Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Mark Kermode

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Rockabilly, and did a great little thing about Sun Records and I think recorded there with his band a while back for Radio 2 so ok in my book.

Although his band were meh, like a lot of rockabilly bands that just do the same old same old.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I met Kermode once at the Duke of Yorks and he was very nice and polite.

I like him as broadcaster even though his constant references to The Exorcist, Silent Running and Doogle and the Blue Cat do my head in.

I do also cringe through much of his and Mayo's "wittertainment" preamble on their podcast and find myself having to skip to the show proper, the movie top ten and the reviews.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
He's got a cinematically learned way about him, most definitely, but I don't tend to agree with the excellence he'd paint of a film. I mean, Inception as the best film of 2010? Gimme a break.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I seem to have very similar tastes to him in regard to films so respect his judgement. I listen to the podcast each week, I tend to fast forward the gubbins at the start and get straight on to the film reviews though.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
He's got a cinematically learned way about him, most definitely, but I don't tend to agree with the excellence he'd paint of a film. I mean, Inception as the best film of 2010? Gimme a break.

Agree with this, I really did not get the hype in regard to inception. He did rate Pride as his fave film of a few years ago which I also agreed with though.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Given a positive film review from me, starts with I didn't fall asleep/switch off. I am always interested to hear how he can spout at great length about so many films and if I am in the car, I will happily listen to him and Mayo

Any of the following typically trigger an "I'm not sitting through that" response from me, post apocalyptic, wronged cop, Hilarious,Romcom, musical. Strangely I am fine with sub titles.

Occasionally his lengthy reviews will trigger my interest and broaden my narrow horizons.

If I want to have a rant on presenters, I tune into Sounds Like Friday Night on BBC1, which for nostalgia fans captures mid 80s TOTP at its irrelevant and banal peak.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm conflicted: I quite like him, and I trust his reviews, but I have a very reliable source (family member) who has met him on multiple occasions and informs me that he is an annoying egomaniac.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Pros: very, very cine-literate, loves the art form, generally unbiased about his reviews (but see horror in cons), articulate, faintly amusing, forms a good double act with Mayo, unafraid to call a stinker a stinker. Most of all - I like most of the films he does, and dislike the ones he dislikes. So much so, it’s now rare that I’ll bother with a film that he’s caned.

Cons: Has an idiosyncratic positive opinion of all horror movies (even the bad ones don’t get panned as badly as sex in the city 2), has a ridiculously positive opinion about Silent Running, a bit too full of himself.

9/10
Always comes across as a sneery know it all, but as Silent Running demonstrates must have good judgement.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton

I like him as broadcaster even though his constant references to The Exorcist, Silent Running and Doogle and the Blue Cat do my head in.

I do also cringe through much of his and Mayo's "wittertainment" preamble on their podcast and find myself having to skip to the show proper, the movie top ten and the reviews.

The original Dougal and the Blue Cat was an absolute gem!

I grew up with it on 33rpm vinyl.

I didn't see the movie until I was earlier 20s.

Blue is beautiful!
Blue is best!
I'm blue!
I'm beautiful!
And I'm best!!!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Generally one of the better ones but his irrational hatred of Michael Bay is bordering on pyscotic and stalkerish. Ok he is no Spielberg but he does what he says on the tin and delivers action very well if you like that. Transformers 5 is actually a decent film if you give it a chance but of course Bay and many others films he has decided before the film has started. His review is often pre written. Went nuts over Moonlight which was for me, dull and overated. Also rates the Exorcist ridiculously highly and wets himself over Mary Poppins. He is like most film critics up himself however. His top and worst 10 films of the year are very bizarre most years. Raw got the best film for 2017

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
10/10. Immensely knowledgeable in his field, a great presenter, honest (not a licker of directors/actors to keep in with them), all said without spite.

Unless your name is Michael Bay

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

You could add his attempts at impressions......now that is cringeworthy.....but overall i'd rather listen to their show than any other film program..even if it comes across as a bit elitist sometimes ..my cse grade five french just doesn't seem good enough

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You could add his attempts at impressions......now that is cringeworthy.....but overall i'd rather listen to their show than any other film program..even if it comes across as a bit elitist sometimes ..my cse grade five french just doesn't seem good enough

The thing about that show is that Kermode and Mayo exchange absolute gibberish between each other for long periods which makes it almost unlistenable

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I used to like but can't stand him anymore and don't get me started on Simon Mayo the smug git. I hate the way they talk about the church, always read out vicars emails and praise for the show. I HATE it now and hope the BBC give some younger reviewers a chance

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I used to like but can't stand him anymore and don't get me started on Simon Mayo the smug git. I hate the way they talk about the church, always read out vicars emails and praise for the show. I HATE it now and hope the BBC give some younger reviewers a chance

They generally only read out reviews that agree with Kermode's viewpoint

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here