Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs that you didn't like when you were an opinionated youngster that you now appreciate.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When "I bet you look good on the dance floor" went MENTAL, I decided I didn't like it or the AM's because I wanted to rebel against the sheep following the myspace music boom.

Now I realise I'm an idiot as that song is an absolute BANGER.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
When "I bet you look good on the dance floor" went MENTAL, I decided I didn't like it or the AM's because I wanted to rebel against the sheep following the myspace music boom.

Now I realise I'm an idiot as that song is an absolute BANGER.

The first time I heard them I thought, what's the fuss, I write songs like that. The second time I thought ....hmmmm???? The tenth time I gave up thinking I might be a songwriter.

When given the option of general or local anaesthetic for abdominal surgery, I chose local. With 'Do I Want To Know?' as part of the playlist in the surgery.

Initially, I thought they were shit.

Still don't like anything that wanker from The Liberteens has done

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Not that early but ....Mother Of Pearl ..... Oh my days

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcADqxnQA_4

I didn't really know who Randy Newman was. I used to hear this on the radio and think it was a big stupid anthem to the American dream. In a way, it is, but it is Randy's big stupid anthem to the American dream, so it comes multi-layered with irony like only his songs are. He used most of Toto on the track and, like most of the 'Trouble In Paradise' album it's almost too successful at recreating the sound that he is subverting, (Or is he? I'm still not sure). I'm not even sure that he knows. All I know is that, having relaxed about the over polished sound of US eighties rock and just accepting it on it's own terms, I can now enjoy it on both levels.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I didn't like The Bends when I first heard it. What an absolute div.

On a separate, but related note, in the 90's I hated 'You're Gorgeous' by Babybird, yet I heard it recently and it induced such a Proustian rush (Kickers & Ben Sherman etc) that I now like it. But in this case I'm wrong now and was right then, as the song is still complete SHITE.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oasis. Still not a massive fan but can see the good in some of the songs.

Coldplay - Parachutes. It's a great album, regardless of what they've done since.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Oasis. Still not a massive fan but can see the good in some of the songs.

This. I was always TeamBlur, so I didn't like Oasis by default. Now I'm happy to listen to their songs.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
everything by Dire Straits. Then it was 'Dad-music', now I'm a Dad, and its bloody great,

Also, whisper it, there are a couple of Smiths songs that I now find tolerable. Just a couple mind.

Odd one, I think most people are going the other way every time Morrissey opens his mouth! Loved them myself.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm now think 'Hold Me Now ' is a good song

:ffsparr:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The first time I heard them I thought, what's the fuss, I write songs like that. The second time I thought ....hmmmm???? The tenth time I gave up thinking I might be a songwriter.

When given the option of general or local anaesthetic for abdominal surgery, I chose local. With 'Do I Want To Know?' as part of the playlist in the surgery.

Initially, I thought they were shit.

Still don't like anything that wanker from The Liberteens has done

Conversely, I remain of the view that 'I bet you look good on the dance floor' is inexplicably overrated garbage, while I don't mind The Libertines.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here