Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Return of the King

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Kayal was an absolute beast last night. He was my MOTM amongst a few candidates, but I just thought his all-action display and non-stop tackling and closing down just set the tone for the whole team. It was a captains performance, just without the armband.

The levels of intense concentration you need to maintain when playing a team of Spurs's quality must be absolutely exhausting. They never stop pressing or probing, and have several players who can unlock you in an instant. But against that we kept our shape, kept our composure, and gave Spurs plenty to think about when we came forward. I don't think anyone was less than an 8 out of 10, but Kayal epitomised the performance we needed in order to get something from that game, he was simply immense.

This sums it up for me. The energy and commitment shown by Kayal were a perfect example of what we seem to have been missing for a large portion of this season. Yes, we still made mistakes and there were far too many risky back passes for my liking but we largely nullified Spurs, they knew they'd been in a scrap and that's what we want to see. More of the same, please, in the next four games.

Apr 29, 2012
Was it just my eyes, or did Stephens play even better alongside Kayal than with Propper? Perhaps the familiarity of having him there from a couple of seasons playing together made him more confident?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Saves us a lot of money in the summer if we only need 1 new central midfielder not 2.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bong had another understated but excellent game and edges MOM for me, as well as Kayal played.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Bong had another understated but excellent game and edges MOM for me, as well as Kayal played.

can't see that . Bong well involved in the goal we conceded. Didn't think he was great.

Kayal was magnificent though. Full of passion and hard in the tackle. He was everywhere.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I think Kayal also copped it in the PLUMS twice in very quick succession in the second half, once from a free kick and then a couple of minutes later when blocking another shot.

Balls of solid ROCK if that's the case.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
He was exceptional and I particularly enjoyed how he took two in the nether regions in the space of a minute or so. Raised a few chuckles in the ESU...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not sure how you can give Kayal MoTM in the same post as discounting Gross for his involvement in the Spurs goal when Kayal made that horror pass that got Dunk booked and gave away a free kick in the D....

Kayal was very good 2nd half, but made a couple of big mistakes early on that we could have been easily punished for.

Gross was my MoTM, closely followed by Dunk & Kayal.

As I said, Gross was at fault Twice for that goal. 2 bits of very sloppy play from him ( unusual ) and I know Bong also should have just made sure it went out of play.

Kayal was simply superb, just that one short pass, which cost us nothing.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Knocky was the Man of the First Half, tough to pick who was our best in the second half for me.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Agree with all of the above.

The way Beram was controlling the competitors around him was reminiscent of Richard O'Brien in his pomp.

MAIN-Richard-OBrien.jpg

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Kayal actually has a bit of pace over 5 yards when on the ball unlike Stephens and Propper.

Kayal will be hard to remove from the side when Propper is available.

I'm not so sure.
CH tends to be very loyal to his favoured starting XI.

Fortunately for Kayal he has one more game to impress.
If he can play against Burnley the same way he did against Spurs then Chris will have a decision to make, and I think Kayal might well keep the spot, but let's be honest ... apart from last night Kayal has looked way off the pace this year, so Propper still remains the better bet until Kayal shows consistency.

One swallow does not make a summer .......

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I think Kayal also copped it in the PLUMS twice in very quick succession in the second half, once from a free kick and then a couple of minutes later when blocking another shot.

Balls of solid ROCK if that's the case.

He has CAJONES.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm not so sure.

If he can play against Burnley the same way he did against Spurs then Chris will have a decision to make, and I think Kayal might well keep the spot, but let's be honest ... apart from last night Kayal has looked way off the pace this year, so Propper still remains the better bet until Kayal shows consistency.

centre of the park for the odd 10 mins its hard not look of the pace at times.
I thought he was very good against Palace too, a couple of games to get match fit and he is showing he is more than good enough.

CH wont drop him if he's playing well.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
centre of the park for the odd 10 mins its hard not look of the pace at times.
I thought he was very good against Palace too, a couple of games to get match fit and he is showing he is more than good enough.

CH wont drop him if he's playing well.

Just goes to show what a bit of competition for places can do

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not so sure.

If Kayal has another blinder against Burnley he’ll keep the shirt - it’s the CH way. Can see Propper coming on for Gross later in the game and playing a role more similar to that he does for the Dutch (depending on the situation at the time)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here