Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Contract durations of Albion's first-team players and development squad - an updated list

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Reading those rules, I struggle to fully understand why Glenn Murray doesn't count. Prior to his 21st birthday he spent a year playing in the states, but must have easily been registered with clubs 'affiliated to the FA' for at least three seasons' in his teenage years. Is there some qualification to that affiliation - do they have to be senior level clubs, or professional contracts? :shrug:

Every club in the country is affiliated to the FA through their county FA, so taking those rules literally, he'd qualify. Otherwise, does any player who comes late into the pro game (for example Doug Loft, who signed from Hastings at 20) not count as HG?

I would refer my learned friend to this post I made last November.

Simply - Wikipedia is wrong, and in Murray's own words, he spent three seasons in the States.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would refer my learned friend to this post I made last November.

Simply - Wikipedia is wrong, and in Murray's own words, he spent three seasons in the States.

Thanks.

It still doesn't fully explain it though, unless Murray either a. didn't play youth football growing up in Cumbia, or b. local youth football doesn't count?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel we're in a good place with the squad, and it shows how far we've come that we appear able to let decent Championship players like Rosenior, Hunemeier, Hemed, Maenpaa go along with the Prem experience of Sidwell and Ulloa and still have a decent core of 15/16 players.

Hopefully some of our prospects will get decent loan experience in the Championship / League 1. The step up straight into the Prem squad is huge.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Thanks.

It still doesn't fully explain it though, unless Murray either a. didn't play youth football growing up in Cumbia, or b. local youth football doesn't count?

The HGP definition I posted earlier comes from the PL squad list. It makes no mention of a younger age limit from which the required 36 months commences, but a bit of googling shows some references to "..between the ages of 16 and 21..". Also, the monthly FA Player Registration Booklets show the registrations of scholars and adult players (but not earlier ages), so it is possible the "registration" bit of the requirement only applies from 16 upwards.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Probably also worth repeating this, which I've mentioned before on here: along with Soufyan Ahannach, who was already too old this season to be classified as an U-21 player, the following players next season will be too old to be classified as U-21s - Ben Barclay, Tom Dallison, Tyler Forbes, Des Hutchinson, Ales Mateju and Mathias Normann.

Thus, if they are still with us in 2018-19, they would have to be named in the 25-man PL squad (assuming we stay up, of course), go out on loan or, if they stay here, be limited to a diet of U-23 football only plus the first-team cup competitions (as they wouldn't be able to play in the Premier League if they weren't named in the 25-man squad).

Ahannach, Mateju and Normann are already contracted until June 2020; the others are out of contract this summer.

All of the other current development squad players remain classified as U-21s for next season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tom Dallison to be released. Signing for Falkirk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think that will be a good move for him as he looked a mile away from progressing to the first team in the U23s play off against Boro.

Thought he did okay.
In reality very few will breakthrough, the good news however, that a released PL player, is quite attractive to a lower league team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Tom Dallison to be released. Signing for Falkirk

Does surprise me. Was also surprised we released Jessy Starkey the other year. Shows how tough it is

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Does surprise me. Was also surprised we released Jessy Starkey the other year. Shows how tough it is

Presumably the fact none of us have heard Starkey's name since suggests it was probably the right decision. I don't think Dallison blew Cambridge fans away during his loan there (unlike, say, Ben White at Newport County).

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Presumably the fact none of us have heard Starkey's name since suggests it was probably the right decision. I don't think Dallison blew Cambridge fans away during his loan there (unlike, say, Ben White at Newport County).

When Starkey left us he signed an 18-month contract with Swindon; he left six months later.

He signed a 4-month deal with Gillingham, and 2 months into it went to Bostik Premier Worthing on loan.

When his Gills deal expired he joined Worthing permanently.

Very difficult to argue Albion made a mistake in releasing him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Thought he excelled initially, and won a couple of MoM's, the trouble is they were rooted at the bottom and his form deteriorated, dropping to sub prior to returning.

Always done okay when I've watched the U23s not going to threaten the first team though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here