Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ulloa - should we sign him in the summer?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It will be interesting to see if we do, as it will give an indication of where the club is going.
If we want to push on to being in the top ten you would think we would aim for better.
For all his qualities, he’s just a bit slow.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Spends too much time sulking on the floor

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ulloa, Murray, Locadia plus one more for next season.
Will see the team in an even bigger relegation battle, next season.

As it's fairly safe to assume the offense will again be quarterbacked by Gross as much as he needs the attributes of a Murray or Ulloa he really needs the quicker, staying onside versions.

GM has had a tough 2052 minutes this season I think next year will be one too many, but I'm sure the club will do it's usual thing of holding onto a striker for too long, instead of investing in new.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
thought he played well when he came on and actually chased the ball for a change but i don't think he is the answer to our striker problems. i suspect some big (ish) money will be spent in the summer if we stay up.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sign him up.

With a full preseason and a run of games he has got at least two seasons at this level in the tank.

Ulloa, Murray, Locadia plus one more for next season.

Murray can move on now, he has done his bit, Ulloa is a direct replacement for him. We need another yes, but they must have a flair name.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yes. SING him up.

( I thought the secret deal was done anyway - if we stay up ).

Locadia, Murray, Ulloa + another new signing ( Powell ? ) would be a great 4 strikers for the 25 next season.

I’d tend to agree with this. We also need to consider that there are a number of impressive strikers in the U23s who’d like a seat on the bench.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
With the likely departures of Hemed and Baldock we are certainly very short up front...

We are left with Locadia and a 35 year old Murray for the new season.... we certainly will need 2 more. Ulloa for under 10 would still be great value and I would take him for that.
Plus another top quality proven striker from Spain of a different variety and we would be well placed in the forward area.

As for Ulloa performance against Spurs, I thought he was excellent for the time he was on.
Not sure what people expect when he has had a couple of starts in the cup for us since January, given game time for me he is a step up from Murray and a few years younger.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Guillem Balague - who knows his stuff - tweeted in January that it was a loan with an arrangement to buy ???

We had the opportunity to buy him back in January, but the club publicly started that they were only interested in a loan deal. Why would things have changed/ He has barelystarted a game for us since he signed.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Can't get in the side now. Can't see him getting much opportunity next season IMO, especially as CH only plays 1 striker.

Suspect he'll stick with Murray, Locadia, and Baldock and that's it for next season. Hemed will move on, and as much as I'd like to see a 4th striker come in, as mentioned above I suspect we won't sign anyone else as playing 1 up top as CH does probably only requires 3 in our squad. Hope I'm wrong though.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
When played as a striker Locadia looks decent CH is obviously working with him behind the scenes, Jose went missing for a couple of months and then came back a much better player, Hopefully we will see the same with Locadia.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I’d tend to agree with this. We also need to consider that there are a number of impressive strikers in the U23s who’d like a seat on the bench.

How can you promote Development Squad players directly on to the bench for the first team? All young players benefit from a season or two playing regular senior football in lower league teams first.

Christian Walton and Ben White are good examples of that this season, even now l question whether they are ready to bench for our senior team.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We had the opportunity to buy him back in January, but the club publicly started that they were only interested in a loan deal. Why would things have changed/ He has barelystarted a game for us since he signed.
I think Balague let the cat out of the bag by stating that there is an agreement to buy if we stay up.

Of course the club wouldn't announce this formally at the time - if we were relegated they'd look like announcing the buy clause was tempting fate and they were foolishly counting chickens.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
When played as a striker Locadia looks decent CH is obviously working with him behind the scenes, Jose went missing for a couple of months and then came back a much better player, Hopefully we will see the same with Locadia.

I actually worry as to where Chris Hughton will play Locadia. Throughout his tenure as Brighton Boss, Hughton has played with one big tall strong target man up front, be it Hemed, Zamora, Murray, Ulloa erc. The trouble is Jurgen Locadia doesn't fit into that mould, he is much more of a number ten, he needs a big rtarget man to play off of. Pascale Gross currently fills that position, and he isn't someone that is going to be dropped from the team any time soon. Perhaps a re-jig to the formation is needed.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Can't get in the side now. Can't see him getting much opportunity next season IMO, especially as CH only plays 1 striker.

Suspect he'll stick with Murray, Locadia, and Baldock and that's it for next season. Hemed will move on, and as much as I'd like to see a 4th striker come in, as mentioned above I suspect we won't sign anyone else as playing 1 up top as CH does probably only requires 3 in our squad. Hope I'm wrong though.

honestly.... you seriously think we will start the season with Murray Locadia and Baldock as our front options... ? weaker than we are now.... come on man.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Dr-evil-phil-says-no.gif

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
yeah why not. I think it would be an easy one to get over the line. Considering the number of signings we need to make in the summer. If we could tick this one off quickly i would be happy. As for his performance against Spurs, i thought he looked good, certainly the sharpest i have seen from him since his return.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Crystal Palace will look to sell Belgian striker Christian Benteke, 27, this summer. (Mail)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here