Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Do you play a musical instrument

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
4 years ago, on my 50th birthday, around @R.Slickers house, who threw the party for me, ( he's the best, along with his sausages!) where we had the best barbie and 50th anyone could wish for, I decided that I would learn the guitar, after a life of watching friends play and not joining in.

Best decision I made for years. Absolutely loving it massive time,

Of course it's difficult to start with, because you feel a bit silly, but it's like building blocks, just do one thing at a time.

I was lucky because a busker lived above me and he gave me confidence, and we played together loads.. Just learn the main chords separately and flawlessly, and then build them together.

Of course it seems to take ages, but keep at it and never stop. Make sure the chord that you are on rings true otherwise do it again. Make the sound ring.

As a side note, because of my learning guitar, my son has started and is gifted, and I've met a few pros and chatted about it, and all were so supportive, most notably, a couple of the Blockheads while having something herbal in their motor, and Nik Kershaw, who taught me AM ( a minor ).

It's a beautifull thing. :rock::rock::rock::rock:

Take my advice. Don't watch "almost famous" I was seriously depressed afterwards...I kept wishing I was 25 again and touring...in the 70s. Long hair, beards and swapping groupies with Led Zep.

What a great movie that is.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
4 years ago, on my 50th birthday, around @R.Slickers house, who threw the party for me, ( he's the best, along with his sausages!) where we had the best barbie and 50th anyone could wish for, I decided that I would learn the guitar, after a life of watching friends play and not joining in.

Best decision I made for years. Absolutely loving it massive time,

Of course it's difficult to start with, because you feel a bit silly, but it's like building blocks, just do one thing at a time.

I was lucky because a busker lived above me and he gave me confidence, and we played together loads.. Just learn the main chords separately and flawlessly, and then build them together.

Of course it seems to take ages, but keep at it and never stop. Make sure the chord that you are on rings true otherwise do it again. Make the sound ring.

As a side note, because of my learning guitar, my son has started and is gifted, and I've met a few pros and chatted about it, and all were so supportive, most notably, a couple of the Blockheads while having something herbal in their motor, and Nik Kershaw, who taught me AM ( a minor ).

It's a beautifull thing. :rock::rock::rock::rock:

What? THE Blockheads, as in Ian Dury and the? They are top musicians, legends. Just watch Norman Watt-Roy's fretboard action on Rhythm Stick, unbelievable. If they ever get caught short and need a place to build one up, PM me. :bowdown:

7.jpg

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
What? THE Blockheads, as in Ian Dury and the? They are top musicians, legends. Just watch Norman Watt-Roy's fretboard action on Rhythm Stick, unbelievable. If they ever get caught short and need a place to build one up, PM me. :bowdown:

View attachment 96175

One of the best bass lines ever.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'm a pretty good DJ so I'd say I can play a record well. None of this CDJ nonsense though, vinyl on some 1210's.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

View attachment 96175

It is the Blockheads, but obviously not with with Ian, as it was a couple of years ago.

Derek was the singer and blooming brilliant, and if anyone hasn't seen this lot as they are now, you're missing a trick. He told me a few tales.....

I worked behind the scenes at a venue in Worthing where we had these types of artists, and I met these guys twice, and I can honestly say they are so much fun and loveliness. Absolute pleasure to meet and do things for.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It is the Blockheads, but obviously not with with Ian, as it was a couple of years ago.

Derek was the singer and blooming brilliant, and if anyone hasn't seen this lot as they are now, you're missing a trick. He told me a few tales.....

I worked behind the scenes at a venue in Worthing where we had these types of artists, and I met these guys twice, and I can honestly say they are so much fun and loveliness. Absolute pleasure to meet and do things for.

I was living in Crawley when they did their last tour with Ian and missed the gig in Brighton. Gutted. Saw them play at the Concord a year or so after he passed and they had Phil Jupitus and Mark Lamar standing in for him. Lamar was a bit meh, but Jupitus was great. Kieth Allen was supposed to turn up but bailed out. Tosser. Great ****ing gig though. They sometimes play at the Komedia, apparently they really like to play there. Brilliant live band.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I was living in Crawley when they did their last tour with Ian and missed the gig in Brighton. Gutted. Saw them play at the Concord a year or so after he passed and they had Phil Jupitus and Mark Lamar standing in for him. Lamar was a bit meh, but Jupitus was great. Kieth Allen was supposed to turn up but bailed out. Tosser. Great ****ing gig though. They sometimes play at the Komedia, apparently they really like to play there. Brilliant live band.

