Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] A small example of what a small club full of small people THEY are

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Forgot about this until last night. And I can't say I really wanted to talk about CPFC much more after the weekend. But if you missed it, this is something that grated with me during Saturday's game and rather summed up their attitude as a club.

Half time at Castle Greyskull. A children's penalty shootout on the pitch by means of entertainment. Fine. Community engagement, getting the kids involved and all that. The usual sort of thing, but a big deal for the children involved, no doubt. Two Palace kids, two from Albion. As they amble up for their big moment, the pitch announcer grabs each one for a quick word: what's your name, where do you live, your favourite player and all that.

The youngest and by far the smallest of the four steps up in his Brighton kit. He's seven years old, he says. Seven. Let's call him Josh, primarily because I can't remember his actual name. Up comes the Palace announcer, stifling a giggle: he's almost certainly been waiting for this moment all day.

"What's your name, young man?".
"Josh"
"And who's your favourite Chelsea player, Josh?"

Cue much hilarity & cheering from the home fans who were actually bothering to listen, and a puzzled silence from the young man. "ONLY JOKING!" says Mr Announcer. "Your favourite BRIGHTON player! Haha! Josh, everyone!".

Now I know it's not the worst thing that's happened in the world this week. Maybe I've somehow missed the hilarious BANTZ of the situation. But that was a seven year old child. A seven year old who he's taken a cheap shot at, in front of twenty six thousand people, to try and ingratiate himself with their fans and make himself look like the funny man. Take the piss out of us grown ups all you like, but not by trying to humiliate a seven year old boy, you absolute whopper. Small, small man. Small, small club.

Anyway. I just needed to vent there. More importantly, and getting back on track here: wasn't last night GREAT?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Forgot about this until last night. And I can't say I really wanted to talk about CPFC much more after the weekend. But if you missed it, this is something that grated with me during Saturday's game and rather summed up their attitude as a club.

Half time at Castle Greyskull. A children's penalty shootout on the pitch by means of entertainment. Fine. Community engagement, getting the kids involved and all that. The usual sort of thing, but a big deal for the children involved, no doubt. Two Palace kids, two from Albion. As they amble up for their big moment, the pitch announcer grabs each one for a quick word: what's your name, where do you live, your favourite player and all that.

The youngest and by far the smallest of the four steps up in his Brighton kit. He's seven years old, he says. Seven. Let's call him Josh, primarily because I can't remember his actual name. Up comes the Palace announcer, stifling a giggle: he's almost certainly been waiting for this moment all day.

"Josh"

Cue much hilarity & cheering from the home fans who were actually bothering to listen, and a puzzled silence from the young man. "ONLY JOKING!" says Mr Announcer. "Your favourite BRIGHTON player! Haha! Josh, everyone!".

Now I know it's not the worst thing that's happened in the world this week. Maybe I've somehow missed the hilarious BANTZ of the situation. But that was a seven year old child. A seven year old who he's taken a cheap shot at, in front of twenty six thousand people, to try and ingratiate himself with their fans and make himself look like the funny man. Take the piss out of us grown ups all you like, but not by trying to humiliate a seven year old boy, you absolute whopper. Small, small man. Small, small club.

Anyway. I just needed to vent there. More importantly, and getting back on track here: wasn't last night GREAT?

Yes, last night was great thanks, but I don't think we should be discussing that on here.:love:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It might cheer you up to learn that a priceless opportunity to take the **** out of the small club dropped my way the other day when I was visiting the muddy field and collection of sheds that passes for their training ground on business. I bumped into Ian 'Moose' Abrahams, the self-styled legend of talkSPORT just as a clutch of Selhurst Barcelona no-marks including Puncheon, Townsend and Loftus-Cheek emerged into the watery Beckenham sunshine as it tried to force its way through the smoke still drifting across from burning locally-owned Croydon retail outlets.

In a rare moment of inspiration, I said: 'Hello, Moose. Blimey, I've never seen anyone famous here before.' Okay, there was a risk of inflating Moose's already gargantuan ego to bursting point. But it was worth it for the look on Puncheon's face.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Club of ***** who believe all they read on their forums. Amazing how they don't talk about the Spurs fan head ultra or the Man Utd hats in the Cantona pics.. Oh or the 10,000 'fans' they seem to have acquired since they became a PL franchise club :shrug:

Anyway, forget that lucky dead rubber win for them - we've moved on to competing against the best in the world after last night :) Perfect way to forget Sat ever happened :)

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

"Josh"

The announcer was probably one of those smug, trying to be popular kids that everyone hated when they were at school.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Hopefully, someone with half a brain may point out to the Palace announcer that it wasn't a very sensitive way to behave with a nervous 7 year old.
He may well reflect on it and learn from it. But I somehow doubt it.

