Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs that you didn't like when you were an opinionated youngster that you now appreciate.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I always liked it, but wouldn't admit to it when a stroppy teenager.

Devil went down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A few of the famous songs by these artists:

Johnny Cash - various amazing songs.

John Denver - Annie's Song, Leaving on a Jet Plane,

Glenn Campbell - Galveston, Wichita Lineman.

But growing up to music in the 70's and 80's, I loved post-punk, New Wave and dance music, and despised all things Country and Western.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Most of Stevie Wonder's stuff (though there are still some absolute honkers).

Geno by Dexy's which I got bored with and dismissed because it was on TOTP. Now play it all the time.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I don't know if I really didn't like them at first, but i'm listening the **** out of early Roxy Music atm.

That would be Brian Peter George St John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno's version rather than Brian Ferry's?

If so can I recommend Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy), Another Green World and Before and After Science?

I'm amazed he had time to produce Bowie, Talking Heads let alone all the collaborations with Robert Fripp et al.

He has gone off the boil in the last few years but his output 1975-1995 was amazing...

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
That would be Brian Peter George St John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno's version rather than Brian Ferry's?

If so can I recommend Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy), Another Green World and Before and After Science?

I'm amazed he had time to produce Bowie, Talking Heads let alone all the collaborations with Robert Fripp et al.

He has gone off the boil in the last few years but his output 1975-1995 was amazing...

it's not really Eno's version though is it what with Eno neither writing or producing either of the albums he appears on or forming the band, but being the one who was forced out.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
For a few years I thought that 'The Hold Steady' were rubbish, then I got drunk and was them live while getting more drunk, then they came back to the pub and we all got really drunk and then one of them had to go to hospital.

They sent me a T Shirt.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Johnny Cash – Folsom Prison Blues

This is rated to be one of the best ever live albums and believe me I have listened to it a few times to try and get into it. I really can’t see what the fuss is about Johnny Cash, most of his songs have a very samey sounding backing too. I just don’t get the Cash love in :shrug:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Everyone in six form, or so it seemed, was a Numanoid. Was not into that stuff at all but in retrospect it’s actually really very good.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Have to politely disagree. His 2005 album Another Day On Earth is INCREDIBLE, including the achingly beautiful And Then So Clear;

[yt]sLEgjBVtdhE[/yt]

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
This is rated to be one of the best ever live albums and believe me I have listened to it a few times to try and get into it. I really can’t see what the fuss is about Johnny Cash, most of his songs have a very samey sounding backing too. I just don’t get the Cash love in :shrug:

Not a huge fan of Cash or his music genre but it is a cracking album that I've listened to several times.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Most of Stevie Wonder's stuff (though there are still some absolute honkers).

Geno by Dexy's which I got bored with and dismissed because it was on TOTP. Now play it all the time.

I'm the opposite with 'Come on Eileen'. Loved it as a great pop/folk song and now hate it because all I can see is drunken wedding parties.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Back in the sixties I never really liked Roy Orbison or Gene Pitney, preferring the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc., but I have made up for it since.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
There are many things I didn't give the time of day to that I now think are ace, including a lot of Kate Bush songs.

Also an excuse to post a silly thing done in Stanmer Park. Wuthering Day is world wide now, apparently.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Most things by the Walker Brothers. Dismissed them as a kid in to the blues, the Stones, Cream and so on, but now realise what a great voice Scott Walker had.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here