Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To the early leavers, a cautionary tale

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
in 1983 when we played Spurs at the Goldstone. As the 2nd half progressed, we didn't look like we were going to recover from 1-0 down, so I decided to cut my losses and head for the bus.

As I started walking along the Old Shoreham Road I heard a massive cheer - we'd just equalised. I was annoyed but pleased .We'd gained a point and I was still going to get home early. Then, as I reached the bus stop, another roar. We'd come back with two goals in the last two minutes to gain a famous victory.
If we're a goal down with 5 to go, could you leave early please?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Having grown up in one, it was pretty derelict in the houses they built there! There was still a large overgrown field with a couple of vicious horses in when I was growing up there which was great fun to go play in. Got built on about 30 years ago.

Yes my mum and Dad had a flat there in Arun court....years ago......remember the horses!

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
I don't want to re-hash the many threads on the topic but today possibly marks the end of a long era of regret resulting from leaving a game early.

I was 12 years old and a season ticket holder. I'd travel to each home game on the No.2 bus from Shoreham. After the matches there would be massive queues for the bus home, and the buses that came along seemed to all go to Mile Oak or Hangleton with only the occasional 2 or 2a. So, if the match looked done and dusted, I'd leave at the 85 minute mark and be head of the queue. That is until the day in 1983 when we played Spurs at the Goldstone. As the 2nd half progressed, we didn't look like we were going to recover from 1-0 down, so I decided to cut my losses and head for the bus.

As I started walking along the Old Shoreham Road I heard a massive cheer - we'd just equalised. I was annoyed but pleased .We'd gained a point and I was still going to get home early. Then, as I reached the bus stop, another roar. We'd come back with two goals in the last two minutes to gain a famous victory. And I'd missed it. Never has being front of the queue felt so worthless, the appearance of the bus coming over the hill felt like a dagger to my heart and I've never been so miserable being on the top deck at the front - I didn't even pretend to drive.

From that day, I vowed never to leave a game early again and I never have. Through drubbings and drabbings, I've stayed until the bitter end because, as that match taught me, you just never know.

This evening marks the first chance I've had in 35 years to see Brighton beat Spurs at home in the top flight. No matter what the score at 85 minutes, I'll be sticking around cos I may not be around in another 35 years.

So, to the early leavers, I understand the attraction of leaving but I guarantee you won't spend 35 years regretting staying at a match or remembering the extra 30 minutes you had to queue. But you may end up regretting leaving and missing something magical.

Magnificent recall. It clearly hurt. My lucky escape from missing something good, was going to leave early with friends to get bus in Old Shoreham Road, nearly missing but turning back to see Gerry Ryan make a run from his own half to make it 3-1 against Foolham in the 70s. We should all really stay to the end you know.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Think that was against Sunderland a few years earlier (77/78?)

Correct. 1978. One of the greatest, most legendary comebacks in the history of the beautiful game. Trailing 1-0 deep into the final minutes, the hopelessness sinking into the crowd like a thick sea fog. On comes Ginger Prince supersub Eric Potts for the last 10. In the last five minutes, the freckled wunderkind turns the match on its head with two quick strikes. Ultimate redemption, the tears flow like rain. Moral of the story: Never never never leave early!

On the way home my Dad skidded the car off the road into a hedge, but who cared!

LVGull

May 13, 2016
I don't want to re-hash the many threads on the topic but today possibly marks the end of a long era of regret resulting from leaving a game early.

I was 12 years old and a season ticket holder. I'd travel to each home game on the No.2 bus from Shoreham. After the matches there would be massive queues for the bus home, and the buses that came along seemed to all go to Mile Oak or Hangleton with only the occasional 2 or 2a. So, if the match looked done and dusted, I'd leave at the 85 minute mark and be head of the queue. That is until the day in 1983 when we played Spurs at the Goldstone. As the 2nd half progressed, we didn't look like we were going to recover from 1-0 down, so I decided to cut my losses and head for the bus.

As I started walking along the Old Shoreham Road I heard a massive cheer - we'd just equalised. I was annoyed but pleased .We'd gained a point and I was still going to get home early. Then, as I reached the bus stop, another roar. We'd come back with two goals in the last two minutes to gain a famous victory. And I'd missed it. Never has being front of the queue felt so worthless, the appearance of the bus coming over the hill felt like a dagger to my heart and I've never been so miserable being on the top deck at the front - I didn't even pretend to drive.

From that day, I vowed never to leave a game early again and I never have. Through drubbings and drabbings, I've stayed until the bitter end because, as that match taught me, you just never know.

This evening marks the first chance I've had in 35 years to see Brighton beat Spurs at home in the top flight. No matter what the score at 85 minutes, I'll be sticking around cos I may not be around in another 35 years.

So, to the early leavers, I understand the attraction of leaving but I guarantee you won't spend 35 years regretting staying at a match or remembering the extra 30 minutes you had to queue. But you may end up regretting leaving and missing something magical.

Can’t understand why so many left tonight with 5 mins to go!!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Nice try.

Unfortunately it is 40 years since I could get the bus home to Portslade after a game. Now it is an 85 mile drive to somewhere else. Plus 40 minutes in the car park if I don't leave on 85 minutes.

So if we are 1-0 down and come back to win tonight I will be delighted, and will be smiling as I limp to the car park, safe in the knowledge that I won't have to wait another 35 years to see us play Spurs in the league. And you never know, next season it may be an afternoon kick off, and I may stay for a beer after the game.

(I leave when I want, OK?) :kiss::shrug:

But will you be able to pretend to drive?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here