Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] A small example of what a small club full of small people THEY are

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If anything's going to stamp his hatred of Palace from an early age, this could be it.

For most of us, especially in the light of Palace fans continued and valued support of REMF, it's exaggerated, parochial and slightly irrational, but Josh will have something tangible here.

A classless act by the announcer for cheap comedy at the expense of a young child, but ultimately he's just succeeded in training up at least one Albion fan for the next 70+ years.

That legacy is likely go on a lot longer than he'll be around to see, let alone be on the microphone for.

He who laughs last laughs longest.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly this will be water off a ducks back.

It doesn't take much to think what the replies will be when this thread makes it up there.

There certainly won't be a single reply along the lines of 'yeah that was a bit shite, wasn't it?'

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In all seriousness, the management of any worthwhile organisation would come down on that like a ton of bricks. I will probably be accused of being overly PC, but if that was my son I would be complaining very vociferously to CFPC. It's disgusting.

Indeed.

You can imagine the family of the child were probably treated very nicely by CPFC behind the scenes in the build up to this. It's a big moment for a young kid to take part in. I imagine CPFC neglected to say they'd be looking to take the piss out of the child for the benefit of their own supporters once they had him isolated on the pitch.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
On the other side of the coin, when their junior team were walking around the pitch at half time because they had won something or other a lot of our fans were clapping them and the last kiddie walked past giving us all a two handed middle finger response. I thought that was funny.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In all seriousness, the management of any worthwhile organisation would come down on that like a ton of bricks

More likely they were high fiving each other in the Directors' Box, I imagine. What larks.

I find myself wanting to high five the lad myself for not responding at the time. If it was anybody's son on here: well done to you for raising a fine boy :clap2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hopefully, someone with half a brain may point out to the Palace announcer that it wasn't a very sensitive way to behave with a nervous 7 year old.
He may well reflect on it and learn from it. But I somehow doubt it.

It's the tiny things, both good and bad, that define a club.

In this case I'm sure the announcer doesn't give a sh*t and will continue with his rather limited DJ skills and bantz with the amazingly loyal home supporters.

Were either of the Blooms there on Saturday?

They would have been absolutely fuming at that (though I guess directors wouldn't be in their seats at HT). Not bantz. Not cool.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Crystal+Palace+v+Chelsea+Premier+League+i2hi7ZoTi7Xl.jpg

Bj-hmKqCMAEvFof.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's a meaningless, tedious thread that runs through their putrified DNA.

Posted a light-hearted thing on Twitter last night they marvellous scenes of being no half and half scarf sellers at Brighton Station. Cue our opposite number at HOL Radio who pointed out 'probably because they know Chelsea hate Tottenham'. It's like one silly, five year-olds' playground gag that had no meaning in the first place, that they repeat, Teletubbies-style for their own unsophisticated pleasure.

When it comes to 'BANTZ', especially from someone supposedly grown-up, seven year-olds are off limits. It's a bit like accusing them of being FKWs. But, this is Palace, decent social considerations are not their forte.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On the plus side, well played to the seven year old hero for not responding.

There was a brief moment where I feared he'd not understand the big brave Palace announcer was taking the piss and, would, as many small children would in that situation, try to come up with an answer (like, God forbid, "Eden Hazard").

Good lad for ignoring it, whether out of loyalty, sheer puzzlement, or anything else.

The obvious answer is the 7 year old had more intelligence than the compere.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Forgot about this until last night. And I can't say I really wanted to talk about CPFC much more after the weekend. But if you missed it, this is something that grated with me during Saturday's game and rather summed up their attitude as a club.

Half time at Castle Greyskull. A children's penalty shootout on the pitch by means of entertainment. Fine. Community engagement, getting the kids involved and all that. The usual sort of thing, but a big deal for the children involved, no doubt. Two Palace kids, two from Albion. As they amble up for their big moment, the pitch announcer grabs each one for a quick word: what's your name, where do you live, your favourite player and all that.

The youngest and by far the smallest of the four steps up in his Brighton kit. He's seven years old, he says. Seven. Let's call him Josh, primarily because I can't remember his actual name. Up comes the Palace announcer, stifling a giggle: he's almost certainly been waiting for this moment all day.

"What's your name, young man?".
"Josh"
"And who's your favourite Chelsea player, Josh?"

Cue much hilarity & cheering from the home fans who were actually bothering to listen, and a puzzled silence from the young man. "ONLY JOKING!" says Mr Announcer. "Your favourite BRIGHTON player! Haha! Josh, everyone!".

Now I know it's not the worst thing that's happened in the world this week. Maybe I've somehow missed the hilarious BANTZ of the situation. But that was a seven year old child. A seven year old who he's taken a cheap shot at, in front of twenty six thousand people, to try and ingratiate himself with their fans and make himself look like the funny man. Take the piss out of us grown ups all you like, but not by trying to humiliate a seven year old boy, you absolute whopper. Small, small man. Small, small club.

Anyway. I just needed to vent there. More importantly, and getting back on track here: wasn't last night GREAT?

Yep, I thought the same at the time.

No class. Zero. Someone needs to have a word with the bloke.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Were either of the Blooms there on Saturday?

They would have been absolutely fuming at that (though I guess directors wouldn't be in their seats at HT). Not bantz. Not cool.

The antithesis of the Blooms and Chris Hughton, but you only have to look at that club's classless history in terms of chairman and managers - Jordan, Parish, Allardyce, Pardew, Noades...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sadly this will be water off a ducks back.

It doesn't take much to think what the replies will be when this thread makes it up there.

There certainly won't be a single reply along the lines of 'yeah that was a bit shite, wasn't it?'

Of course not. We will be a veritable blizzard's worth of snowflakes. I know that, and I don't care.

As I said. If he'd said "Brighton are going to lose, aren't they?" to the kid, that would have been fine. Pretty standard. The Palace junior team player mentioned on another post as having given the bird to the Albion fans as they walked past on their lap of honour: absolutely no problem with that (in fact, I laughed when I read it). But deliberately setting up a seven year old in the (failed) hope that he'll publicly say something embarrassing for no reason other than to make yourself look funny, is just weak and poor IMHO.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The antithesis of the Blooms and Chris Hughton, but you only have to look at that club's classless history in terms of chairman and managers - Jordan, Parish, Allardyce, Pardew, Noades...

Not just that - I understand that the basis of this 'bantz' is something Uncle Tony is quite sensitive about. He was rightly fuming about the Chelsea fan, in home seats, that started the whole 'Eden can I have your shirt' crap, and is the reason for the severe clamp-down on reselling tickets.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I know some CPFC fans that are good people

But the club is rotten from top to bottom, how low can they go?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Not just that - I understand that the basis of this 'bantz' is something Uncle Tony is quite sensitive about. He was rightly fuming about the Chelsea fan, in home seats, that started the whole 'Eden can I have your shirt' crap, and is the reason for the severe clamp-down on reselling tickets.

If I'd ploughed a huge amount of my own money into the club and I saw that sort of stuff - I'd be more than a bit sensitive myself.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If I was a parent of the child, I'd be tempted to drop CPFC an email asking for an explanation, just to see how they'd respond.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I assume the announcer presented the microphone to the kid to answer .... I would have loved it is the kid had responded with "Oh do **** off!" or similar. If that was my kid I'd have been so proud.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here