Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our slippery pitch why?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We regularly spray the pitch with Castrol GTX.

The groundsman may hold the answers, more technical than plain old just water.
To improve root growth and drainage "wetting agents" are often added to high quality grass, particulalry during dry periods when the subsoil can become hydrophobic.
Wetting agents are expensive and my contact at Green Thumb told me years ago that washing up liquid mixed with water makes an ideal cheap option wetting agent. I've been watering my lawn adding washing up liquid for a few years now but never tried playing football on the surface - but it would be ultra skiddy I reckon

Last edited:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Ahhhh Dubbin!

Those were the days.
Just makes you admire some of the skills players had in the 50s with boots like these and really heavy footballs.

And hammer your studs in when the old ones (cork/leather ?) wore out, using a cobbler's last.
Then having to put in sole liners when the nails later pushed through the sole.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I glanced at their match thread yesterday and it was chock full of complaints about the dreadful state of the pitch, presumably whenever another attack broke down with a misplaced pass into the East stand. It did make me wonder what they would have made of the early days at Withdean and the half time tweaks to the swampy hole near the South Stand made by a long haired bloke with a spear.

Sometimes the views of other Premier League fans have me feeling like we're a Victorian peasant girl who escaped starvation by marrying a lord and is now listening to people at Sandringham complain about the range of hors d'ouvres.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6792426.Withdean_pitch_underwater/

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/5155089.Don_t_get_bogged_down_at_Withdean/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here