Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Record Store Day 2018

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
For those of you who know what Vinyl is and are of a certain age (yes I'm old), - is anyone going to Brighton tomorrow to get their hands on some rare releases?

I accept RSD now is becoming a bit contrived (getting up at silly o'clock to be at the front of the queue) and plays into the hands of a few mercenaries who queue all night just to buy the rarest items flogging them on ebay for a song, but I still love vinyl and that tangible aspect to it, not simply because it sounds better to my ears on a decent set up. There's a lot of crap out there but I reckon a few nice items can be had depending upon your taste.

For the record (no pun intended) I like the look of from this year's crop of releases :

David Bowie - Welcome To The Blackout - Live in 78' - 3LP
Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates of Dawn - mono recording
The National - 'Boxer' - Live in Brussels
The Waterfront - Normandy (On A Beach) / When The Wind Blows

Anyone else going to pick up a new rare release tomorrow?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'd quite like single by Haley, Ten Rapid white vinyl by Mogwai, possibly Boxer live by The National. Will be going to my local record shop in Canterbury, but not sure how much he will have.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Bought quite a few last year. This year only ‘The Piper at the gates of dawn’ is a must buy. Will go down Resident in the afternoon. Stones Satanic majesty is also interesting but not keen on clear/coloured vinyl so would probably miss that one. Was also going to buy Warsaw but have been told that has been withdrawn.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Got my Mogwai, National, plus Daughter and Otoboke Beaver. Plenty left at Monkey Boy in Canterbury - all the Bowies and lots of the indie stuff. Vinylstore Jr in Canterbury has only got a few prog things plus RTJ box set.

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
I thought I’d take a look at what Spillers, here in Cardiff, has to offer, avoiding the silly-o’clock early morning start. There’s a queue that’s still around 3 to 4 hours long, just to get in the shop. Am in the queue but know I’m on a hiding for nothing as I don’t think I can stay the distance :timmy:

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I don’t know if I’ve done this right as I’m trying to post this from my phone. There should be a picture of part of my Dads epic and immaculate record collection on this post...

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
53723CEF-64E4-48B5-98B5-E943D51C8B96.jpeg

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
There’s loads more pics but I don’t wanna flood the thread!

Cool collection. Mine's quite substantial too (400 LP's (over 50 signed by the artists) & 1200 CD's with picture discs and box sets galore). Hope my nephews like my collection when I pop my clogs one day - they will inherit the lot!

Got the Bowie Live LP, Pink Floyd LP, FGTH 12" box set, The National 'Boxer' live LP, and The Waterfront 12" this morning.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
There’s loads more pics but I don’t wanna flood the thread!

No, that's great to see. I'm mostly digital these days which was kind of enforced many years back by always being on the move. But with all the choice out there I do kind of yearn for a simpler, at hand collection, as I used to have.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cool collection. Mine's quite substantial too (400 LP's (over 50 signed by the artists) & 1200 CD's with picture discs and box sets galore). Hope my nephews like my collection when I pop my clogs one day - they will inherit the lot!

Got the Bowie Live LP, Pink Floyd LP, FGTH 12" box set, The National 'Boxer' live LP, and The Waterfront 12" this morning.

My collection, which is mainly in storage at the moment, is around 1400 CDs and around 100-150 vinyl strong. Wife has around 300 and 100. I’ve been collecting since my teens but I sold all my vinyl at as student. At that time I decided CDs were the way ahead and sold everything and used the cash to rebuy some of my collection on disc. I then regretted this and have been buying vinyl replacements for the past 5 years or so. When our new apartment is finished one room will house all our music and kind of be a listening room.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I’m due to spend a day going through the collection with him really soon. As a kid we weren’t allowed anywhere near it...I’m 39 now so I think I’m officially allowed haha. It’s all in alphabetical order as well. Looking forward to seeing some original 60’s/70’s Beatles unplayed vinyl!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That’s a fantastic collection.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I don’t know if I’ve done this right as I’m trying to post this from my phone. There should be a picture of part of my Dads epic and immaculate record collection on this post...

Those pictures are a thing of beauty. Looks like he has taken great care of them too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here