Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs that you didn't like when you were an opinionated youngster that you now appreciate.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Punk
Being a disco DJ in the 70's I don't think I had a single punk record in my collection.
Thinking about it, I still haven't any, but have grown to appreciate what it was all about.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
it's not really Eno's version though is it what with Eno neither writing or producing either of the albums he appears on or forming the band, but being the one who was forced out.

His fingerprints were all over the first two albums, after he left they became a bland nothingness.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Anything from any Eurovision Song Contest.

Now I’m ancient and less picky, l love them. I love them all. Even the Norwegian ones.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The thing with Dylan is that he writes great songs, but can't perform them. Covers of Dylan songs tend to be seriously good.

Have to disagree, his voice may be an acquired taste but nobody DELIVERS the lyrics like Dylan does except maybe Sinatra. The Byrds did the best cover versions of his songs imo but they changed them around completely.

I feel a thread for best Dylan covers coming on

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Was never into Bowie tbh, but just over two years ago I re-discovered 'Low'

Oh, and I find myself singing along .... to ...... Blondie songs these days

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This. I was always TeamBlur, so I didn't like Oasis by default. Now I'm happy to listen to their songs.

Reverse for me. Always been a massive Oasis fan so couldn't stand Blur as a teenager just because. Now I listen to Blur, especially MLIR and Parklife and love it. It actually takes me back to my childhood and teens in the early to mid 90's.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
broccoli--because it looked like trees

ooops, this was about songs.........................how about another thread about food...................never mind!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Being a snotty punk rocker in 1977, this was defiantly frowned upon. To long and twiddly. Nowadays, I bloody love it and them.

The most controversial thing in this video today would be the Confederate flag on stage. I wonder if they fly that flag when they're on stage in 2018.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is rated to be one of the best ever live albums and believe me I have listened to it a few times to try and get into it. I really can’t see what the fuss is about Johnny Cash, most of his songs have a very samey sounding backing too. I just don’t get the Cash love in :shrug:

Its the whole packaged, that straddling of genres, the subject matter, who the hell has a lyric 'I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die', it's dark, but its human, and always seems to tell a story, I got hooked in and gripped by it. His later recordings contained so much feeling, you could hear a life well lived through a completely paired back production. The man was a genius, something I never realised as a kid and just saw him as another country star my dad played (although now I realise he wasn't a particular favourite of my dad, because really he wasn't country!).

Have to disagree, his voice may be an acquired taste but nobody DELIVERS the lyrics like Dylan does except maybe Sinatra. The Byrds did the best cover versions of his songs imo but they changed them around completely.

I feel a thread for best Dylan covers coming on

Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower - thread already closed. It may be imagination but when I saw him live once I am sure he introduced the song as "...this is a cover of a Jimi Hendrix tune".

...Back on topic. In the early '80's I was a regular at places such as the Hungry Years, rock was king and things like soul were for softies. Now I listen to and like many genres (never, ever have got reggae and suspect I never will though). Like Stax and other Southern Soul, various brands of Country, folk and still always tune to Planet Rock when in the car.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower - thread already closed. It may be imagination but when I saw him live once I am sure he introduced the song as "...this is a cover of a Jimi Hendrix tune".

I didn’t say there weren’t better versions of Dylan songs but I still maintain he is untouchable for the delivery and timing on the lyrics by all but Sinatra.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSZvHqf9qM

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here