Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I'm a City fan now

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Next door neighbour, about 56, has supported his local club (Southampton) for the last 50 years or so (going to watch games etc). He was passing today and I (kinda cheekily, but I didn't mean it to be rude) asked if he was ready for the Championship next season. 'I'm a City fan now' he replied. I think I laughed a little, although I didn't quite get the joke. 20 minutes later he's still keeping the story going. He wasn't joking, he now supports Man City. He's bought the shirt, and updated his facebook profile (I don't know if that's supposed to be significant, but that's what he said).

He plays football with some friends who don't support their local team - most are Liverpool fans, which really gets his goat, he doesn't seem to like them. He wanted to pick a club that he knew would annoy them, so he chose City. I do see the funny side in just picking a better club. I'd like to see these Liverpool fans' faces. 'What, so you've just picked the best team, and now you're gloating that you're better than us?'. 'Yep, that's what you did.' There's not much they can say really. If I have to listen to an entitled Man U/Liverpool fan in the future I might just say I support Barcelona or Madrid, and point out that we're better and have won far more than them.

He went on to tell me how they've got the best manager etc. Well of course they have, they've got the richest owners. He's very happy with football now, and apparently his wife is happy as he doesn't moan about football any more. I'm still in shock, it's just ****ing weird.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know plenty of blokes in this area who completely switched to Arsenal, well into their adult years, in the George Graham era and continuing since. They definitely had no affinity to Arsenal before that; instead being fans of the Albion, Ipswich, Leeds etc. A very touchy subject if it ever gets mentioned.

Some of them have since become Amex s/t holders, but love Arsenal first.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I can understand if it were Manure, the south and all that, but Citeh, but that's the fickle world of fandom.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You are right, he needs to give his head a wobble.

However in reality, almost all fans of the big clubs, unless they are from the area the club is in, have simply made their choice on the perceived success of the club and wish to bask in the fake glory of being attached to it. Real fans like you, me and for the most part most of us on here find that kind of tarty behaviour inconceivable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However in reality, almost all fans of the big clubs, unless they are from the area the club is in, have simply made their choice on the perceived success of the club and wish to bask in the fake glory of being attached to it. Real fans like you, me and for the most part most of us on here find that kind of tarty behaviour inconceivable.
But I thought it was just kids that did it. I know of some Liverpool and Man U fans, but they started supporting them before they were 10. Crap, but kinda understandable, they were kids and didn't know better. But someone in their 50s, who's only ever cared about Southampton, suddenly deciding they're a City fan? WTF? I don't get it. I'm at a loss for words.

Last edited:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
When I was a kid (around 7 or 8) I had a Forest bag for school. Small children like to follow the success they see. I'm not sure there is any excuse for adults.

(Don't complain about the lack of Albion above - I had and have a Spurs supporting family, but I went to the local club over other teams as I grew up.)

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
When I was at school in Horsham in the 1990s most of the football supporters in the class were Liverpool fans (I assume as a legacy of their dads picking them up in the 1970s / 1980s). There were only a couple of Man Utd (thus disproving the stereotype), one Southampton and a couple of Arsenal.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I am of the opinion that Southern Manure fans are below average IQ.

Put bluntly they see the glory as kids but miss the opportunity to follow a team week in and week out and of course are to stupid to change their team.

What OP is saying about his neighbour sound a great laugh. I spoke to a Citeh fan who goes home and away and he said he supports 2 teams, City and whoever United are playing so I followed suit, I am a Watford fan today..

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Heckypeck! I didn’t know this was allowed.

I’m stuck now. I’ve supported the Albion for decades, and have often suffered nervous tension. Some of you probably the same.

Now we can choose another team - one we’re not particularly associated with, so no nerves - and bash on from there.

Brilliant!

Bala Town or Fort William for me, then!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
As a youngster, whilst following the Albion, I also developed a love for Aston Villa which threatened to take over. Long story how it happened.

Anyway, Aston Villa won the league and I totally went off them because other kids started supporting them and it was seen as glory hunting. I didn't want to follow a team because they were good.

So I threw my full hat in with the Albion and have had no such problem since.

Although if we threaten to breach the top ten again I might just bugger off and watch Crawley..

The original un-glory hunter.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But I thought it was just kids that did it. I know of some Liverpool and Man U fans, but they started supporting them before they were 10. Crap, but kinda understandable, they were kids and didn't know better. But someone in their 50s, who's only ever cared about Southampton, suddenly deciding they're a City fan? WTF? I don't get it. I'm at a loss for words.

Fair point. But whatever the age, these kind of supporters are worse than the palace we get on here and they are only one step up from the plankton.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Have you considered moving?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Does he support Germany in the World Cup as they are better than Engeeerland ?

He's got more than Germany to choose from if that is the stipulation.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

To be fair, I thought you'd be lost for words once you knew he was a Saints fan. :lolol:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I know plenty of blokes in this area who completely switched to Arsenal, well into their adult years, in the George Graham era and continuing since. They definitely had no affinity to Arsenal before that; instead being fans of the Albion, Ipswich, Leeds etc. A very touchy subject if it ever gets mentioned.

Some of them have since become Amex s/t holders, but love Arsenal first.
How did they feel when both teams met and We won?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I like my neighbours. Just wondering if he's had a stroke or something.

Whilst watching City has been exciting this year, one hopes that he hasn't gone that far.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Maybe i'm alone but he gives a shit ? I simply don't engage with these types regarding football. They are not supporters.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here