Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I'm a City fan now

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Always surported the Albion but had soft spots for other teams watched Spurs and Arsenal Norwich and Palace with work mates.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I know plenty of blokes in this area who completely switched to Arsenal, well into their adult years, in the George Graham era and continuing since. They definitely had no affinity to Arsenal before that; instead being fans of the Albion, Ipswich, Leeds etc. A very touchy subject if it ever gets mentioned.

Some of them have since become Amex s/t holders, but love Arsenal first.
I must admit to liking Arsenal when they were in their prime Wenger years but I never went to see them play other than against Brighton and I always wanted us to win. Certainly would never have had a S/T for them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Doesn't he just want Man City to beat Swansea tomorrow ? ???

He's having a joke about it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've just remembered this little titbit from the conversation - trying to explain how it made sense, he asked if I'd every changed energy supplier, and if so, why. I said yes, to save money, and he said 'to get a better deal', pointing out that now he's a City fan he's getting a better deal :mad: Surely the correct neighbourly thing for me to do would be to call a doctor and have him sectioned?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Maybe i'm alone but he gives a shit ? I simply don't engage with these types regarding football. They are not supporters.

You're not alone. Holding a conversation with somebody like that is just going to frustrate and leave you scratching your head.

They will have concocted elaborate stories to back up their affiliation and they are just dying to bore you with it. I only had to roll my eyes once as a bloke in united attire went off on one on the train up to wigan.

They have absolutely no shame and are best avoided.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Really struggle to get my head round this.
I went to school at cardinal Newman 1971-76.... (quarter of a mile from the goldstone?)
I remember getting the piss ripped out of me cos I supported Brighton.
I’ve had a hatred ever since of people not supporting their local team.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I've just remembered this little titbit from the conversation - trying to explain how it made sense, he asked if I'd every changed energy supplier, and if so, why. I said yes, to save money, and he said 'to get a better deal', pointing out that now he's a City fan he's getting a better deal :mad: Surely the correct neighbourly thing for me to do would be to call a doctor and have him sectioned?

It's cheaper to get to Manchester than it is to St.Marys? They must charge a fortune in ticket prices at Saints.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
What I am noticing as the season has progressed , and we have shown that we can compete in the premier league (disclaimer right now is that we are not yet safe from relegation etc etc) , is that all these followers (they are not fans) of the big 6 teams are going very quiet. I like to think that they have realised that their following of a big club over many years is basically pointless and that they have had a fantastic football club on their doorstep all these years that they have chosen to ignore.

Have really noticed it most after our performance against Spurs.

Have had a few people admit at how shocked they are that Brighton are actually a really good team .

I just shrug and say "yeah I know". But What I really want to do is laugh uncontrollably in their faces whilst simultaneously doing the loser sign .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
What I am noticing as the season has progressed , and we have shown that we can compete in the premier league (disclaimer right now is that we are not yet safe from relegation etc etc) , is that all these followers (they are not fans) of the big 6 teams are going very quiet. I like to think that they have realised that their following of a big club over many years is basically pointless and that they have had a fantastic football club on their doorstep all these years that they have chosen to ignore.

Have really noticed it most after our performance against Spurs.

Have had a few people admit at how shocked they are that Brighton are actually a really good team .

I just shrug and say "yeah I know". But What I really want to do is laugh uncontrollably in their faces whilst simultaneously doing the loser sign .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's definitely psychological, they wanted us to get demolished and humiliated and back down to the lower leagues to justify the years of bellendery to themselves. They genuinely believed that, because we are Brighton, we would struggle more than any other promoted team from the Championship.

I'm sure there are many conflicted people who would love to have been part of the journey, if only they knew then where the destination would be.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
It's totally insane to go from supporting your local club to then glory hunting a top team nowhere near where you're situated.
Obviously If we get relegated, I'll consider maybe supporting someone like Liverpool or Sheffield Wednesday, but whilst we're in the Prem, NO WAY!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's totally insane to go from supporting your local club to then glory hunting a top team nowhere near where you're situated.
It is insane, but although he's chosen City, I don't think it's about the glory, I think (and I'm slightly guessing) he's just reflected on his life as a Southampton fan and decided it's bringing him more stress than happiness, and he'd follow a team (from the sofa) that leads to happiness. A shrink would probably say he's the smart one, and I'm an idiot for going through the stress of supporting a small club. So I guess it's only insane from the point of view of a fan like us.

