Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ECB approve new 100 ball competition

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/668162

For people who just don't have the time or attention span to sit through an actual T20 match, I assume. Because knocking those 20 balls off the end of the innings will make all the difference.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I guess cricket is always evolving as 20/20 been around a while in its current format looking for a fresh approach to challenge the ipl or the big bash sure kids will love it and I guess that’s the important thing for finance and the future of youngsters comming into the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, that's a 16 2/3 / 16 2/3 competition?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I play Last Man Stands games - those are 100-ball innings 8-a-side cricket. I quite enjoy playing them, I'm not sure I'd pay to watch one

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
LMS games are 20 5-ball overs

Believe me, if you're bowling the last over and batters are hitting out to your six fielders, you're relieved that it's only the five

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fifteen normal overs plus one extra over of 10 balls.

Interesting idea. I'd like to see a captain given the option of choosing for one of his bowlers to bowl a 12-ball 'super over'. Imagine 12 balls of pace sent down from one end right at the start of the innings, or 12 balls from a spinner on his game in the middle of the innings, or perhaps 12 consecutive balls towards the end of the match when wickets are beginning to tumble.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I actually hesitated while reading this thread to check the date. I realised we are in April but for a split second I genuinely had to check I wasn't being taken in by the gag.

You couldn't make it up.
What are they doing to our game?

How about making all football matches one hour long followed by a 10 minute extra period when all goals count double?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cricket for folk who don't like cricket.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/668162

For people who just don't have the time or attention span to sit through an actual T20 match, I assume. Because knocking those 20 balls off the end of the innings will make all the difference.

That website is nearly as bad as The Argus'

Personally I'd prefer a return to timeless tests, uncovered wickets and sticks of rhubarb.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I actually hesitated while reading this thread to check the date. I realised we are in April but for a split second I genuinely had to check I wasn't being taken in by the gag.

You couldn't make it up.
What are they doing to our game?

How about making all football matches one hour long followed by a 10 minute extra period when all goals count double?

I'd happily make football an hour of actual play, with the clock stopping each time play stopped.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I remember watching a T20i on Sky years back between New Zealand and The West Indies which finished level and went to a super over, which Chris Gayle scored 20+ off. I think it was the first time a T20i went to a super over. On the Sky coverage Charles Colville joked afterwards they'll end up doing away with the preceding 40 overs and just turn cricket into a 1 over game.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They should make it more like village cricket. All players need to have had a minimum of 2 pints before they step on to the field. Let one of the player's parents be square leg umpire too.

I'd pay good money to watch a Village/Village International.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They should make it more like village cricket. All players need to have had a minimum of 2 pints before they step on to the field. Let one of the player's parents be square leg umpire too.

I'd pay good money to watch a Village/Village International.

That's just the juniors. We had one player who we used to collect from the pub and was always worse for wear. Still managed to open the innings and put together 15 or 20 slow runs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here