Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Friday debate - Would you give up your UK passport?

Could you give up your U.K. passport?

• Yes - I don’t mind giving up my U.K. passport

Votes: 55 47.4%
  • No - Rule Brittania etc etc.

Votes: 61 52.6%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I haven't voted as whilst I have no plans to give up my passport it certainly isn't for 'Rule Britannia' reasons. If it became more advantageous for me to carry a Botswanan one or a Mongolian one (assuming I could get them as I have no connection with either of those countries) I would. Just because I had a Mongolian passport it wouldn't stop me from identifying as English. It's just a document, and I'd simply be using it as a 'flag of convenience'.

EDIT: This is COMPLETELY off topic, but aren't there a lot of console.log commands in the NSC scripts? (And I think a couple of HTML errors). I've got a dev window open in Chrome and when I clicked 'Post' it fired off a ton of entries.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I'd much rather keep my British Passport, but I might have to accept the inevitable and have a Russian one when they come knocking.

They won't be knocking when they come calling. Be afraid. Brexit isn't worth worrying about veggie. Not anymore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Citizenship grants those rights, not the passport. I'd have thought you knew the difference.

Fair enough. But it doesn’t alter my point. Would you like me to ask a mod to change the title so it’s perfectly clear?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
EDIT: This is COMPLETELY off topic, but aren't there a lot of console.log commands in the NSC scripts? (And I think a couple of HTML errors). I've got a dev window open in Chrome and when I clicked 'Post' it fired off a ton of entries.

May I direct you to the Aw Snap thread http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?363507-Aw-snap

NSC in Chrome seems to have a few nasties lurking. I've switched to Firefox for now.

On topic I'd also take any passport that kept my EU travel rights.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Sorry to wreck the premise of the question straight out of the gate but the UK allows dual citizenship. As such, you can take on any other nationality you like, there will still be no need to give up your British passport.

Best of both worlds.

Not with Spain (because of Gibraltar)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
A British passport is pretty much the holy grail of immigration and travel documentation. People would give up and probably do life and limb for one. Would never give mine up in a million years.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'd take whatever passport I felt would benefit me for travel or economic possibilities (unlike Brexit...).

Same, happy to switch to whatever the strongest passport is.

Capitalism at its finest. You have to hand it to Margaret Thatcher; she correctly forecast the death of society.
Having lived and worked abroad I think you are under valuing something that is held in pretty high esteem abroad.
I wonder if citizens in any other country in the world outside of the USA and the UK would be debating whether to give up their passports because they can't accept a democratic vote. On the positive side though it vindicates my decision never to look at the Brexit thread.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
But I believe there some countries, like Japan, which do not allow dual citizenship? So you will have to give up your U.K. passport to get a Japanese one?

Technically you're not allowed another passport if you have a Japanese one...but many people do, mostly those with a foreign parent.

I don't know anyone who's taken a japanese passport as an adult though so maybe the checks are more stringent.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Farage may well be a hypocrite, but why is this hypocritical? Surely, his children should have the same rules applied to them as other children born into a similar position. Or should we discriminate against the children of those who don't share our political views?
You may be right here. Perhaps the way forward is to ask Farage if he is pleased that the children he helped bring into the world are taking the life-enhancing option of giving themselves freedom to live, study, work and retire right across Europe. And then ask him why he has battled so hard for a situation that will see those rights removed from everyone else's children. We can judge him on his answers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You may be right here. Perhaps the way forward is to ask Farage if he is pleased that the children he helped bring into the world are taking the life-enhancing option of giving themselves freedom to live, study, work and retire right across Europe. And then ask him why he has battled so hard for a situation that will see those rights removed from everyone else's children. We can judge him on his answers.

I’ve already passed judgment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Capitalism at its finest. You have to hand it to Margaret Thatcher; she correctly forecast the death of society.
Having lived and worked abroad I think you are under valuing something that is held in pretty high esteem abroad.
I wonder if citizens in any other country in the world outside of the USA and the UK would be debating whether to give up their passports because they can't accept a democratic vote. On the positive side though it vindicates my decision never to look at the Brexit thread.

What are you talking about, a document doesn't define who I am or my nationality. I made my hypothetical point quite clear, so if there is no advantage to another passport – I wouldn't take it would I. You've jumped in with your size 10s on. Interesting you mention the US, when only 36% of the population even have a passport, so 64% don't think its even worth having one at all!

What you are basically saying, is that unless I have a British passport, I'm not British, which is frankly ridiculous.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

1. Thatcher probably largely caused the Death of Society with the emphasis on greed and selfishness which came from her leadership, whether she intended it or not.

2. And my own personal response had nothing to do with not accepting a democratic vote.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
But I believe there some countries, like Japan, which do not allow dual citizenship? So you will have to give up your U.K. passport to get a Japanese one?

Yes, that’s true. You would have to find a country that also allows dual citizenship.

Bang goes my chance to become Japanese. :tantrum:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
3d5nGZH.jpg

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Yes, that’s true. You would have to find a country that also allows dual citizenship.

Bang goes my chance to become Japanese. :tantrum:

You do realise what" turning Japanese "means I take it.

Oddly. Japan is the only "western" leaning country without a Muslim terror problem.

They won't let the buggers in as they are "culturally inferior" whilst clearly "culturst" they can get around racism as Islam is not a race. Something which we don't seem to have grasped.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What are you talking about, a document doesn't define who I am or my nationality. I made my hypothetical point quite clear, so if there is no advantage to another passport – I wouldn't take it would I. You've jumped in with your size 10s on. Interesting you mention the US, when only 36% of the population even have a passport, so 64% don't think its even worth having one at all!

What you are basically saying, is that unless I have a British passport, I'm not British, which is frankly ridiculous.

No, never said that.I also think a passport is merely a document but this mere document is being politicized on this thread. In my view taking a passport merely for its economic benefit is capitalism at its finest.
My reference to the US was one to the home of national self loathing and there are sufficient numbers in the 36 % to get a similar debate going over there.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
Ah yes, Detroit immigration. We’ve discussed this before. Truly lovely city but amusing/frustrating* immigration.

Immigration “Why you here buddy?”
HT “Vacation”
Immigration: “No one comes here on vacation, why you here buddy?”
HT “No really, I am”
Immigration “What’s there to see buddy?”

* depending on my mood.

All of my most interesting experiences entering the US seem to come at the Detroit border. Very weird, all things considered.

That said, I was asked whether I spoke English at the Buffalo border once, while the agent was holding my British passport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here