Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] A259 Coast rioad blocked between Kwik Fit and Rose Walk. Multiple pile up

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMG_2543.PNG

That will cause added bedlam on the A27 Lewes area.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The road has now re-opened but it will take a while for the queues to go.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Lewes is ****ing chaos atm like normal! ****ing roadworks

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

Well they keep building new houses in Peacehaven adding to traffic, and there are plans for another 350 homes. They did a road study and said traffic was OK, so I don't know what planet these people are on. Peacehaven needs a bypass desperately. I remember accidents where few and far between, now there seems to be an incident at least once a month, and when that happens the whole area becomes gridlocked. Hope people involved in the crash are OK as apparently people had to be cut out of their cars.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Well they keep building new houses in Peacehaven adding to traffic, and there are plans for another 350 homes. They did a road study and said traffic was OK, so I don't know what planet these people are on. Peacehaven needs a bypass desperately. I remember accidents where few and far between, now there seems to be an incident at least once a month, and when that happens the whole area becomes gridlocked. Hope people involved in the crash are OK as apparently people had to be cut out of their cars.

I think it would be for the best just to flatten Peacehaven and all to agree never to mention it again.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Planning permission has been granted for another 600 homes in Newhaven, too.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's absolutely ridiculous.

Copied and pasted from a petition we have going - Newhaven Town Council, and Lewes District Council have voted against this, but ESCC are a law unto themselves. :rant:

Yes. Newhaven has been asking for a bypass too, but Currently East Sussex County Council are waiting on a final decision from the Department of Transport on the business case they have put forward for this road and bridge as East Sussex County Council need £10 million pounds from central government to add to the £13 million pounds of East Sussex County Council money, our money, in order to be able to fund this £23 million pound fiasco.

The story behind this road and bridge fiasco dates all the way back to 1996 when the environmental impact assessment, public consultation and planning permission all date from. East Sussex County Council have renewed the planning permission over the intervening years but have not given local people any new opportunity to be consulted on the plans.

So the first major issue is that the planning permission for the road and bridge over the railway and creek and on to Tide Mills is now 22 years old and as such is out of date with modern environmental or ecological thinking. However East Sussex County Council remains committed to pressing ahead
with this road and bridge regardless of today’s local opinion on the issue.

The second major issue is the vast amount of public money, both for East Sussex County Council reserves and from central government sources, to fund this road and bridge. At a time of public spending cuts in many areas of local government it is unjustifiable to be spending this amount of public tax payer’s money on this project. There are very many better uses for that money.

The third major issue is that whilst East Sussex County Council apparently owns the land to the north of the railway, Tide Mills to the south of the creek is owned by Newhaven Port and Properties (Newhaven Harbour) and as such is private land. So we have a situation where East Sussex County Council are going to spend £23 million of public tax payers money on a road and bridge on private land for the sole benefit of a private commercial company, namely Newhaven Port and Properties and its clients.

East Sussex County Council have repeatedly refused to hold any sort of public consultation or review as to the appropriateness of this project at this time and have repeatedly refused to consider a much cheaper alternative proposal that would achieve the East Sussex County Council objective of relieving Railway Road and Beach Road of port related traffic.

It has been suggested that if the existing section of new road that runs from behind Halfords in Newhaven was to be linked to the southern end of Beach Road then there is no requirement for the road and bridge on to Tide Mills. Port traffic could continue to use the existing Beach Road harbour entrance without needing to drive through the residential section of Railway Road and Beach Road. Also the traffic for the new industrial estate that is being built at the southern end of Beach Road could then use the existing section of port access road rather than having to use the residential section of Railway Road and Beach Road. As the plans exist at the moment, the new industrial estate at the southern end of Beach Road will have no access to the port access road and will have to continue to use the residential section of Railway Road and Beach Road thus defeating the East Sussex County Council objective of relieving Railway Road and Beach Road of heavy goods traffic.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Well seeing as how no-one in Brighton can get planning permission I guess peacehaven and Newhaven will continue to grow until there's a conurbation from Hastings to Hove.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
IMO the 259 has a limited lifespan. The cliffs are only yards away from the road at some points, one more collapse and its gone.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I think it would be for the best just to flatten Peacehaven and all to agree never to mention it again.

My great aunty won a competition and gave Peacehaven it's name, and was given a large plot of land there, (which she never used and was retaken from her).
It's a story I love to bore people with, so even it does get flattened, I'm afraid the name Peacehaven will still be getting mentioned:)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
IMO the 259 has a limited lifespan. The cliffs are only yards away from the road at some points, one more collapse and its gone.

How many collapses have there been at Rottingdean? That's the only place within yards of the road.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That South Coast road really is a horrendous trip. Living in Newhaven I sadly have to do it most days. Takes 45 minutes on a good day from Newhaven to Hove, 11 miles

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here