Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ulloa - should we sign him in the summer?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Argus reporting (stating the obvious?), that Ulloa won't be coming back. The right decision IMO, as he offered little in his second spell and he would take a slice of the payroll budget that could be used for new playing staff.

View attachment 97394

May be revisited if both Hemed and Baldock go ? ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Personally I rate Hemed above Ulloa.

As would I, although I'd have to admit there would be more than a little bit of hindsight talking, coupled with my 'ah bless him' perception of Tomer.

We can be grateful the loan spell ought to put an end to 'bring Leo back' threads from the No Imagination Crew, going forward.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think it depends who is available and their cost.

I have not been impressed with Leo, in most of the games I saw heplayed too deep for my liking and didn't get in the box enough. Hemed is less skillful but a harder worker and has got in 'there' more often as reflected in the number of misses. IF it were one or the other then based on what I have seen then it would be Hemed and I think he fits the teams style more i.e. he can lead the line on his own.

However if we could get £8 for Hemed and Ulloa on a free then (assuming wages are the same) it might make the club decide to sell the former or use him as part of a PX deal.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
However if we could get £8 for Hemed and Ulloa on a free then (assuming wages are the same) it might make the club decide to sell the former or use him as part of a PX deal.

They wouldn't be. Not even close, I would suggest.

(and £8 for Tomer is a bit of an insult, IMO)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think it depends who is available and their cost.

I have not been impressed with Leo, in most of the games I saw heplayed too deep for my liking and didn't get in the box enough. Hemed is less skillful but a harder worker and has got in 'there' more often as reflected in the number of misses. IF it were one or the other then based on what I have seen then it would be Hemed and I think he fits the teams style more i.e. he can lead the line on his own.

Ulloa would demand PL level wages (huge), for a striker who rarely scores and is well into his thirties (we already have Murray in that age group, so let's not add another).

Far better to spend PL wages on a younger new striker.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
As would I, although I'd have to admit there would be more than a little bit of hindsight talking, coupled with my 'ah bless him' perception of Tomer.

We can be grateful the loan spell ought to put an end to 'bring Leo back' threads from the No Imagination Crew, going forward.

At least we know the No Imagination Crew won’t be the cereal killers we are looking for

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
They wouldn't be. Not even close, I would suggest.

(and £8 for Tomer is a bit of an insult, IMO)

We don't know the wages are but yes if he wants a big wage packet then he would have to play a lot better.

I wander where that 'M' went.

Tomer got a lot of slagging on this forum but I think his overall contribution was better than Ulloa.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Ulloa would demand PL level wages (huge), for a striker who rarely scores and is well into his thirties (we already have Murray in that age group, so let's not add another).

Far better to spend PL wages on a younger new striker.

Agree but it depends who is out there. A good number of strikers just did not score many goals last year...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree but it depends who is out there. A good number of strikers just did not score many goals last year...

Very true. I recall [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] or someone mentioning last summer, about the lack of successful strikers in the PL in 16/17.

I reckon Ulloa won't at his age with his lack of mobility, cut it as a PL striker any more. Murray's older, but he's kept trim and IMO is the exception that proves the rule.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I reckon Ulloa won't at his age with his lack of mobility, cut it as a PL striker any more. Murray's older, but he's kept trim and IMO is the exception that proves the rule.
If the team is as reliant on Murray next season as the last the we're as good as down.

He is going to look very old very quickly next season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

We can always get Basher Barnes ( HGP ) back instead [emoji38]ol:

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't say I'm completely at ease with the Argus's suggestion that our forward line is set for the season. And I know I have no reason to be uncomfortable with it. Not least because the current set up has mostly done really well with recruitment.

If we're looking at Andone, Locadia, Murray, Hemed and Baldock we're looking at let's be generous and say 2/5 as unknown quantities (Andone and Locadia), 2/5 we'd likely sell to a championship side if a decent offer comes in, and Murray who did well, but will be a year older and was seen last season as 'good enough, but we'll need more next season if we want to push on'

Maybe (hopefully) Andone will be a hit, and Locadia will benefit from a full pre-season and my unease will prove to have been unfounded. But I'd be a bit more comfortable if the story was "and with potential sales of Hemed and/or Baldock, the club are still keeping an eye out on perspective options" or even "while the club will now focus on other areas of the pitch, they're open to more striker business should the right option become available".

I know that it's probably the case that they are still on the look out while focusing elsewhere, but it just would give me more comfort if that was the line being fed to the press (at least the press that I've read), rather than hearing 'that's it!'. (I know that's contradictory, but it's a head v heart thing)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Naylor's article was written before the possibility that Baldock would go to Reading became clear.

If Sam leaves, it either reprieves Tomer or it means we recruit another striker.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing a hair transpant, with a nip & tuck of the face can't fix.

Seriously, I hope we buy another quality out and out goal scorer.
Not going to happen unless the club have to do a panic buy in January.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here