Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Do you play a musical instrument

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Now that we are safe :whistle: We can discuss things that keep us busy before The World Cup begins....

This forum contains many music lovers of all genres. However, I am interested to know if any of you play a musical instrumental to a decent standard?

I am learning both the piano (electric) and guitar (acoustic). The challenges are somewhat difficult but I am getting there. I am a singer and a part time radio presenter so I guess I have a fairly decent 'ear' for picking up a tune.

I am learning piano from a software program called 'Piano For All' and learning the guitar via a guy call Justin 'guitar', also available online.

YouTube offers some really good help as well.

Can any of you lovely people advise on any other links to places worth a look?

The hardest challenge seems to be trying to play and sing at the same time! HOW do you do that??? :bowdown:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Bass. I played in a few bands in the 90s. Then the best guitarist I’ve ever met decided that he was going to go Christian just as we were breaking through and didn’t want to rock anymore...I just gave up...

Sad really but hey ho.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
1/2 an hour a day, 3 or 4 times a week and in 3 months you can be satisfactorily shit at the guitar.

FACT.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Play piano and accordion .
I know the accordion is not a sexy instrument but I love it!!!
During the 90's and 00's was gigging regularly around London and festivals in a band. In a mad sort of ska/world folk band.

Still play regularly but now more sedately in folk sessions and in a barn dance band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No, possibly my biggest regret in life :down:

Is what I was going to say as well, and it is now having the time and inclination to learn.
Everyone can learn but I have always thought that to play a musical instrument really well you have to be born with something special, maybe you have inherited it from a parent or grand parent or maybe a gift you have been given, you are either musical and have the ability to play to a really high level or you haven't.
Same goes for singing, of course there are lots of very good white singers, but so many black people sing beautifully because it's in their blood and DNA.
I love listening to music but I am so unmusical that I would be crap at it matter how many lessons I took, how do you remember what note to press or string to pluck at the right time for a whole song or lots of songs and play the right note every time and sing in tune as well.
It's a gift from above.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Tragic roundabout per chance?

Play piano and accordion .
I know the accordion is not a sexy instrument but I love it!!!
During the 90's and 00's was gigging regularly around London and festivals in a band. In a mad sort of ska/world folk band.

Still play regularly but now more sedately in folk sessions and in a barn dance band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1/2 an hour a day, 3 or 4 times a week and in 3 months you can be satisfactorily shit at the guitar.

FACT.

Actually not a fact. Some people would get up to 'satisfactorily shit' after three months, others will take longer. The regime you suggest would probably work for (almost) everyone with a ukulele, but that'll always be pretty shit anyway! Although I do appreciate that a lot of people get a lot of pleasure from playing the ukulele.........amazingly!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
No, possibly my biggest regret in life :down:

Yeah, me too. I do have an acoustic guitar and a ukulele and am not dexterous enough to do much with either, although I can play a few bars of Something and Dance Tonight on the Uke, but not very well though.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ukulele is up there with violin and recorder, an audible torture device

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Self taught drummer. Average acoustic guitar player and used to be vocalist in a band. Sadly our bass guitarist lost his life in a RTA on his motorbike and the band didn’t continue. Sad but I will forever hold the good memories we all had together.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here