Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Happy St Georges Day

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Oh my aching sides. What is it about St George's Day that brings out so many terminally unfunny comments from people so eager to signal their virtue?

Cecil Rhodes had it spot on "To be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life."

Certainly was at the time. At least for him.

But that's not the best summary really. It only re-enforces a view of arrogance. I'm more than comfortable being English. In fact, I'm very 'English' in cultural nature.

The reason why folk joke about the whole St George's thing is that many simply can't be bothered with it. For me, I'm just happy to be here- to be part of this nation. But in terms of a national day- I'm not sure what it's for. You just have to accept that, given the hijacking of the concept of national pride by nationalist groups, a lot of folk are uncomfortable with it. And the whole St George thing makes it quite funny.

I'm quite patriotic actually. But then again I'm reserved in saying that lest it be wrongly perceived.

There is nothing wrong in loving your country. It's those who appear to hate all others that people are fearful of.

I'd gladly have a pint of cider and a Cornish pastie, raise the glass, and say it's good to be here.

But don't deny my right to sarcasm. That's very English.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I wont celebrate our national day all the time it's headed up by a foreigner. They, or at least the parents, need to have been born in England.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes, it was a predictable post, but no more so than you seemingly wanting to force your narrative down people's throats by getting proper arsey within six posts and ten minutes with people showing their disdain for it.

I know you don't like self-hating types, but do you think this aggressive, forced position you take on nationalism is any more palatable? I'm guessing it's every bit as sickening to the majority of us who are somewhere in the middle.

I’m somewhere in the middle and sickening it isn’t, amusing probably [emoji106]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

But that's not the best summary really. It only re-enforces a view of arrogance. I'm more than comfortable being English. In fact, I'm very 'English' in cultural nature.

The reason why folk joke about the whole St George's thing is that many simply can't be bothered with it. For me, I'm just happy to be here- to be part of this nation. But in terms of a national day- I'm not sure what it's for. You just have to accept that, given the hijacking of the concept of national pride by nationalist groups, a lot of folk are uncomfortable with it. And the whole St George thing makes it quite funny.

I'm quite patriotic actually. But then again I'm reserved in saying that lest it be wrongly perceived.

There is nothing wrong in loving your country. It's those who appear to hate all others that people are fearful of.

I'd gladly have a pint of cider and a Cornish pastie, raise the glass, and say it's good to be here.

For someone who can't be bothered with it, you've got an awful lot to say about it. Is that how indifference works nowadays?

I bet you're not too bothered about St Patrick's Day either but I can't recall you making weak jokes about their Welsh-born patron saint. Maybe I missed that bit of sarcasm from you or perhaps your sarcasm is very selective in this regard.

Well done anyway on being the first in the St George's Day bingo to mention "hijacked by nationalist groups." I can only imagine the disappointment you felt when you saw that your "St George was an immigrant" joke had already been posted.

Sod you and sod all the self-loathers. I bloody love being English.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Given his views on the Anglo-Saxon race, he’d have made an excellent Nazi......or a competent modern day Tory. We missed out.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The argument about why we dont celebrate it has been done to death , not interested in restarting it , lets just celebrate our national day today .

Have you taken the day off for our most famous Roman fighting Turk. I have.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
lets all get on NSC and have a good old ruck with each other about something that isn't even important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I wish we could reinstate an Englishman, St Edmund as England's Patron Saint.
Wales is the only part of the United Kingdom that has a Patron Saint who is a native. Andrew was born in the Middle East and Patrick was Welsh.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I'm not too keen on his flag, it's certainly the dullest in the UK, got to be low on the list of world flags too.

Otherwise, have a wonderful day George!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Wales is the only part of the United Kingdom that has a Patron Saint who is a native. Andrew was born in the Middle East and Patrick was Welsh.

Patrick was born in Northumbria.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Maybe just lose the saint altogether? Just have a day off to celebrate life in a beautiful country

The whole saint thing is a bit outdated now.

Sorry if this idea offends anyone

Happy England Day everyone.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
What does one do to celebrate St George day?! I don't know where to start even if I was to celebrate it. It just seems like a few idiots in England tops singing about the Queen and an empire that's long gone.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
The argument about why we dont celebrate it has been done to death , not interested in restarting it , lets just celebrate our national day today .

I agree completely. A happy St Georges Day to each and every one of you.

(Except those that don't agree with me - they can f*** right off :))

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
What does one do to celebrate St George day?! I don't know where to start even if I was to celebrate it. It just seems like a few idiots in England tops singing about the Queen and an empire that's long gone.

carlings all round!

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

That pretty much sums it up for me too.

Happy being English. Patriotic, yes, but not blindly so.

There’s so much to enjoy about this ‘green and pleasant land.’

Love your comment on sarcasm. Very true.

Happy to raise a glass, but not sure I need a day to celebrate my Englishness. Happy for the Irish, Welsh and Scots etc to crack on with it if they want, but I don’t need to do it.

Do the Germans have an equivalent day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
lets all get on NSC and have a good old ruck with each other about something that isn't even important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, you’ve just summarized what NSC is all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Cecil Rhodes had it spot on "To be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life."

What about the weather.

I wonder if that was why he spent all his life in Africa or was it the ease how an Englishman could rape and pillage the most valuable of their commodities - the diamonds.
Long live De Beers.
I can think of other people who have commanded respect and worth a quote on England’s attributes Buzzer, rather that an architect of apartheid.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Have we ever, as a nation, celebrated St. George's Day? My memory goes back a long way (far enough back to remember when we hung murderers, trains were pulled by steam engines, we sang hymns at morning assembly in schools, and you could smoke standing on the terraces at football matches (in fact you could smoke almost anywhere!)) - but I can't remember ever celebrating St. George's Day in any way whatsoever - and if it came up as a quiz question I wouldn't know the date of it either.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here