Obviously If we get relegated, I'll consider maybe supporting someone like Liverpool or Sheffield Wednesday, but whilst we're in the Prem, NO WAY!
:glare:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It is insane, but although he's chosen City, I don't think it's about the glory, I think (and I'm slightly guessing) he's just reflected on his life as a Southampton fan and decided it's bringing him more stress than happiness, and he'd follow a team (from the sofa) that leads to happiness. A shrink would probably say he's the smart one, and I'm an idiot for going through the stress of supporting a small club. So I guess it's only insane from the point of view of a fan like us.

:glare:

Suffering is good for the soul as they say. Without the woe you can't appreciate the joy to the same extent.

As it stands, scoring a goal in a PL match is STILL a massive thing for us, we go absolutely mental and I kinda wish it stays that way. Imagine being a fan of the bindippers and before the game all you're wondering is how many Salah is going to knock in today. It really can't be that exciting, especially for someone with absolutely no affiliation to 'their' club other than what they have dreamt up. You can kind of understand the lack of emotive celebrations from teams that are so used to winning.

Southampton will (probably) be relegated. They are generally a well run club, get good crowds and still have some quality players. There is potential there to rip up the Championship and they have 3 seasons of parachutes to do it in. This neighbour of yours has obviously got very accustomed to the PL to the extent that nothing exists outside of it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
trig.

Move house you plum. Your neighbour is clearly Arsehat mental.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
During our years 91st in the league I assumed we were going to disappear. I tried to prepare myself by supporting another team. Before my Grandpa moved to Brighton he used to support Arsenal so easy, right. Wrong I just couldn't do it. There is no passion, so I have been monogamous to Brighton (including my teenage years living in the Midlands and watching Derby). Supporting Brighton is not like a tap you can turn on and off it is more like the BRIGHTON that runs through a stick of rock.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My brother has spent most of his life living in Spain and used to watch the La Liga matches on tv. He used to have a Madrid and Barcelona replica tops. If Madrid were winning he’d be wearing a Madrid shirt, if Barcelona came back and took the lead, he’d rush inside and change to a Barca kit and vice versa. He was only about 7 at the time though.

I used to support Tottenham as a kid but switched allegiance, as an adult, when I came to live in Brighton and started watching the Albion (it was at the start of the glory days of Ward and Mellor) so I guess I can’t be too much of a hypocrite but it sounds like the OP’s neighbour is a class one dickhead :smile:

el punal

But I thought it was just kids that did it. I know of some Liverpool and Man U fans, but they started supporting them before they were 10. Crap, but kinda understandable, they were kids and didn't know better. But someone in their 50s, who's only ever cared about Southampton, suddenly deciding they're a City fan? WTF? I don't get it. I'm at a loss for words.

It is strange isn’t it? When I first read your post my first thoughts were he’s supporting City for the day, as they are playing one of the relegation threatened sides. I obviously got that one wrong!

Most football fans will stick with one club their entire lives, in my case (and probably everyone on here) it’s the Albion. That’s not to say that I haven’t admired other teams throughout my football watching days - Chelsea, for example, back in the late 1960s, or Nottingham Forest a decade later. But, always, first and foremost, has been and will be Brighton and Hove Albion.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Let people support who they want. I get dogs abuse for being a turncoat for now supporting Man City. I never got this stick when I supported Leeds, Blackburn, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Until a few years back you never really saw a Man City shirt around. Liverpool, Chelsea arsenal United. Maybe the odd spurs. They have defiantly sprung up though. That’s what a little success does for you.
This story is odd though at 56 years old I find it odd that you want to support the “best” side to annoy others. That’s the sort of thing a 9 year old on the playground does

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I have worked in London for years surrounded by glory hunters. About 5 years ago I started loudly switching teams in the office on a regular basis depending on who was top of the prem or had just won a trophy. I was obviously insincere which only added to the fun of watching a manure supporting idiot from Gravesend implode in frustration when I justified my allegiance using his own logic. Sadly now Brighton are in the prem themselves it feels disloyal to continue. Although I might switch to Roma or Real should either beat Liverpool, just for old times sake...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
If those among us who think grown men switching teams is odd.

Have a look at some of the tatts on the legs/arms/chests of many of our lifelong support.

You'll see the history of the individuals football life right there.

I should try taking a photo of some of the efforts I've seen in the ESL and start a new thread...

But I'd probably get a good snotting for taking photos of borstal tats to prove someone is a hypocrite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here