Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Who was/is the best rock guitarist of all time ?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Ritchie Blackmore.

It would seem this thread has been predictably hijacked by Mojo and Q subscribers... there was more to guitar playing than the Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour et al wankfest that goes on and on in the ‘grown up’ coffee table music press.

I weep for those whose opinion is swayed so readily by a glossy article, and the all too predictable re-evaluation of great albums as works of genius.

I like the fact that Blackmore went out f his way to piss off the press whenever possible, it’s allowed his peak era genius to largely go unnoticed/unappreciated and thus his music suffers less from zzzz fest the that is born of overexposure.

Last edited:

el punal

Rock: Hendrix
Blues: Clapton
Jazz-rock: Beck
Folk: John Renbourn

It really all comes down to personal choice because all the ones listed on this thread are superb in their own right. Anyway, using your format, I will go with :

Rock : Hendrix, early Clapton when he was with Cream.

Blues : Peter Green, loads of others equally good.

Folk : Richard Thompson

Jazz Rock : Carlos Santana

I’ll probably review all my choices and start again!

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Tom Morello not sure about the greatest player but riffs he has written he s up there

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Tom Morello not sure about the greatest player but riffs he has written he s up there
I saw him live in 2012 supporting The Boss, and he is certainly one hell of a guitar player.

Aside from conventional playing, he's the only person I've seen play a superb guitar solo with his teeth.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Agreed. But even a shithouse musician can recognise an awesome one.

I'm no good a football but I can see that Messi can play.

I am going to hazard a guess that he is also a better guitarist then 95% of the posters on this thread who have expressed a preference.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think John Squire is up there, the first Stone Roses album is a virtuoso of guitaring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here