Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sunderland Relegated

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I must admit I do have some sympathy for their fans. They love their football in that town.

They’ll be back though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That was this season - his relegation clause was for his wagers to drop down at the end of the first relegated season unless we go up, which we clearly did not achieve!
So he'll have already sent a 'Get me out of here fast' text to his agent, then.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sunderland have taken steps to prevent laughing Geordies celebrating their relegation at the final Stadium of Shite games:

IMG_2553.PNG

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Rodwell is due to be the first player to be paid £60k a week in league 1 they offered him a free at January window and he said no

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Di Canio said "Back me or the players" - the board chose the players. But he called it right: he said the culture there was wrong and needed fixing. I

Gus said the same. Too many ‘senior players’ who effectively ran the club but whose contracts were too big to be torn up.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Just to clarify not necessarily the following season but there’s a far few who have gone down straight away or a season or two later. Premier League era, at least: Bradford, Wigan, Blackburn, Wolves, Portsmouth, Bolton, Blackpool. Charlton, Leeds, Cov, Wimbledon, Barnsley, Sheffield United, Man City from a quick check.

I agree, there is always one team that goes in freefall once they go down from the Premier league, I thought Villa would fall into that trap, but they look like they have stabilised. I wonder who would struggle next year out of the relegated teams ? I think West Brom have shown enough in last few games to indicate they would be a force in the championship next year ? Stoke if they went down I fell would struggle and Southampton

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree, there is always one team that goes in freefall once they go down from the Premier league, I thought Villa would fall into that trap, but they look like they have stabilised. I wonder who would struggle next year out of the relegated teams ? I think West Brom have shown enough in last few games to indicate they would be a force in the championship next year ? Stoke if they went down I fell would struggle and Southampton

Depends if they keep their better players. WBA without Dawson, Rondon, puncher Hegazi and Blunt would be hopeless at Championship level.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Rodwell is due to be the first player to be paid £60k a week in league 1 they offered him a free at January window and he said no

I read that Rodwell’s wages alone will burn through the TV money they will receive in League One in five months. They are so screwed it’s untrue. Rodwell, by himself, is having a massive destabilising effect at the club. You can’t really blame him though. More fool the club for offering such a short sighted, iron clad contract. It’s hard to envisage our Tony signing up to something like that.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I read that Rodwell’s wages alone will burn through the TV money they will receive in League One in five months. They are so screwed it’s untrue. Rodwell, by himself, is having a massive destabilising effect at the club. You can’t really blame him though. More fool the club for offering such a short sighted, iron clad contract. It’s hard to envisage our Tony signing up to something like that.

They still have one year of parachute payments though!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Villa had that identical situation with N'Zogbia. On a huge contract at the time, at £55k per week with years to run when they got relegated. He never played and didn't care one jot.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
They need to drop down before they can rebuild. They will be back in a few years. If it clears out the rotten apples from the club, relegation will do them good.
Unless the players have got clauses in their contracts reducing their wages on relegation, I've never subscribed to this view.

Imagine what would have happened to us if CH had not saved us in his first season. No doubt a few of our better players would have left, and we would have had to rebuild over that next season. Promotion wouldn't have been easy, and we might still be in the Championship establishing ourselves again.

I think you should avoid relegation at all costs.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
That was this season - his relegation clause was for his wagers to drop down at the end of the first relegated season unless we go up, which we clearly did not achieve!

I thought he was the only player in the squad, who didn’t have a pay reduction after relegation from the top flight?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Unless the players have got clauses in their contracts reducing their wages on relegation, I've never subscribed to this view.

Imagine what would have happened to us if CH had not saved us in his first season. No doubt a few of our better players would have left, and we would have had to rebuild over that next season. Promotion wouldn't have been easy, and we might still be in the Championship establishing ourselves again.

I think you should avoid relegation at all costs.

It was a different circumstance here though. Essentially, we had a decent squad with a good team spirit that was destabilised by Hyppia's abject management. Sunderland are a basket case through and through.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why don't the BBC put those little 'P's and 'R's against the promoted and relegated clubs any more? Do any of the other league table providers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here