Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Zero hours contracts

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You are all getting the wrong angle of this or misinterpreting my view. I am not talking of staff that are taken on for a specific need as in a pub who advertise for a barmaid who must be prepared to do Friday and Saturday but firms that employ somebody full time 5 days a week in what ever job and then turn around and say to the worker we have no work for you today or tomorrow. Consequently they receive no pay through no fault of theirs

Are we talking about a 'full time' cash-in-hand laboring job?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No full time on PAYE paid either weekly or monthly. I think it is wrong that the firm can just say sorry we have no work to morrow so dont need you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No full time on PAYE paid either weekly or monthly. I think it is wrong that the firm can just say sorry we have no work to morrow so dont need you.

I assume you've got a specific example that has prompted this thread.........? Did the person involved understand it was a ZHC when they took the job on ? Were the terms explained ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Irrespective of what they can legally do or not it is my contention that they shouldnt be able to do that and if needed the law should be changed, that is the whole point of this thread.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I believe that these should be made illegal for workers.

If a person is laid off because the firm have no work it is not the fault of the worker but that of the employer for (a) not finding sufficient work (b) not making provisions for quiet times. Most employees have regular financial commitment that they cannot avoid ie rent or mortgage council tax etc How can they pay that if they are laid off for 2 or 3 days in a week? I believe that when somebody is employed it should be a financial commitment that the employer is forced to honour.

Didn't you used to run pubs? You seriously telling me, in the pub trade, you never took on any casual staff?

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
I believe that these should be made illegal for workers.

If a person is laid off because the firm have no work it is not the fault of the worker but that of the employer for (a) not finding sufficient work (b) not making provisions for quiet times. Most employees have regular financial commitment that they cannot avoid ie rent or mortgage council tax etc How can they pay that if they are laid off for 2 or 3 days in a week? I believe that when somebody is employed it should be a financial commitment that the employer is forced to honour.
When will people realise that jobs are created by the company needing a person to solve a problem. Not to provide a constant soource of income to a person. People's personal curmstances are of little consequence to company unless the person's value warrants it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didn't you used to run pubs? You seriously telling me, in the pub trade, you never took on any casual staff?

I tried not to, but that is totally different as I would take on staff to do a specific duty or event and no other. I didnt say to my full time or part time bar staff it is February which is always quiet so I dont need you today. I would encourage them to take their winter holiday during those months but at no time would I lay therm off and expect them to still be there when we got busy again.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Is it the workers fault that rhe boss has taken on 20 people during the busy time to earn money and only needs 2 at quiet times?
Providing two weeks work for 18 people that had daytime tv or playstation lined up for those two weeks. Shocking.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I tried not to, but that is totally different as I would take on staff to do a specific duty or event and no other. I didnt say to my full time or part time bar staff it is February which is always quiet so I dont need you today. I would encourage them to take their winter holiday during those months but at no time would I lay therm off and expect them to still be there when we got busy again.

So you did and you're talking shit. Well done.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You are all getting the wrong angle of this or misinterpreting my view. I am not talking of staff that are taken on for a specific need as in a pub who advertise for a barmaid who must be prepared to do Friday and Saturday but firms that employ somebody full time 5 days a week in what ever job and then turn around and say to the worker we have no work for you today or tomorrow. Consequently they receive no pay through no fault of theirs

full time is defined as 30 hours or more, so isnt zero hours. and you cannot just say dont come in tomorrow, you need to give notice probably a week to a month.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
After reading this comment i'd say these companies should not be in business if they can't afford to employ full time staff.
I agree it should be abolished as many companies are abusing the system and it's all about what suits these companies.
We now live in a society where employees are just numbers and this is all to common when the population rises.
Businesses that need temporary labour during busy periods, should not be in business?

Come again. I think I misunderstood.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So you did and you're talking shit. Well done.

Where did I say I did or even suggest that. I can tell you of the latest only example: when at my pub in Midhurst we employed a customers wife as a kitchen assistant for the duration of Goodwood week 5 days she knew and wanted that. It was the only time and totally different to what I am saying about.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Businesses that need temporary labour during busy periods, should not be in business?

Come again. I think I misunderstood.

the misunderstanding is not yours. there are people around that seem to think that jobs exist to fullfill a need to employ people and that the only model of employment is 5 days a week ~9-5ish. preferably with overtime available whenever they need it, but never at the behest of the employer.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have a full time job now but have had a zero hours contract with another company for a couple of years as well as a full time job. When I was laid off last year from that full time job the zero hours one came into its own, helping me keep my head above water. Now I'm in full time work I still pick up a few shifts a month on my zero hours job which pays for the little extras in life. For me that zero hours job has been very convenient, both being a life saver when I was out of full time work and a handy extra income now. They're not great for everyone but they do work in some circumstances. Depends on the scruples of the employer.

Unfortunately your last sentence sums up the problem all too succinctly.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Can't wait for the book to come out. 'Labour & Resource Planning' 'A Guide to Timely & Efficent Recruitment, Retention & Contracts' by Bensgrandad.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
That is exactly what I am saying and even then giving a weeks notice is to unacceptable.

suggest you change the title and first post then, to "short notice periods" and edit the 2-3 days laid off part as you seem to have reversed ferret.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here