They are superb, and cracking lads to chat and deal with.

I've met a few whilst in that job, and these guys were by far and away the nicest and funniest ever.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

View attachment 96175

I was listening to Rhythm Stick for about the millionth time last week, only this time I really listened to it, it really is a brilliant and remarkable song, so much going on played by fabulous musicians, never ever get bored listening to it.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I sing, play the piano and guitar.

To the OP, if you're going to play solo, I recommend you, initially at least, strum the guitar and sing along.

You can try to learn fancy finger picking but that will take you years to accomplish, in the meantime the sound will be very thin unless you play with others.

Although I like to sing jazz with the piano, I get more enjoyment out of strumming guitar and singing along particularly as I can maintain the rhythm because my guitar chords are simpler than my piano ones. My best accompaniment for singing jazz is in my head, actually, where I have complete control.

For guitar, I like Beatles and 60s pop mostly, chord books of songs with chord diagrams on the same page are best.

One of these days I might approach someone like Ian Shaw to see if he'd lower himself to teaching me jazz singing/piano combination; in the meantime I'm improving my playing piano by ear slowly but surely.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I sing, play the piano and guitar.

To the OP, if you're going to play solo, I recommend you, initially at least, strum the guitar and sing along.

You can try to learn fancy finger picking but that will take you years to accomplish, in the meantime the sound will be very thin unless you play with others.

Although I like to sing jazz with the piano, I get more enjoyment out of strumming guitar and singing along particularly as I can maintain the rhythm because my guitar chords are simpler than my piano ones. My best accompaniment for singing jazz is in my head, actually, where I have complete control.

For guitar, I like Beatles and 60s pop mostly, chord books of songs with chord diagrams on the same page are best.

One of these days I might approach someone like Ian Shaw to see if he'd lower himself to teaching me jazz singing/piano combination; in the meantime I'm improving my playing piano by ear slowly but surely.
Thanks for the advice.

I'm ticking along nicely and trying not to pressure myself too much. Every practice session is a learning curve and I am loving every second of learning to play. Especially the piano.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Played in bands in the 70s and 80s, mainly on guitar, but on occasions bass, drums, keyboards or mandolin. Never got any further than local radio, and then marriage, kids, mortgage and a proper job kicked in so retired (the first time).
Played for a while in country dance bands - valuable second income towards paying the mortgage - and quite fun. I was once playing as a stand-in on a village green on a sunny afternoon when somebody from my regular band crept up behind me and stuffed forty quid in my pocket for a cancellation fee for a gig I didn't even know about......fun times!
A couple of strokes I my early fifties prompted another retirement. Right hand wasn't quite doing what it was told to do as it did before! A few years ago, though, the bug caught up with me again and I sort of re-learned the guitar, using different techniques, and now I'm playing again. Solo gigs around my local area now - some open mics, some paid gigs - so semi-pro again, but more semi than pro if you see what I mean. Still, it's always nice for an OAP to earn a few extra quid!

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
I was very good at the oboe when I was a teenager (grade 8) but it’s not very rock n roll so I stopped when I left school. Played piano as well. But wasn’t as good at that. Always think that one day I might try and learn the drums (which I think would be tough) or bass guitar (which I reckon would be quite easy).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
For the last few years i have been playing covers in a studio with a few mates. Bloody brilliant release from life's stresses.

I played bass in a couple of bands and gigged regularly around Brighton in the 90's. The peak was supporting Radiohead at the Richmond in 1993. Love playing the bass but I am also reasonable at guitar. I love to sing also I am hit and miss, keep practising though.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I’ve played bass for over 40 years, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I've played Bass for over 30 years and I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Seriously mate...it's not The Wailers or Chic were talking about here.

Cliff Williams is retiring from AC/DC this year and, apart from Love Hungry Man, I don't think he's had to play more than 5 notes and the odd slide.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here