Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If things are settled after Burnley

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't get sentimental until the final whistle has gone.

That said, for the first time in many a year we will probably be saying goodbye to a whole bunch of players who have made a real contribution to getting us out of the Championship and set in the Prem:

Rosenior, Hunemeier, Sidwell, Ulloa, Maenpaa and possibly Hemed and Baldock too.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

That said, for the first time in many a year we will probably be saying goodbye to a whole bunch of players who have made a real contribution to getting us out of the Championship and set in the Prem:

Rosenior, Hunemeier, Sidwell, Ulloa, Maenpaa and possibly Hemed and Baldock too.

Jiri 'For the winning' Skalak also.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

If we stay up, on paper they will all move on / retire / go back to parent club.

In reality, a couple of them might still be here in September. Clubs never seem to clear out everyone deemed by the fans to be surplus to requirements, in a single window.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Norwood, Towell and Ince will be off as well.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
If we stay up, on paper they will all move on / retire / go back to parent club.

In reality, a couple of them might still be here in September. Clubs never seem to clear out everyone deemed by the fans to be surplus to requirements, in a single window.

Things are complicated by the HGP rule. As it is, we currently have the bare minimum of 8 in our 25-man squad. If Rosenior, Sidwell and Baldock all moved on, we would need to replace them with 3 HGPs (if we didn't, we wouldn't be able to name a 25-man squad).

Given the inflated fees charged for HGPs I think it is a little unrealistic to expect the club to sign 3 or 4 in any given window.

There is also the possibility of Tim Krul (another HGP) moving on if another club offers him a starting role, and we have to be prepared for bids to come in for Dunk. And if Dunk stays, it is difficult to imagine that Goldson wouldn't want to go out on loan to get some playing time, as he wanted at the start of this season.

The HGP rule will cause Hughton and the Albion some trying times over the next few months, and some players may well be retained that you don't expect because of it.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Things are complicated by the HGP rule. As it is, we currently have the bare minimum of 8 in our 25-man squad. If Rosenior, Sidwell and Baldock all moved on, we would need to replace them with 3 HGPs (if we didn't, we wouldn't be able to name a 25-man squad).

Given the inflated fees charged for HGPs I think it is a little unrealistic to expect the club to sign 3 or 4 in any given window.

There is also the possibility of Tim Krul (another HGP) moving on if another club offers him a starting role, and we have to be prepared for bids to come in for Dunk. And if Dunk stays, it is difficult to imagine that Goldson wouldn't want to go out on loan to get some playing time, as he wanted at the start of this season.

The HGP rule will cause Hughton and the Albion some trying times over the next few months, and some players may well be retained that you don't expect because of it.

Any U23s that might potentially be added to the HGP contingent in the first team 25 ?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Thanks. Excuse my ignorance but can contracted U21s not in the 25 play league matches ?

Have you forgotten Izzy Brown already?! :lol: :thumbsup:

Yep, no restriction on the U-21s playing in the Premier League (as also evidenced by Jayson Molumby being named on the bench 3 times in October).

However, I am bound to add that there has been precious little evidence so far in Hughton's reign of him being willing to "throw in the youngsters".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
IF we beat Burnley or United (or even in a dream world both of them!) I would love to see two or three youngsters get some game time after that, as well as the likes of Goldson, Uwe and Baldock. We're hardly likely get an extra million or two from places gained in the last two games, even if Citeh are on the beach.
Won't happen though, I don't think.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Having the 3rd choice keeper as a Non-HGP player seems a bit of a waste of a slot. I fully expect Maenpaa to be replaced by a home grown goalie.

Witney Seagull

Sep 23, 2016
IF we beat Burnley or United (or even in a dream world both of them!) I would love to see two or three youngsters get some game time after that, as well as the likes of Goldson, Uwe and Baldock. We're hardly likely get an extra million or two from places gained in the last two games, even if Citeh are on the beach.

With £2M at stake for every finishing position it is important that, even if we fail to get any points from the last 2 matches, we maintain a best possible goal difference in those matches as that might result in us sitting on the top of a group of possibly two, three or four clubs with the same number of points, worth an extra £2M to £8M - a situation that I am sure that he of the mustard jersey will point out to CH and the lads.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
This thread is completely witless. We are not safe, and the result of the Burnley game (were loose) will not make us safe regardless. Burnley are in form and we are not.
Remeber the stitch up draw Southamton where involved in which broke our hearts last game of the season.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
its another way of increasing the value of our squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here