Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] German player Summer shopping list

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I would be going back to Ingolstadt for Sonny Kittel - Groß replacement. Younger, arguably more potential and had a storming season m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unimpressed when I saw him at Union Berlin v Ingolstadt before Christmas. Playing in a left midfield position, he looked lightweight and disinterested with poor distribution. The right back had him pretty much in his pocket and Kittel was subbed halfway through the second half.

Probably caught him on a bad day, but first impression wasn't great.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
You're looking to replace our PotS already?!

I’m working on the basis Groß form will attract rather large offers from up the league and therefore we may well adopt the Southampton style methodology of selling high buying low.

Personally of course I don’t want him to go but think an offer north of >£30m might tempt us to.

Unimpressed when I saw him at Union Berlin v Ingolstadt before Christmas. Playing in a left midfield position, he looked lightweight and disinterested with poor distribution. The right back had him pretty much in his pocket and Kittel was subbed halfway through the second half.

Probably caught him on a bad day, but first impression wasn't great.

Fair point as you have first eye experience but his write ups have been incredibly favourable and he has a scoring record twice that of Groß. (Can’t find assist or chance creation info unfortunately)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I’m working on the basis Groß form will attract rather large offers from up the league and therefore we may well adopt the Southampton style methodology of selling high buying low.

People say this. but When was the last time we sold on a player for ££ or who was a first team first choice. ?
I think it was Ulloa in 2014 - 4 years ago.

Barber said it again last week - "our aim [every transfer window] is to keep hold of our best players"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p064lrk1

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
People say this. but When was the last time we sold on a player for ££ or who was a first team first choice. ?
I think it was Ulloa in 2014 - 4 years ago.

I acknowledge that but we will get to a point with the squad and faith in our ability to unearth gems for reasonable prices that upselling becomes inevitable to provide the funds for growth.

Also Groß still harbours national team ambitions and may find the only way he gets recognised is to move to a bigger club a la Van Dijk (I’m thinking his previous moves to Celtic and then to Saints as relevant examples here).

It’s a model I expect us to use IF uncle Tony wants us to be self sufficient this really is our only option I would say.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
It’s a model I expect us to use IF uncle Tony wants us to be self sufficient this really is our only option I would say.

Of course. Every player eventually has a price but Albion have been pretty aggressive at keeping hold of players (4 new contracts for Dunk in 5 years ?) and i expect that to continue
PS: Hows this "southampton style methodology" going for the Saints by the way ?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Of course. Every player eventually has a price but Albion have been pretty aggressive at keeping hold of players (4 new contracts for Dunk in 5 years ?) and i expect that to continue

Sure from a performance on the pitch perspective it’s dire this season but it doesn’t take a genius to see that their mistake this year was sacking Puel, the blame for which goes to their pinheaded fans in thinking a top ten finish and Wembley appearances didn’t show as progress.

Their financial results show a different story but it’s always going to be a balancing act.

Aggressively keeping hold of players to achieve promotion to the Prem is one thing because the value to the team versus transfer value (using Stephens as an example where £8m was the bid) easily exceeds the other. However selling to a top six Prem team however where the quantum is much greater is a completely different problem.

I’d argue that turning a £3m outlay into £30-35m is much more tempting.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sure from a performance on the pitch perspective it’s dire this season but it doesn’t take a genius to see that their mistake this year was sacking Puel, the blame for which goes to their pinheaded fans in thinking a top ten finish and Wembley appearances didn’t show as progress.

Their financial results show a different story but it’s always going to be a balancing act.

Aggressively keeping hold of players to achieve promotion to the Prem is one thing because the value to the team versus transfer value (using Stephens as an example where £8m was the bid) easily exceeds the other. However selling to a top six Prem team however where the quantum is much greater is a completely different problem.

I’d argue that turning a £3m outlay into £30-35m is much more tempting.

As said already, Stains and their bean counters have had that approach, and even with a far superior academy to us (to date), their luck has run out and they're in footballing shite.

Teams, within reason, need to hold onto their match winners, game changers and leaders holding the defence together.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

For the first few years selling the good players and replacing them with cheap buys worked really well

then suddenly this season, out of the blue

They sold their good players and replaced them with cheap buys and it's been a disaster

:shrug:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Timo Horn has committed to FC Koln as well.

The page is in German but I (Google) translated the first bit:

The number one of 1. FC Cologne is committed to his home club and will wear the jersey of the FC in the coming season.
Timo Horn remains beyond the current season and regardless of the league affiliation at 1. FC Köln. The FC keeper does not use his exit clause.

https://fc.de/fc-info/news/detailseite/details/timo-horn-bleibt/

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here