It's the tiny things, both good and bad, that define a club.

In this case I'm sure the announcer doesn't give a sh*t and will continue with his rather limited DJ skills and bantz with the amazingly loyal home supporters.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Horrible thing to do to a kid but in a way I find it oddly reassuring that even in situations like this, Palace are so classless.

I live in constant dread that one day they might do something that makes me reassess my attitude towards them.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
It might cheer you up to learn that a priceless opportunity to take the **** out of the small club dropped my way the other day when I was visiting the muddy field and collection of sheds that passes for their training ground on business. I bumped into Ian 'Moose' Abrahams, the self-styled legend of talkSPORT just as a clutch of Selhurst Barcelona no-marks including Puncheon, Townsend and Loftus-Cheek emerged into the watery Beckenham sunshine as it tried to force its way through the smoke still drifting across from burning locally-owned Croydon retail outlets.

In a rare moment of inspiration, I said: 'Hello, Moose. Blimey, I've never seen anyone famous here before.' Okay, there was a risk of inflating Moose's already gargantuan ego to bursting point. But it was worth it for the look on Puncheon's face.

To be fair, Loftus-Cheek was probably their best player at the weekend (far better than Zaha, for example, despite the obvious plus point for them of his goals). He might turn out to be a top player one day. Which nobody will ever say about Puncheon or Townsend. Brave man taking the piss out of Puncheon though. Has he been to court yet?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Same club whose ultras turned up in numbers to abuse a BHAFC childrens team.

They must put something into the Selhurst pints that turns them into wrong uns.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bet he felt really good taking the piss out of a 7 year old kid. Big man.

No doubt he was one of the twunts wearing a Man Utd hat / scarf when Cantona served a bit of justice

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
If any tale so perfectly illustrates the utter classlessness that exists up there, then this is surely it.

It does indeed. I'm sure Parish & chums thought it was absolutely classic bantz, just like they do with all the cheeky LOLZ that the Always Ultras get up to.

Me, I believe it was snidey and frankly typical of their club. I wouldn't expect Richard Reynolds to mock a seven year old in a Palace shirt if the situation was reversed. Even if he'd laughed with the boy and said something like "Brighton are going to lose today, aren't they, Josh?" to the kid, that would have been sort of normal, just fairly standard football stuff. But to try and embarrass him like he did was cheap and mean and a poor show.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He's a grown man picking on a 7 year old child. Don't bother wasting your effort on him, life has already failed him in a million different ways.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Further indication of just what a rancid club CPFC2010 is, from top to bottom. From their spiv creditor-swerving chairman, to their laughable black hooded "Ultras", to their endlessly sneering keyboard warriors, to their cheating diving 1 man team, to their snide poogate cover-up, and now to their matchday announcer, who thinks a 7 year old lad is fair game to take the piss out of in front of 25,000 people on what was probably one of the biggest days of his life.

The club is utter filth.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
It does indeed. I'm sure Parish & chums thought it was absolutely classic bantz, just like they do with all the cheeky LOLZ that the Always Ultras get up to.

Me, I believe it was snidey and frankly typical of their club. I wouldn't expect Richard Reynolds to mock a seven year old in a Palace shirt if the situation was reversed. Even if he'd laughed with the boy and said something like "Brighton are going to lose today, aren't they, Josh?" to the kid, that would have been sort of normal, just fairly standard football stuff. But to try and embarrass him like he did was cheap and mean and a poor show.

In all seriousness, the management of any worthwhile organisation would come down on that like a ton of bricks. I will probably be accused of being overly PC, but if that was my son I would be complaining very vociferously to CFPC. It's disgusting.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
To be fair, Loftus-Cheek was probably their best player at the weekend (far better than Zaha, for example, despite the obvious plus point for them of his goals). He might turn out to be a top player one day. Which nobody will ever say about Puncheon or Townsend. Brave man taking the piss out of Puncheon though. Has he been to court yet?

I hope you're not suggesting that I should let the facts get in the way of a good story. Fortunately I doubt whether Loftus-Cheek will be continuing his development anywhere near Croydon.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
On the plus side, well played to the seven year old hero for not responding.

There was a brief moment where I feared he'd not understand the big brave Palace announcer was taking the piss and, would, as many small children would in that situation, try to come up with an answer (like, God forbid, "Eden Hazard").

Good lad for ignoring it, whether out of loyalty, sheer puzzlement, or anything else.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

"Josh"

I thought he was asking the holmesdale.:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here