Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To the early leavers, a cautionary tale

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
I lived on the old airfield estate near King's Manor school. Taking the train would have meant a massive walk from either Shoreham or Southwick stations.

Where was the old airfield exactly?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
If we are 1 - 0 down tonight with 5 minutes to go would you mind leaving early again to get the front seat of the bus? And don't hold yourself back - you drive if you want to...

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If we are 5 - 0 down tonight with 5 minutes to go would you mind leaving early again to get the front seat of the bus? And don't hold yourself back - you drive if you want to...

The stadium will be 75% empty by then. Even many of the die hard's (problem drinkers), would have retreated to the concrete concourses to down a few extra pints.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If we're 0-1 down with 30 minutes left this evening promise you'll go and pretend to drive a bus home. You can do it for us.

Too late never mind great minds think alike............................

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That is until the day in 1983 when we played Spurs at the Goldstone. As the 2nd half progressed, we didn't look like we were going to recover from 1-0 down, so I decided to cut my losses and head for the bus.

This won't help you at all, but oh boy, what a game to have chosen to do that on. Game looked done and dusted alright. To this day, I still relive that comeback in my mind when we look without hope yet only a goal down. In fact, I was thinking about that game only last night, as an example of an improbable result we've pulled off in the hope that we can get another one tonight.

Yeah, fair to say that last 5-10 mins was one of the most memorable I've experience in 38.5 years of watching the Albion.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Where was the old airfield exactly?

Wilmot Road / Stoney Lane - it's the council estate with all the "courts" - Penstone, Wilmot, Osbourne - those are the only ones I remember.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
"Chris Hughton certainly enjoys playing against Brighton," oh, the poetry of this thread.

And was Alan Brazil really once that svelte. He's a total lardarse these days.

Gerry Ryan's Header...you just don't see guys nod the ball like that anymore.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Is there something wrong with my sound? I was expecting a constant wall of noise and singing form the North Stand?

Happy days :)

That's because, if you remember, the F. A. forced us to remove the roof of the North Stand to lessen the noise on the advice of the St John's Ambulance. They couldn't cope with the amount of away fans suffering from shock or complaining of burst eardrums.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
It was derelict when I was a lad and used to play in that area only living up the road

Having grown up in one, it was pretty derelict in the houses they built there! There was still a large overgrown field with a couple of vicious horses in when I was growing up there which was great fun to go play in. Got built on about 30 years ago.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
do you know what - I don't know if I have ever seen those goals - I was clearly not at the match in person, as I do remember significant moments in my life supporting the Albion, and I don't ever recall watching those highlights. Thank you.

What an extraordinary game. Great to see Sir Chris Hughton showing off his silky skills, as well as well as Garry O'Reilly for Spurs.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Great story! And worth a bet on the same result [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I also have a 80 mile drive home. I stay til the end then fast walk or run to the car park (I think it was named gumping in a previous thread). I also try to arrive early so I can park near the exit.

I'm not being all ISIS about early leavers - it's absolutely everyone's prerogative to leave whenever they want - I'm just trying to highlight the risk of heartache and regret that it entails. :cheers:

Fair enough. I was expecting some ISIS-style follow up from others and thought I'd get my retaliation in first :lolol::bigwave:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Train, train, tube, train. 3hr journey home at best. Last midweek game I missed my connecting train home and had to wake the wench up to drive into Central London to get me. She was not happy! I shall be running out at the whistle. Who's got my medal?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You call it a cautionary tale, I call it the key to victory. I demand you leave early again, and thus guarantee a win for us.

Don’t be selfish!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Train, train, tube, train. 3hr journey home at best. Last midweek game I missed my connecting train home and had to wake the wench up to drive into Central London to get me. She was not happy! I shall be running out at the whistle. Who's got my medal?

Can she drop me back to Southend whilst she's up?

Ta.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here