Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joey Barton: Fleetwood Town announce ex-Burnley midfielder as head coach

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not sure one of the greatest minds in football would be prepared to go as far from the intellectual centres of the game as Fleetwood.

Absolutely, he's too busy learning Spanish and preparing to get the call when Zidane leaves Real. Obviously, he'll have no idea why he didn't get it should it go to someone else.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Just because he's got a library card doesn't mean he's Yoda.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Come on. The guy is a prize bell-end. If he’s not trying to make himself look cultured in an art gallery he’s trying to sound bilingual by speaking English with a French accent. And if he’s not trying to sound philosophical by first Googling and then Tweeting Nietzsche he’s making himself look a plumb on Question Time.

He’s a grade A industrial strength pretentious cock.

And was also very early to come forward and talk about homophobia in football, when other footballers turned down interviews.

He strikes me as someone (irrespective of his wealth) struggling to break out the straight jacket of his upbringing and background.

He often fails, but to describe him as "pretentious" ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And was also very early to come forward and talk about homophobia in football, when other footballers turned down interviews.

He strikes me as someone (irrespective of his wealth) struggling to break out the straight jacket of his upbringing and background.

Agree.

If some of the keyboard warriors on here took a hard look at themselves from time to time.....:shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Admirable yes. But it doesn’t negate everything else.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

If you were to trawl my Twitter timeline or posts on here it won't take much to highlight absolute dogs abuse I've directed Bartons way, especially after he stamped on Kayal. It's a shining example of my double standards. Recently, I've changed my mind. On Talksport he does speak his mind and is worth listening to (God knows most aren't). He doesn't tow the line and praise his ex colleagues and will say what's wrong if needs be. Surely this is a good thing in management? He won't be afraid to be critical, try and improve the players and he seems to be be into self improvement although one could argue he makes the same mistakes a lot and might rub people up the wrong way.

I think he will be a limited success in a Paulo Di Canio type way. Sort a lower league team out and then come unstuck and never be seen again.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Good luck Barton. Fingers crossed he can turn over a new leaf. I always hope the bad eggs can turn good. You never know, he might even turn out to be great manager?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If you were to trawl my Twitter timeline or posts on here it won't take much to highlight absolute dogs abuse I've directed Bartons way, especially after he stamped on Kayal. It's a shining example of my double standards. Recently, I've changed my mind. On Talksport he does speak his mind and is worth listening to (God knows most aren't). He doesn't tow the line and praise his ex colleagues and will say what's wrong if needs be. Surely this is a good thing in management? He won't be afraid to be critical, try and improve the players and he seems to be be into self improvement although one could argue he makes the same mistakes a lot and might rub people up the wrong way.

I think he will be a limited success in a Paulo Di Canio type way. Sort a lower league team out and then come unstuck and never be seen again.

I'm no huge fan of him, but simply don't understand the abuse. Well I understand the football pantomime villain thing after the stamp on Kayal.

But the general abuse is quite different. Unfortunately it does expose a bit of hypocrisy and I suspect it's influenced by class hatred.

All I've observed it someone attempting to educate themselves in the public eye. Like the working class kid who got into University, but is never quite accepted.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
4-0 down at home after 66 minutes. Long may this continue.

Shame Barton wasn't in charge - he doesnt take over til next season.

He may start well, as someone said - do a Di Canio then (hopefully) disappear into the ether, or plod about in the lower leagues.

D

Deleted member 2719

Barton and Ched Evans sent off today, you couldn't make it up.

Two smashing guys too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barton and Ched Evans sent off today, you couldn't make it up.

Two smashing guys too.

So he's not been sacked and is still living.

Bit of an unnecessary :bounce: really, isn't it?

D

Deleted member 2719

So he's not been sacked and is still living.

Bit of an unnecessary :bounce: really, isn't it?

I know what admiration we have for Barton and thought, I can share his news.

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2018-12-22-22-39-08.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2018-12-22-22-39-08.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 680

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here