Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cherry-picking relegated players...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You have been looking at my post :) Not the most gifted player but bloody hard working. Runs for miles.
Makes the Wales team tick. Bale gets the headlines, Allen does the donkey work.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
In all honesty, assuming Stoke, Southampton and WBA are the three, there are plenty of players in each side that could improve our 11 and squad.

But I just don’t see it happening - they’ll cost too much and we’ll look elsewhere you’d imagine.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our key area to look at is central midfield and I can't see such a player from those 3 teams that we'd want.

Better value strikers elsewhere too.

What about Joe Allen of Stoke? I see he has been mentioned also Kurt Zouma a right back at Stoke on loan from Chelsea. also as AM Choupo Moting

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've a feeling that Hojbjerg is better than he is currently showing at Saints. He's only 22 as well. Matt Targett as well would be a more than decent backup LB.

Also Olly Burke and James McCLean if they were discounted heavily.
The same Olly Burke that was given the runaround by our under 23's, last week?

We signed Pascal Gross from a relegated team... :whistle:

Here's a question:-

'Will the success of £3m Gross mean the club will only attempt to find other needles in haystacks, instead of just buying the whole haystack?'

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
We’ll carry on signing players from abroad that most of us have never heard off. We will not be paying overinflated prices for players who basically failed in the Premier League this season imo. This will be regardless of which division we are in.

100% this.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
There's quite a few worth looking at and assuming it's WBA, Saints and Stoke (and not us...) that go down I don't think they can be regarded as serial losers as they are all(up to now) established premier league clubs.

I'd be perfectly happy if we were linked to(and indeed signed)any of Redmond, Ward Prowse or Joe Allen. That Ndiayi(sorry about the spelling) at Stoke looks pretty decent too.

Unfortunately with them being 'established' prem clubs, if they do go down, they'll be in a position to charge decent money for them, and the players themselves would want a decent pay packet too. As such I doubt any will come to us.

There's not a lot I'd want from West Brom, mind. That club looks to have got itself in a terrible state this year, wouldn't want any of that anywhere near us.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Austin is injury prone, on massive money and it's sometimes said that he's disruptive.
Shane Long is a great athlete, but has a shocking scoring record. Last Saturday's electric performance versus Chelsea was a rarity.

In the ideal world, the following players, but they will be picked off by PL clubs being mugged off for huge wages:

Stains - Lemina, Ward-Prowse, Bertrand, Hoedt, Romeu

Stoke - Shaqiri, Ramadan, Ndiaye

WBA - Dawson, Brunt

Swansea (still possible) - Mawson, Naughton, Ki, Ayew x 2

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Austin is injury prone, on massive money and it's sometimes said that he's disruptive.
Shane Long is a great athlete, but has a shocking scoring record. Last Saturday's electric performance versus Chelsea was a rarity.

In the ideal world, the following players, but they will be picked off by PL clubs being mugged off for huge wages:

Stains - Lemina, Ward-Prowse, Bertrand, Hoedt, Romeu

Stoke - Shaqiri, Ramadan, Ndiaye

WBA - Dawson, Brunt

Swansea (still possible) - Mawson, Naughton, Ki, Ayew x 2

The problem or flaw with this approach is that if those 3 go down its for a reason, if they are good enough as claimed then theyve had problems gelling together as a squad. West ham seem to also have this problem. All of those teams have had 2 managers this season to try to get it right.

So pick any player from your list or others then ask these questions.

Is he good enough to raise our average above where we finish this season.
Does he gell easy in a squad or team?
Has a change of manager improved his performance?

These are a lot of questions/risks to pay top dollar for.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder if the HGP need will get taken up by championship and League 1 players.
As others have said it just seems to go completely against the clubs strategy to pay over the odds for a player just because he counts as a home grown player.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here